What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub adventure (Wood tub)  (Read 27549 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Hot Tub adventure (Wood tub)
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2008, 01:22:28 pm »
Chas.......where's that brochure quality picture, with the tub full of water, a killer view in the background, and no garden hoses laying around ?  ;)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:25:37 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2008, 01:22:28 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2008, 06:16:32 pm »
Chas.......where's that brochure quality picture, with the tub full of water, a killer view in the background, and no garden hoses laying around ?

I'll work on it. The deck is 30 years old, or at least half of it is. The only two places to stand - other than on the deck next to the tub - are narrow decks which run along two sides of the tub.

However, the good news is that I am going to go back up in the next few days and I plan to bring my real camera, and I'm going to try to be there around sunset. So I'll see what I can do for ya!!

Awesome tub - great service - thanks!!

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

cedar tub

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2008, 10:26:55 am »
So Chas, what method of sanitation is your client going to use on this tub?  So far, Nature 2 with 2tsp of dichlor before and after soaking has worked with ours.  I also turned on the ionizer.
I've got wood and it's 5ft x 4ft

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2008, 03:18:03 pm »
He has a floater with bromine tabs. I'm going to suggest he use Brilliance.

8-)

cedar tub

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2008, 09:04:27 pm »
Hey Chas, I expect Dr Spa to have something to say about that.  He is not pro-bromine in wood tubs. Callaway, my manufacturer also did not recommend bromine.  From all I've read, Bromine is the worst choice for wood.  That's why I went with the Nature 2 low chlorine recipe. My tub also came with an ionizer.  On the other hand, there are two cedar tub manufactures that sell bromine for their tubs.  I'd love to use a floating bromine system just for the simplicity.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2008, 09:12:49 pm »
Chas.......where's that brochure quality picture, with the tub full of water, a killer view in the background, and no garden hoses laying around ?  ;)

Nothing like a wood tub. Absolutely beautififul.......
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

cedar tub

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 03:53:05 pm »
Chas, during the break-in period of this tub are you experiencing problems keeping pH up?  Our tub is still leaching tannic acid which I find very difficult to adjust for long.  

I was told that this is normal during the break-in.  I've used the tub several times, but have to adjust pH every time.  The water is now a nice tea color again and I'm going to drain it Thurs evening or Fri morning.  Since the weekend is over I've turned off the heat and will continue to keep it chlorinated which helps with the neutralization.  

cedar tub

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2009, 10:52:31 am »
He has a floater with bromine tabs. I'm going to suggest he use Brilliance.

8-)

Hello Chas,
It has been a while and I wonder if you are still performing the maintenance on this tub?  I'm mainly curious about the sanitation method your customer uses.  Is he still using a floater?  

I've been using Nature 2 and have been really happy with it.  I started out using the dichlor recipe referred to in the manual and not using MPS.  However, the dichlor just caused the pH to drop and after about two weeks, the tannins would turn the water the color of tea and the cya would be too high.  It didn't hurt anything other than pH, but I wanted clear water.  I wound up changing water every two months which wasn't so bad.  Now, I use the N2 with MPS and my water has remained clear.  I've had a much easier time maintaining TA and pH but still find the need to run some air.  I do still use the electronic ionizer, but I keep it at a low setting since we use the N2.

A tried and true method using a floater would be the ultimate.  But I don't want the chemicals to eat away the tub.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2009, 10:13:19 am »
Well I know that most manufacturers don't like to see people using floaters in tubs, especially with Tri-Chlor tablets in them. But that is what this customer has used, and this is the third tub in this same location, going back thirty years. He figures that if the tub has to be replaced a couple of years earlier then so be it, he wants the ease of doing things the way he is used to doing them.

I can't argue with that, but I did try...

The tub is doing well, and as far as I know they are using it every night.

8-)

cedar tub

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2009, 04:43:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  If I knew I could get 10yrs and have less maintenance, I'd probably do the same.  I'll keep using the N2 and MPS for now.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2009, 04:43:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42