What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2013 Hot Springs Vanguard for $2500 -- Can This Possibly Be Legit?  (Read 13353 times)

lderochi

Hi,

Former hot tub owner who had to give it up due to an employment relocation, and I've been poking around looking for used or floor models for the new house. I'm trying to not spend too much, as I may have to move again in the next few years. Anyway, today I found this ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-SPRING-VANGUARD-HOT-TUB-WSALTWATER-SYSTEM-MINT-CONDITION-/271414194483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f318bf133

I've emailed the owner and he says it's a 2013 model, and he will ship it free. It's tempting, even without the ability to examine in advance. But I cannot believe somebody is selling a 2013 Vanguard PLUS shipping for $2500. I mean, I just can't imagine how that's feasible. Thoughts? I would be protected by the ebay guarantee if it ends up being a complete piece of crap, but still.

Hot Tub Forum

Isaac-1

Re: 2013 Hot Springs Vanguard for $2500 -- Can This Possibly Be Legit?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:32:13 pm »
I would say it is a scam, probably lifted the photo from a completed auction.  It is a new ebay user (account created last week) with 0 feedback, also he is asking you to contact him outside of ebay's message system before bidding.

Each of the above is a warning sign, any one of them should make you cautious, but sometimes they are worth the risk.  I bought my HS Jetsetter off ebay for $1,000from a 0 feedback account, but it was a cash on pickup deal (met half way 100 miles away in a parking lot, he was the guy with the hot tub on a trailer ), but in my case I thought it worth the risk as 1, he had relisted and lowered the starting bid price by $300 after it did not sell the first time around, and secondly while he did have 0 feedbacks, the account was 3 years old, most scammers would not wait that long.

p.s. at a minimum I doubt those photos are new, look at all the leaves on the ground, those pictures were likely taken months ago, also note the block of text giving the email address is really a graphic probably done this way to get around ebay auto censor system on giving out email addresses outside of ebays messaging system

p.p.s. Yep, scam, a little google searching found an auction archive with those same photos used on a 2011 HS Vanguard also in VA with a buy it now of $6150 from last fall.  Punctuation was changed a little along with the year, but both titles had Vanguard and WSALTWATER SYSTEM in them
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:00:37 pm by Isaac-1 »

Ryan VSO

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:31:45 pm »
your purchase of 100 % covered by ebay and paypal , the wort thing that happen is they will credit you back once you fill out a claim .

Isaac-1

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:40:50 pm »
That coverage only applies if you work within the ebay system, going with an outside contact email is likely the first step in getting you outside the ebay system.

Ryan VSO

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 11:51:09 pm »
if he makes the pruchase through ebay he is covered , you can exchange emails through ebay ... just makesure you pay via paypal and that you purchase it on ebay .

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 12:50:40 am »
Your mama ever teach you anything?    If it's too good to be true it probably is  ;)

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 08:53:29 am »
Run Forest Run!

dunecritter

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 08:54:31 am »
100% Scam... Seller with zero transactions...Shipping Free...and a 2013 Vanguard WITH ACE...REALLY??? Absloute scam....

dunecritter

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 10:02:13 am »
Ha ha....Sad that we have to deal with scammers.... Heres another auction by the same seller....Exact same add but with a 15 Thousand dollar Snap on rolling chest... http://www.ebay.com/itm/271414221948  and no reserve price...Don't even waste another good moment of your time on this Scam!

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 10:32:19 am »
if he makes the pruchase through ebay he is covered , you can exchange emails through ebay ... just makesure you pay via paypal and that you purchase it on ebay .

Ryan, I wouldn't depend on Ebay or PayPal to help me.   They are concerned with making money on their sales, and have little concern with actually helping folks if things go wrong.  At least, that has been my experience with them.   
Stay away from the "deal too good to be true".    Scammers have been known to highjack good accounts (with great positive feedback histories) and peddle them as their own.   If you want to do a deal on Ebay, ask the seller to send you a few photographs of the item together with the front page of his local newspaper, with the date clearly visible.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 10:48:06 am »
Hi,

Former hot tub owner who had to give it up due to an employment relocation, and I've been poking around looking for used or floor models for the new house. I'm trying to not spend too much, as I may have to move again in the next few years. Anyway, today I found this ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-SPRING-VANGUARD-HOT-TUB-WSALTWATER-SYSTEM-MINT-CONDITION-/271414194483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f318bf133

I've emailed the owner and he says it's a 2013 model, and he will ship it free. It's tempting, even without the ability to examine in advance. But I cannot believe somebody is selling a 2013 Vanguard PLUS shipping for $2500. I mean, I just can't imagine how that's feasible. Thoughts? I would be protected by the ebay guarantee if it ends up being a complete piece of crap, but still.

FYI, I think I was offered a 2013 Vanguard without the salt system for about $8900 (subject to my questionable memory)  The free shipping makes me extra suspicious. I could see someone giving a huge discount to just get rid of it if they paid cash and you could come get it. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:29 am »
I would say it is a scam, probably lifted the photo from a completed auction.  It is a new ebay user (account created last week) with 0 feedback, also he is asking you to contact him outside of ebay's message system before bidding.

I just had a casual look at they Ebay entry and while I didn't see the part about contacting outside of Ebay, that is a definite no-no for Ebay. Very suspicious.

I went back and saw the contact outside. Didn't Ebay use to have a REPORT AUCTION function?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:56:52 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Ryan VSO

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:17:45 am »

Ryan, I wouldn't depend on Ebay or PayPal to help me.   They are concerned with making money on their sales, and have little concern with actually helping folks if things go wrong.  At least, that has been my experience with them.   
Stay away from the "deal too good to be true".    Scammers have been known to highjack good accounts (with great positive feedback histories) and peddle them as their own.   If you want to do a deal on Ebay, ask the seller to send you a few photographs of the item together with the front page of his local newspaper, with the date clearly visible.

We sell on ebay and if you dont deliver in their timeframe , doesnt ship the item or doesnt respect your return policy , they refund the custumer credit card , take the money from your bank account and even if the seller doesnt have any funds , the custumer will get his money back. Since we have to give a return policy wich dealers wont , its actually safer buying on ebay than buying from a dealer . Ebay and paypal changed alot in the last 2 years , havent seen the ad, if it require you to go outside ebay then yah it is probably scam , at that price he could of simply post it for free on a classified website and it would be gone in the hours
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:22:48 am by Ryan VSO »

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:22 am »
Of course, if this was a hi jacked account and the buyer went "outside" of ebay to do the deal.  He would be screwed.  Honest sellers like yourself are what Ebay should be all about.

Ryan VSO

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 11:48:10 am »
Hi,

Maybe the Moderator Could compare the IP of this member to the one you received by emails ... To me , he put alot of effort in his tittle and he seems to like to CAPS the first letter of each word just like in the ebay ad , I would suspect this guy to promote his sale through the forum or another crazy way by HS to put another Hs topic in the forum :P

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 11:48:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42