What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub adventure (Wood tub)  (Read 27551 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Hot Tub adventure (Wood tub)
« on: September 27, 2008, 05:12:17 pm »
I sold a wooden hot tub. I will be replacing an old one with a very simple system.

I ordered the tub from Robert's Hot Tubs.

Now, as they say, "some assembly required."

I'll keep you posted. This is going in place of an older tub, on a deck high up on a hill overlooking some acreage above Ventura. Good ocean view. Should be fairly easy - [size=12]they always say that[/size][/b] - so stay tuned.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub adventure (Wood tub)
« on: September 27, 2008, 05:12:17 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Tub adventure (Wood tub)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:15:11 pm »
Patience is a virtue!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 08:41:17 pm »
Patience is a virtue!!
You sure took your time sayin' that!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:02:20 pm »
PLEASE, take a quick look at the assembly instructions. Our tubs are VERY different that anything anyone has ever made in the past. There is NO "final stave". No pack of various sized staves to fit in at the end, and nothing to cut. This tends to be a bit confusing to people that are used to that type of (inaccurate) milled wood. It should go together in 1/2 to 2/3 of the time you're accustomed to ( I can do one in about 20 minutes).... The number 1 mistake people make is to initially put the staves on too tight. CALL MY CELL if you have any questions or problems.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 12:10:13 am »
Awesome! Thanks, I will.

8-)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 06:54:35 pm »
The tub is still in the crate, in my warehouse. I had some other jobs to finish, but I got out to this job yesterday, and in one and a half hours we had removed all the plumbing, moved one solar sensor, measured the old tub so I can duplicate the benches, dismantled the tub itself and lowered all the pieces to the ground floor where we stacked them for the owner.

Waiting patiently:

They had TWO jets - here is one. They only want two in the new tub (I know I know), but I'm sure they will be very strong.

They had a very low-tech drain system - a hole, drilled low in the (Gordon and Grant) tub had a cork in it.

When it was time for a water change, they just pulled the cork and the water ran out. The water ran onto the heater, pump, filter, control system, and anything which was stored in the shed area below the tub. There was wood rot in this area - big surprise - and it was not very convenient. So, of course, I will be plumbing in a tee and valve to be able to drain the tub out to the avocado groves that surround this house for close to a mile in each direction.

I can't wait to get some photos of the awesome view from the tub! But I think I want to bring my real camera so I can show the whole job and the view for my album in the store.

8-)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 08:53:45 pm »
Soon we shall see what truly is the best hot tub! ;D ;D ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 07:39:01 pm »
We got rained out today. Almost one tenth of an inch!!!

Back on the job Tuesday.

8-)

gwstudios

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 03:00:17 am »
Please don't take offense, but that's a barrel with a couple of jets.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »
Please don't take offense, but that's a barrel with a couple of jets.

You are so right! Did I mention that the cork was INSIDE the tub so you had to get it loose with your toe?

Why would I (or anyone) take offense at that statement? It is not only true, but the folks who have tubs love them for what they have as much as for what they do NOT have.

I had one - my very first hot tub was a real hot tub. I had some trouble with it due to the fact that it was already about 15 years old when I got it, and so was the equipment. But while it lasted, we loved the deep seating, the high volume of water, the roominess and the ability to shut down all the equipment and still soak for an hour in peace and quiet.

I enjoy jets more now, so I usually have a portable spa with lots of them. But there are folks who still love what a simple tub can do for them.

This one was a Gordon and Grant, but I am replacing it with a tub from Robert's Hot tubs. However, as I mentioned, I have not been able to talk the folks into any jet upgrades. I tried...

8-)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:20:37 pm by Chas »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 05:00:42 pm »
We're sweating on the job today - too hot for me. But we need to get 'er done, so we will push ahead.

This is the THIRD tub to grace this location. Here are two slats, one from the oldest tub, and one from the one we just took out.

Here is the equipment area

Here is a look from the floor of the equipment area looking up through the hole in the deck.

8-)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 08:12:38 pm »
  Looks good!    Did you pull a permit for all the work, you guys doing the dry rot repair also??

I agree while I love having jets on and the feel on my aches and pains,  I have a perfect place on my 6 acres one of those would sit great on!!   ;)  

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 10:57:23 pm »
This reminds me of the one we use at our cabin up North.  The water is pumped out of the lake with a generator right into the round wooden tub.  The only bacteria that grows is what was originally pumped in!  (yuck!  :P n)

Up North Bacteria is totally different than Surburban Bacteria!
2005 HS Vanguard

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 01:25:21 am »
Well we spent most of the day trying to get this job wrapped up. The view is spectacular! I told the customer that when he goes on vacation, he should call me and I will come use his tub every night. Free!

A couple of changes in the plans came up today, so we didn't get to fill the tub, but it should be done tomorrow or Monday.

I think this is where we left off - old tub out of the way, plumbing all cut. Those really old benches are from a tub that sat here over thirty years ago! Beyond those are the benches from the tub we just removed. They are going to be sanded and reused. Behind those are the new staves, ready to go into place.

Bottom is built - one of the two suctions drilled.

I got to sweat down in the boiler room below as my worker began to put the slats in place. He is in the new tub, hence the socks.

This was my view as Patrick placed each board - we are down to the last few in this shot. I am standing on a gas heater to reach in and pound on the staves with a rubber hammer.

These things are so peaceful, so restful. Even empty!

Did I mention the view??

8-)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 01:31:14 am »
 Looks good! you guys doing the dry rot repair also??  

Turned out there was only one board which had rot - the customer had cut two other boards to gain access and see if he could get the old tub to hold water. So we replaced all three boards. It took about ten minutes once the tub was completely out of the way. They were not even nailed in place - simply nailed to a rimmer on one end.

It was all constructed of Pressure Treated lumber, and had been rebuilt between the first and second hot tub.

8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 01:31:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42