What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Spa - Coyote brand warranty issue and really really bad customer service  (Read 24735 times)

Nhsusan

Wow, I WAS going to look at Arctic Hot Tubs but maybe not now.

Hot Tub Forum

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
2k sounds real excessive. Are their any specific reasons like you need a crane to deliver it or anything like that?  If it's just for the tub then that is ridiculous. Hopefully they rethink their decision. Good luck and keep us posted

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
2k sounds real excessive. Are their any specific reasons like you need a crane to deliver it or anything like that?  If it's just for the tub then that is ridiculous. Hopefully they rethink their decision. Good luck and keep us posted

I don't agree, When you drive it off the lot 2k is reasonable, but any dealer (not manufacturer) can decide how much his customer base is worth. A manufacturer sells thousands of tubs, not selling to 50-100 potential customers won't even be noticed as long as your marketing department does it's job, sell thousands of tubs. This is local. How much can the manufacturer do? Only help you figure out what local will give. Prices have gone up half that. The dealer should take half, only if business is good, again his choice. That's how we define dealers.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

You would expect to pay a charge (typically negotiated with the dealer like stated above) to get the spa out and shipped to the factory, again sometimes if the pickup is "easy" a dealer will cover the charge just to keep the customer happy.  Buuut this is something worked out between the customer and dealer so what exactly is the Manufacturer trying to charge the $2,000 for?  simply "upgraded parts" lol I'd wipe my you know what with that bill and put a few stamps on it and send it back to them

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member

I don't agree, When you drive it off the lot 2k is reasonable, but any dealer (not manufacturer) can decide how much his customer base is worth. A manufacturer sells thousands of tubs, not selling to 50-100 potential customers won't even be noticed as long as your marketing department does it's job, sell thousands of tubs. This is local. How much can the manufacturer do? Only help you figure out what local will give. Prices have gone up half that. The dealer should take half, only if business is good, again his choice. That's how we define dealers.

But according to the poster it's the manufacturer charging the 2k not the dealer. If the tub was 5 years old that would be reasonable but not less then a year old. The manufacturer made a product that failed it's not the customers fault.  That's why you buy from a strong manufacturer and a reputable dealer. I've had to do only 1 replacement in my years. My customer didn't pay anything. I picked up the freight costs and delivered the tub for free. The manufacturer replaced it like they are suppossed to do. If what he is saying is accurate then that puts arctic in a very poor light. And prices haven't gotten up that much in the last year. Marquis had a price increase and it was very minimal this year

Water Boy

Sorry to hear about this. I have never heard of a structural damage issue on any of the Coyote Spas before. That is a new one to me. I wish there was something I could do to help. I will get with my contacts at Arctic Spas, and make sure they are aware of this.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Sam

There has to be more information that we don't have.  If not, that's total BS.  Can you think of any other factors to share with us?

arkybug

There has to be more information that we don't have.  If not, that's total BS.  Can you think of any other factors to share with us?

I have logged a BBB complaint and sent them the warranty info. Also, I've logged a complaint with the Alberta provincial government under their unfair trading practise legislation. Per the response from the Blue Falls Manufacturing regarding the BBB complaint, I have a choice of either having repairmen fix my tub on site (the first two hours of labour are free, and after that, it's several hours of work that I have to pay for), or $2000 for a replacement tub that does NOT contain any upgraded parts, per the dealer. This is the response from BFM per BBB:

1 )Blue Falls will replace the shell, jets, plumbing, cabinet and floor. There is no warranted reason to replace electronic equipment or cover. The old used equipment will be transferred from the original spa and installed in the new spa. Warranty will pay up to 2 hrs for the parts swap. Warranty on new spa with original equipment will be duration of existing.
2) Blue Falls is offering factory installed equipment at a low charge to only recuperate our costs. The cost to customer for new factory installed equipment will be $2056.77. Warranty on new equipment will be the duration of existing warranty or one year parts, which ever is longer. If the customer wants a new cover, it will be at an additional cost.

So they will pick apart my spa at my house, rebuild the structure, and charge me hours of labour, or I can get a new spa for $2000. I can't figure out why they feel the need to charge me, when apparently they have the best structurally sound tubs and the best service, and according to the dealer, replacing a spa happens so rarely. If this is truly the case, why are they so insistent on charging us? Doesn't it make sense to help us get this fixed and keep us as customers for life?

av8r

So they will pick apart my spa at my house, rebuild the structure, and charge me hours of labour, or I can get a new spa for $2000. I can't figure out why they feel the need to charge me, when apparently they have the best structurally sound tubs and the best service, and according to the dealer, replacing a spa happens so rarely. If this is truly the case, why are they so insistent on charging us? Doesn't it make sense to help us get this fixed and keep us as customers for life?

They'll tell you whatever you want to hear per-sales.  It's post-sales where the great dealers shine and the bad ones show their colors.  No different than used cars in that respect.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member

They'll tell you whatever you want to hear per-sales.  It's post-sales where the great dealers shine and the bad ones show their colors.  No different than used cars in that respect.

Very true but his beef shouldn't be with the dealer. This is all on Arctic. I would be beyond pissed with them. I always held them in a higher regard but after this my respect for them as a manufacturer has taken a serious hit

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Is there something in their written warranty stating that they will only cover up to a certain $ amount of warranty repairs? If not, then they're ripping you off, and I would have to put them lower on my list than even ole jimmy boy.

FYI, it's been my experience that with the BBB, the last person to respond WINS. Typically one side will give up responding, usually the consumer, and the company will then win.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

arkybug

I've read the warranty over so many times, my eyes hurt. I cannot find anything EXPLICIT, but their terminology is vague, and intentionally so, IMO.

Here is the link to their warranty

http://www.arcticspasbarrie.ca/coyote-hot-tub-warranty

Maybe someone on this forum can help me understand it. I have picked it apart and I think I'm in the right... but I know there are experts around that might be able to shed some light on the whole issue.

Btw, I have a consultation with a lawyer on Monday morning. It's a last resort, but I have to explore any option available to me.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
There will be no charge for on site labor to the customer for a period of one year from the date of original delivery or two years from manufacturers ship date, whichever comes first. Any costs associated with service and/or travels outside of the designated service area are the responsibility of the customer. If Coyote spas® determines that repair of the covered defect is not feasible; we reserve the right to instead provide a replacement spa equal in value to the original purchase price as of the defective spa. Spa replacement is done only at the discretion of Coyote spas®. Reasonable costs for the removal of the defective spa, and delivery and installation will be the responsibility of the spa owner. Freight will be paid to the nearest Coyote spas® distribution center.

That's right from their warranty. I would tell them to shove that 2k up there you know what and get a lawyer involved. They sold you a lemon and it's their responsibility to make it right

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Just out of curiosity what do you have the spa sitting on?  Concrete pad, wood deck or something else?

arkybug

We built up a foundation of treated lumber and gravel, about 1 to 1.5 feet deep (I'm estimating, here). I can't give you too many specifics (it was built by hubby), but the pressure treated wood is reinforced for stability with anchors and lots of steel cable, so that it doesn't shift. He did a lot of designing before coming up with something that would hold the weight of the tub and would be approved by the dealer.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42