What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: LED lights......or no?  (Read 22773 times)

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
Re: LED lights......or no?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 11:36:26 am »
I see the LED lights as a personal choice.  The only time my lights are turned on is to see how to get in and out of the tub when it is dark.  Other than that, I only see the light of the stars.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 11:36:26 am »

Monk

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 11:41:48 am »
Do you realize you just voided your warranty... Thats the American Way, I belive it's also called "penny wise and pound foolish

Really? Why did my delaer sell it to me?

I just called him, I have a full warranty with the spa, but the LED only has a 2 year warranty.

I am living on a fixed income from the military, I lost my right leg and right hand to a bomb in Iraq. So saving money is important to me.

Monk

shabba34

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 11:49:10 am »
Do you realize you just voided your warranty... Thats the American Way, I belive it's also called "penny wise and pound foolish. Your tub may already be out of warranty but please dont give advice to someone that is buying a brand new hot tub if your advice is to void the warranty on day 1
Micah, what side of the bed did you wake up on this morning???  That being said, if that item is not approved by said MFG, he did just void his warranty.  Whether or not the MFG chooses to cause blame to any service issue because of the unapproved item is up to them. ;)

RPG

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 01:05:54 pm »

By all means, get the lights and ENJOY them as they truly add to the ambience, the atmosphere, and the entire experience of owning a spa.

I liken it to the scenario when people ask me "Why do you feel the need to carry a magic fairy wand?  There is no danger here."

I reply "I'd rather have it and never need it than need it one time and not have it."

You never know when the soft luminous glow might be just the catalyst for a romantic romp in the spa! ;)

Titillating wishes and slipper knockin' dreams....

The Spa Fairy

Monk

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 10:53:33 am »
Wait a second, I'm confused now...did you buy it on e-bay, or from your dealer?
Either way I have yet to see a warranty that lets you install "Non-factory" items on a spa without voiding the warranty.  Most warrantys also say in bold print that if anyone other than a factory trained tech does ANY repairs or modifications the warranty is void
This includes buying an ozone or L.E.D. light from a website

On a seperate note, I and every other American owes you our thanks.  We can never repay you for what you lost.  You have my deepest gratitude and respect.  
Micah

I bought it from dealer, who buys them from eBay. My warranty is FULLY intact, what the f**k else do you want to know? Cripes man, are you a dealer pissed off because I didn't buy YOUR brand or what? If you are a dealer, you sure are shooting yourself in the foot --- PUN intended.

Monk

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 04:40:18 pm »
1) If you're not willing to pay for the upgrade in full, then it's obviously not that big of an issue for you.

2) If it is a big issue for you and you decide to go through knowingly buying a non-approved product to jerry-rig or hotwire your hot tub (even though it is just a simple plug) you deserve any and all warranty failures and subsequent costs that come your way.  I have no sympathy for people who willfully bend the rules for something so trivial as money.

My own personal viewpoint is that I don't really ever use the lights.  It's a nice ooh-and-ahh factor if you want to show all the people on the block that you've got a swanky hot tub and think you're spa royalty, but doesn't add much to the performance of the spa.  If I use the lights I do a simple blue LED and usually dim it down.

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 05:48:15 pm »
We have decided to go with the lights....and have them installed by the dealer.  We do not want to take a chance and void the warranty!

I didn't stop to think how color can definitely affect the mood.  It can help to sooth and relax.  

I think we would have been fine either way.....but I think we're going for it anyway!

Thanks all for your input.

Monk

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 12:11:43 am »
Lets go back to what my problem was with your post. You gave advice to someone, and it was bad advice.  Just beacuse you are cheap and trying to save a buck, dosent mean you should give that same bad advice out to other people.  The fact remains that if said person spends 200 for the mfg. to install a light.  The light system as well as all electrical componets will be covered under warranty.  If they follow your advice, (being cheap or just failure to think it through)and choose to install something on their own, and anything goes wrong, they voided their warranty.  Just the fact that you substitute a manufactures part for something you got off of ebay voids your warranty.  And last but not least if a consumer works on any electrical item in the spa, they void most warrantys.  
Your advice to STEMAY (though you may have had the best intention)was based on very limited knowlege.  It's kind of like when someone has had their spa for 30 days and thinks they are a chemical expert
I have been in this industry for over 20 years. If I say that what you are recomending will void a warranty, it's because i've seen it happen.  
If giving customers sound advice is shooting myself in the foot, well i must have shot myself a thousand times.

I am done with you. One thing I learned after 23 years in the military is that my time has more value than someone trying to twist the words of truth.

You sir called me a cheap a**. Is this how you treat your customers? Didn't think so.

Monk
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 12:27:12 am by Monk »

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006, 11:37:22 am »
The LED light I put in plugged directly into the the socket the plain bulb used. I've had two warranty calls since putting it in, was never advised I was in danger of voiding my warranty, they even waived the trip charge.

How can changing a light bulb void a warranty? How does the hot tub know instead of a plain white light there is an LED light in its place?

I'd be interested if anyone (consumer) on the forum can actually tell of how putting in a LED light voided a warranty.

J._McD

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 12:47:10 pm »
You have to love a website that caters to the cheap a**.  A dealer offers a product for $200 but some idiot thinks he can save a buck and put it in himself.  The cheap a** has no clue if it is a 6 pin a 12 pin or a 36 pin led light.  The cheap a** also thinks he can just plug it in and it should work.  To bad you have to change jumpers and reprogram the settings to make it work.  
DON'T BE A CHEAP A**!!!
If you want the lights, go for it. But pay the dealer, not some idiot on e-bay

What our pirce conscious advisor does not know is that there are 8 LED light lens's installed instead of the standard 1.  Thus, his advice should be to buy 7 more of those suckers, drill the shell and install tha additional lens's, and I would not suggest that.

NOT ALL advice you get on the web is accurate or good advice, albeit sincere and opinionated.

As for the lights, they are easy to pass on and there are better things you can do with $200, BUT, IF you have an extra $200, and you are getting the Piper Glen, they are the sizzle that sells the steak.

Apple pie is good, but when you walk into a house and they just baked an apple pie that is better.  Simple to say, but do it now or don think about it again.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:11:05 pm by J._McD »

J._McD

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006, 01:09:42 pm »
The LED light I put in plugged directly into the the socket the plain bulb used. I've had two warranty calls since putting it in, was never advised I was in danger of voiding my warranty, they even waived the trip charge.

How can changing a light bulb void a warranty? How does the hot tub know instead of a plain white light there is an LED light in its place?

I'd be interested if anyone (consumer) on the forum can actually tell of how putting in a LED light voided a warranty.

A word of caution, the dealer is your ally and front line of defense.  He is your warranty service center and usually make the determination that it will be submitted as a warranty consideration.  IF you experience a problem, he is going to know about it because you are going to call him to fix it under warranty.  

Treat him rudely, be inconsiderate of him, short change him, pi$$ him off, rip him a new a$$hole for your bad water chemistry if you wish, BUT when he voids your warranty because of the "techinical" fine print included in the warranty, do not complain.

Best advice here, IF you have that type of a personality, don't cross the line, because paybacks can cost you in the end. ;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006, 03:15:10 pm »
What our pirce conscious advisor does not know is that there are 8 LED light lens's installed instead of the standard 1.  Thus, his advice should be to buy 7 more of those suckers, drill the shell and install tha additional lens's, and I would not suggest that.

NOT ALL advice you get on the web is accurate or good advice, albeit sincere and opinionated.

As for the lights, they are easy to pass on and there are better things you can do with $200, BUT, IF you have an extra $200, and you are getting the Piper Glen, they are the sizzle that sells the steak.

Apple pie is good, but when you walk into a house and they just baked an apple pie that is better.  Simple to say, but do it now or don think about it again.

I thought the $200 was for just 1 LED light, I got mine for $180. The multi light LED's were about $500 on the Cayman, I assume that's the same as for the Piper.

I would agree that $200 is not much money since the Piper is $10K and is worth paying in case you would like it. I bought it for that reason.

Monk

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 09:38:52 am »

This is my point that seems no one can answer. I've also noticed what I call selective reading here. I have stated several time that my DEALER and the FACTORY said using after market light bulbs will NOT effect the warranty on my spa, yet "some" people choose not to read that part of my statement. Funny isn't it?

In fact the factory rep explained it this way. Say you have a Ford and the battery goes dead, instead of buying a Motorcraft battery, you buy a Sears Diehard instead. Would Ford void your warranty..... NO!

Now, when it come to pumps, and such, I can see where you call your dealer and have them service your spa, that is why you bought it from them.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:15:02 am by Monk »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 09:48:37 am »
Can a dealer confirm if installing this unit would void my warrenty?

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4461190840&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fcgiurl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcgi.ebay.com%252Fws%252F%26fkr%3D1%26from%3DR8%26satitle%3D4461190840%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1]Click here for the light[/link]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:54:16 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 10:29:06 am »
Are you people kidding me?  It's a frigging light bulb.  I'm all for supporting my local dealer, but come on.  Drewstar's link has 100% positive feedback, and echoes what has been said here.  Buyer quotes: "Installed item easily. A great addition to any hot tub. You will love this item!"  "Very fast delivery, the light works great."  etc.

IF it is a warranty issue, that's different (and I still don't see how swapping out a light bulb is 'crossing the line' with your dealer).  Reminds me very much of when computers had the "warranty void" stickers so you couldn't even add a modem or upgrade your memory, and the dealer could charge you 5 times what they were worth for "approved" components.  

I would think it'd be easy enough to ask your local dealer what his thoughts are after you buy, or call your state's Office of Consumer Affairs and ask them.

By the way Stemay, enjoy the new tub!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 10:29:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42