What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis Spirit vs. Bullfrog AL5  (Read 29741 times)

AmyTC

Marquis Spirit vs. Bullfrog AL5
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:20:35 pm »
Trying to decide between these two brands, these models.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
They are comparable in size and price, but which is a better tub?

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis Spirit vs. Bullfrog AL5
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:20:35 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Marquis Spirit vs. Bullfrog AL5
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:55:40 pm »
I like the Spirit.  It's a nice look and a tad bigger.  It's a high quality hot tub.  It's a little deeper then the Bullfrog which is a positive in my mind.  Whichever ever one you end up with get it in the 240v option.  On the Marquis by doing that you upgrade the pump to a 160GPM pump which makes a big difference

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:52:48 pm »
Both are reputable manufactures, I really like that little A5, its very loaded for a small spa (plenty of lights including exterior lights, aux button to turn your pump on, big/bright LCD controls) and of the 16 different JetPak options YOU get to pick the 3 JetPak/Jet designs that are YOUR favorite rather than just being stuck with what they are giving you...personally I love the Oscillator in that lounge

Brian3248484

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:50:06 pm »
I just got my first hot tub about a month ago and got the spirit with the 220 volt option.  It's a great tub with an excellent and responsive company that has been great to work with.  One of my jets stopped working and they sent me a giant box of like 10 of each type of jet the spirit has so problem solved.  They also respond to emails extremely quickly and fix any concerns.  The only drawback to the spirit in my opinion is that the spirits jets can not all go on at once.  There is a turn knob that does essentially upper back then another for legs and lower back then another for whirlpool.  Everything else has been great though.

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 04:39:52 am »
I like the curved front of the Spirit and the layout allows for 4 seating positions, or room for 1-2 more people if you needed it. Also, there are a lot more foot and back of leg jets on the Spirit.  Like Hottubguy said, if therapy is a main concern get the MP160 240V upgrade on the Spirit, the extra 40 gallons per minute is definitely noticeable. Good luck, you can't go wrong with Marquis.

Sam

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:46:01 am »
  The only drawback to the spirit in my opinion is that the spirits jets can not all go on at once.  There is a turn knob that does essentially upper back then another for legs and lower back then another for whirlpool.  Everything else has been great though.

That's one of the advantages of the Bullfrog.  You can run everything at once and still get great pressure.

av8r

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 01:37:16 pm »
I like the Spirit.  It's a nice look and a tad bigger.  It's a high quality hot tub.  It's a little deeper then the Bullfrog which is a positive in my mind.  Whichever ever one you end up with get it in the 240v option.  On the Marquis by doing that you upgrade the pump to a 160GPM pump which makes a big difference

Aren't the seats in the BF lower which makes the effective water level the same? 

av8r

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 01:39:24 pm »
  The only drawback to the spirit in my opinion is that the spirits jets can not all go on at once.  There is a turn knob that does essentially upper back then another for legs and lower back then another for whirlpool.  Everything else has been great though.

That's one of the advantages of the Bullfrog.  You can run everything at once and still get great pressure.

Plus you can move the jets around and change to different configurations, etc making the tub a "new" tub each time you do.

We went with BF for lots of reasons, but the 90% less plumbing, more efficient design, 80% fewer holes in the tub, etc were too much to ignore when compared to the conventional, older tub designs.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 07:14:31 pm »
LOL "older tub designs" Should be a bullfrog salesman.
Retired

av8r

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 07:17:28 pm »

It's factual.  You may not like it, but it is true.

MarKee

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 08:51:51 pm »
The 90% less plumbing statement is false. I count at least 12 tiny leg jets that each have to have their own plumbing line, also I believe there are lines that run behind the JetPaks to help with stagnant water, and there is plumbing running to each JetPak, the filters, bottom suctions etc. 

Running with those small bullet jets for the feet, and restricting flow, it's understandable that you can run all of the jets at the same time, but it's not going to be very therapeutic in my opinion.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 08:52:01 pm »

So the other manufacturers don't have as big an R&D department as BF?

The only advantage it has is with you. It's right for you. And no one can say it's better for anyone. Stop selling.

And more efficient how? You can use a smaller pump to get the same feel? Or the right feel? Or are we talking about jet power again? We have already hashed that one to death.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:59:04 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

av8r

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 11:03:15 am »
The 90% less plumbing statement is false. I count at least 12 tiny leg jets that each have to have their own plumbing line, also I believe there are lines that run behind the JetPaks to help with stagnant water, and there is plumbing running to each JetPak, the filters, bottom suctions etc. 

Running with those small bullet jets for the feet, and restricting flow, it's understandable that you can run all of the jets at the same time, but it's not going to be very therapeutic in my opinion.

It's not false.  You can look at photos of their tubs without the shell and easily verify it. 

The recirculation for behind the jetpaks is done via small holes in the manifold.  Very simple and effective.  No additional plumbing required.

Your opinion on therapy is noted, however, a wet test by yourself would allow you some actual data vs speculation.

I'd suggest you take the time to understand what it is you're commenting on as you obviously haven't done that.

av8r

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 11:10:39 am »

So the other manufacturers don't have as big an R&D department as BF?

The only advantage it has is with you. It's right for you. And no one can say it's better for anyone. Stop selling.

And more efficient how? You can use a smaller pump to get the same feel? Or the right feel? Or are we talking about jet power again? We have already hashed that one to death.

I haven't read anyone stating or alluding to other manufacturer's R&D department size.  Are you commenting in the wrong thread?  BF holds many patents on a new, innovative design.  They spent the time and resources to develop and patent (no small feat...terribly expensive and time consuming to deal with USPTO.GOV) something different and it's expected that some will attempt to diminish that in an effort to hang onto legacy processes, designs, etc.  Thinking people will see through that and understand.

That's the thing about forums.  They exist to convey ideas, information, opinions.  I was all set to order a Jetsetter until I came here and found out about the BF brand.  Some reading, a call to their engineers (yes, they were happy to have an engineer discuss their design and answer my questions) and a visit to a dealer caused me to change course.  Without that information I'd be relaxing in another tub, blissfully ignorant.  Not a bad thing, but not the best solution.  You can call it selling if you'd like.  I try to give back to a community when it helps me.  So far, I've had several thank yous via PM and a few friends consider BF where they never knew it existed.  I'm pleased with that result.

Less plumbing = less resistance, less heat loss which = better efficiency.  That's the short story.  You're smarter than you're letting on.  I'm not biting on your stinky bait regarding power.  Nice try, though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:14:50 am by av8r »

Sam

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 12:10:00 pm »
People always resist new ideas and cling to old ones.  It's human nature. 

Also, love the guy who has never been in a Bullfrog or seen one built telling us it's not therapeutic and there is more plumbing than claimed  :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 12:10:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42