What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Spa - Coyote brand warranty issue and really really bad customer service  (Read 24734 times)

amy2421

Reasonable costs for the removal of the defective spa, and delivery and installation will be the responsibility of the spa owner. Freight will be paid to the nearest Coyote spas® distribution center.

I think Hottubguy is right, you've got them here. They state that they'll cover the replacement tub and freight to the dealer, so there is no way that delivering the new tub from the dealer to your home and removing the defective one could possibly cost $2000.

However if the manufacturer is providing the replacement tub and freight to the dealer, your problem may be with the dealer because they would be passing on to you any charges not covered by the manufacturer (i.e. delivery and removal).

Hot Tub Forum

arkybug

I've confirmed with the dealer that they will absorb the cost of delivery/freight/set up. The only charge I would have to pay (and am willing to do so) is to have my electrician on hand to hook up the new tub.

The manufacturer has confirmed that the costs are due to my getting new factory equipment installed... which is not noted anywhere in the warranty, that I can find.

I just wish they would do the right thing, already...

amy2421

I've confirmed with the dealer that they will absorb the cost of delivery/freight/set up. The only charge I would have to pay (and am willing to do so) is to have my electrician on hand to hook up the new tub.

The manufacturer has confirmed that the costs are due to my getting new factory equipment installed... which is not noted anywhere in the warranty, that I can find.

I just wish they would do the right thing, already...

So are they saying the new spa is not "equal in purchase price" to your existing defective spa? I think that given the inconvenience and aggravation you've already had to endure, the least they could do is absorb whatever price increase may have occurred in the past year+ (probably minimal, in reality and at their cost.) Especially since this is a known factory / materials problem. Just the negative press alone is not worth this for their reputation.

Do they have a Facebook page? Sometimes being vocal on social platforms can get things moving in the right direction.

arkybug

Yes, I find it hard to believe that my tub has depreciated that much, and I'm getting to the point where it's actually disgusting that BFM is going after me for the $2000, rather than replacing my tub outright.

I have posted on their Facebook page, and as of earlier today, it had not been removed (surprise, surprise). Also, I've sent an email to one of our local news Consumer Advocates. Not sure if any of this will do any good, but if there is a silver lining, I'm hoping that someone somewhere will find this forum or my FB comments and learn from my mistakes, and know that if you do spend thousands on a hot tub, be prepared to spend thousands more if you get a lemon.

amy2421

Yes, I find it hard to believe that my tub has depreciated that much, and I'm getting to the point where it's actually disgusting that BFM is going after me for the $2000, rather than replacing my tub outright.

I have posted on their Facebook page, and as of earlier today, it had not been removed (surprise, surprise). Also, I've sent an email to one of our local news Consumer Advocates. Not sure if any of this will do any good, but if there is a silver lining, I'm hoping that someone somewhere will find this forum or my FB comments and learn from my mistakes, and know that if you do spend thousands on a hot tub, be prepared to spend thousands more if you get a lemon.

But their warranty doesn't say anything about depreciation, it just says "equal in purchase price". So they should be comparing the price you paid to the price of the 1-year-newer model, which surely would be less than $2000. Unfortunately it also says that replacement is at their discretion so they can potentially act like they are doing you a giant favour by replacing the tub with a new one at any cost.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
2k sounds real excessive. Are their any specific reasons like you need a crane to deliver it or anything like that?  If it's just for the tub then that is ridiculous. Hopefully they rethink their decision. Good luck and keep us posted

I don't agree, When you drive it off the lot 2k is reasonable, but any dealer (not manufacturer) can decide how much his customer base is worth. A manufacturer sells thousands of tubs, not selling to 50-100 potential customers won't even be noticed as long as your marketing department does it's job, sell thousands of tubs. This is local. How much can the manufacturer do? Only help you figure out what local will give. Prices have gone up half that. The dealer should take half, only if business is good, again his choice. That's how we define dealers.

But according to the poster it's the manufacturer charging the 2k not the dealer. If the tub was 5 years old that would be reasonable but not less then a year old. The manufacturer made a product that failed it's not the customers fault.  That's why you buy from a strong manufacturer and a reputable dealer. I've had to do only 1 replacement in my years. My customer didn't pay anything. I picked up the freight costs and delivered the tub for free. The manufacturer replaced it like they are suppossed to do. If what he is saying is accurate then that puts arctic in a very poor light. And prices haven't gotten up that much in the last year. Marquis had a price increase and it was very minimal this year

See above, the sign of a quality dealer. Your welcome HTG
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Thanks Tman.  I just can't wrap my head around Arctic's thinking on this one. It is just such poor service and the spa owner deserves so much better then this. It's this type of thing that gives the industry in general a bad name

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member

I saw your post on FB and they didn't even respond.

arkybug

Here's an update on my hot tub drama:
I got a call today from our local TV Consumer advocate who wants to come by our place this week to do a news story on our tub. Also, I was looking at pics of the tub from when we had it delivered and installed. On that same day, I took a picture of the electrician hooking it up, and low and behold, there is a crack in the support structure. They delivered it to us already damaged.

Will keep you posted on how the news story goes. 

Quickbeam

Hopefully you will get some results with your TV, consumer advocate. Best of luck on it and yes, please do let us know how this turns out. And I've just got to say it again. Shame, shame on Arctic spa for treating a customer like this.

Water Boy

Arkybug, again I am sorry you are having to go through all of this. I hate reading and hearing stories like this. I wish there was something I could personally do to help you out.

Have you gone into the store to maybe try and have a sit down conversation with the dealer, maybe the manager or owner of the store? I am assuming you have, might sometimes face to face conversations might be more productive then trying to talk over the phone or email communication. Plus, maybe the person in charge doesn't know all of the details possibly. That would me best advice if you haven't done so already.

It sounds like Blue Falls is willing to replace the tub, but wants your dealer to move the equipment from the old spa to the new spa. It can' t imagine this taking the dealer more than the two hours that Arctic said that they would cover. Usually cooler heads prevail in situations like this. Maybe if it is the labor of moving the equipment is what your dealer is hung up on, maybe you guys can figure something out there so you can just get back to enjoying your hot tub. Good luck, and I hope you get this taken care of soon.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

arkybug

Hi Water Boy, thank you for your kind words.

The problem isn't with the dealer. I have confirmed that they will not charge me delivery/set up charges, or will charge to take my old tub away. The charges are coming from the manufacturer directly, as per their comments on my BBB complaint. They want me to pay for a new tub, because they want to 'recoup the cost of providing new equipment'.

If I were to have the tub fixed on site, the cost would be about $1000. I had an estimate done yesterday, so this just isn't an option, either.

During this entire episode, I can't help but think 'it's just a tub, why is the manufacturer being so insane about it?' They sell thousands of them, so why can they not absorb a couple grand? The hit to their pocket book is considerably less than the hit to mine. It just doesn't make sense...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
hahahahaha, so the manufacturer wants recoup the costs of honoring the warranty?

I have a feeling that after ALL the bad press from this, the "hit to their pocket" is going to be VASTLY more than just covering your spa.

Arctic had a fairly bad rep around here some years ago. It seemed to improve quite a bit when a few dealers and someone from the factory started posting here. I have a feeling that after this, there's not going to be another improvement.

Is this yet posted on the BBB website? And if so, can you post a link to it? I would love to read their official response.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

arkybug

Not posted on BBB yet, but they closed the file this morning and I expect it to be added to their site shortly.

http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business-reviews/swimming-pool-manufacturers-and-distributors/blue-falls-manufacturing-in-thorsby-ab-106215

Not surprisingly, they told me that if I wasn't happy with the warranty, I should have negotiated a better one. I guess BBB really is in bed with Business.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Not posted on BBB yet, but they closed the file this morning and I expect it to be added to their site shortly.

http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business-reviews/swimming-pool-manufacturers-and-distributors/blue-falls-manufacturing-in-thorsby-ab-106215

Not surprisingly, they told me that if I wasn't happy with the warranty, I should have negotiated a better one. I guess BBB really is in bed with Business.

BBB said that?  How do you negotiate a better warranty. They are almost as asinine as Arctic. I hope this thread remains at the top on this forum for everyone to see what kind of company Arctic is

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42