What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Spa - Coyote brand warranty issue and really really bad customer service  (Read 24736 times)

arkybug

I have a Coyote Santa Fe (built by Arctic Spa's US division), which was delivered to us just under a year ago (October 2014). Within the first few months, we noticed we had lost an inch of water, and that some of our under water perimeter lights had cracked. We had a repair person replace those, but noticed more water loss as the months wore on. Eventually, we had to replace all the perimeter lights, as well as two cup holder lights. The last repair person who serviced the tub noticed the wooden frame inside the tub had cracked right through the boards, and that one of the support structures under the control panel was sagging. Our dealer submitted a warranty claim, and Arctic advised us that due to an issue with the wood used at the factory, we would be getting a new tub.

Great news... until we were told that there would be an additional fee for 'upgraded' parts of over $2000.

I just got off the phone with the dealer, and from the list he gave me, nothing is changing, except the new tub will have fewer perimeter lights. We're getting the same stereo (the new ones have blue tooth, which we won't be getting), the Eco Pack is the same, etc etc. I can only assume that because we got a deal on the first tub, Arctic is trying to recoup some of that money by charging us more for a replacement tub. Even though it is a factory defect that put us in this mess in the first place.

I called the Arctic warranty department - which left me in tears. The whole thing has been a nightmare, and I truly wish I had never purchased from Arctic Spa.

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Lets get the dealers name and your tubs serial number listed here.
Retired

arkybug

The dealer is Paradise Bay here in Calgary Alberta. They've been good to us so far. The problem as far as I can see is with Arctic themselves.

The serial number of the tub is a14fxi 58731.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
BBB.com
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

av8r

Use their Facebook page to link to this post.  Social media pressure is the best leverage you can get against something like this.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Is arctic charging you the 2k or the dealer?

arkybug

Arctic themselves are charging the $2k. I reviewed the warranty for the tub last night, and it states that 'we reserve the right to provide a replacement spa equal in value to the original purchase price as of the defective spa'. As our tub is less than a year old, I can't see how they are justifying the charge, when the dealer has confirmed we're not getting anything new and improved.

I will be contacting BBB today, and I am looking at consulting with a lawyer, but the Consumer Advocacy here in Canada is pathetic compared to the States. I did write a post on FB and linked it to Arctic's page. My feeling is that they are great at deleting negative comments or just ignoring those of us who have problems.

av8r

Arctic themselves are charging the $2k. I reviewed the warranty for the tub last night, and it states that 'we reserve the right to provide a replacement spa equal in value to the original purchase price as of the defective spa'. As our tub is less than a year old, I can't see how they are justifying the charge, when the dealer has confirmed we're not getting anything new and improved.

I will be contacting BBB today, and I am looking at consulting with a lawyer, but the Consumer Advocacy here in Canada is pathetic compared to the States. I did write a post on FB and linked it to Arctic's page. My feeling is that they are great at deleting negative comments or just ignoring those of us who have problems.

That's horrible "service".  So they're saying an Arctic tub depreciates at least $2000 the first year?

Tell them you're going to put the tub on a trailer with signs on it explaining what they did and park the trailer right near the dealer.  heehehe

MarKee

Hate to break it to you av8r, but any spa from any brand will depreciate at least 20% the first year.  Hot tubs are not cars, and there isn't a huge aftermarket demand to keep prices high on used tubs (less than 5% of the population own hot tubs).  Also, hot tub warranties do not transfer, which is another reason they have faster depreciation.

With that being said, I think $2000 is excessive to swap out a warranty spa that is a year old.  It's common in the industry for the customer to pay shipping, and a re-delivery fee in these type of situations.  Some dealers will eat the cost of these items to keep the customer happy.

av8r

Hate to break it to you av8r, but any spa from any brand will depreciate at least 20% the first year.  Hot tubs are not cars, and there isn't a huge aftermarket demand to keep prices high on used tubs (less than 5% of the population own hot tubs).  Also, hot tub warranties do not transfer, which is another reason they have faster depreciation.

With that being said, I think $2000 is excessive to swap out a warranty spa that is a year old.  It's common in the industry for the customer to pay shipping, and a re-delivery fee in these type of situations.  Some dealers will eat the cost of these items to keep the customer happy.

I should have been more clear.  I think we all realize these are not investments, but would any manufacturer want potential clients knowing this?  Most people never think about this....a good thing for the sellers!

Racenut

One more reason this industry is begging for some kind of regulation.  That's total crap.

castletonia

That is BS for a 1 year old spa.  Now if it was 5-6 years old, then I think it would be fair.  I had a customer with a 2002 Saratoga Victoria that had an unrepairable crack in the shell (this was 2007) and Saratoga and my customer agreed to a price of $3000 for a replacement hot tub including shipping costs and our cost to swap the spas.  In that case, I think the price was more than fair considering the  price of the new Saratoga Empire and the age difference.

av8r

That is BS for a 1 year old spa.  Now if it was 5-6 years old, then I think it would be fair.  I had a customer with a 2002 Saratoga Victoria that had an unrepairable crack in the shell (this was 2007) and Saratoga and my customer agreed to a price of $3000 for a replacement hot tub including shipping costs and our cost to swap the spas.  In that case, I think the price was more than fair considering the  price of the new Saratoga Empire and the age difference.

That's the difference between a company who actually value their customers and one who couldn't care less.

Hope you're reading this, Arctic Spas....we are...as are thousands of other, potential customers.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
" provide a replacement spa equal in value to the original purchase price"

original purchase price! No mention of any deprecation.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Quickbeam

As others have said, this is really, really poor customer service by Arctic. I remember reading quite a few negative reviews about Arctic service some time ago, but I thought they had changed. Maybe "Water Boy" who is on this forum and I believe sells Arctic, could give you some advice on the best way to deal with Arctic so you might get your issue resolved.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42