What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Inventory--D1  (Read 5949 times)

2busymom

Spa Inventory--D1
« on: May 22, 2007, 01:40:04 am »
I have never owned a spa before, but would really like one.  My short list includes the Marquis U630, HS Vanguard and Soveriegn.  I've wet tested 3 of these.  I was very interested in looking at the D1, and after speaking with the sales person, I have decided to look at the Diplomat and the Amore Bay.  

But here is my question, the D1 showroom had hardly any tubs.  :(  The Salesperson kept apologizing and told me that he'd sold so many off the floor in the last few days.  They anticipated getting some in the next 2-4 weeks.  I thought that the sales floor would have models you could see, step into and even have water in for wet tests in different types.

How do dealers choose which tubs to fill for testing?  Do most dealers just order a very low inventory and sell from their floor?  Does that mean that if/when I buy a tub it will have been tested or stepped in from a showroom floor?

I guess I am a little frustrated because I would like to narrow down my choices, since  I need the dimensions for the contractor to build the deck.  Difficult to do when I haven't decided what will work for us.  (Wah!) :'(
2007 Marquis U630

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Inventory--D1
« on: May 22, 2007, 01:40:04 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Spa Inventory--D1
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 02:09:54 pm »
But here is my question, the D1 showroom had hardly any tubs.  :(  The Salesperson kept apologizing and told me that he'd sold so many off the floor in the last few days.  They anticipated getting some in the next 2-4 weeks.  I thought that the sales floor would have models you could see, step into and even have water in for wet tests in different types.

How do dealers choose which tubs to fill for testing?  Do most dealers just order a very low inventory and sell from their floor?  Does that mean that if/when I buy a tub it will have been tested or stepped in from a showroom floor?

That sounds a bit odd but all dealers are different. Sometimes you'll sell spas off the floor but that's not the norm to sell most everything on the floor (other than if they're changing models at the beginning of the year and even then it doesn't normally happen all at once). To say they all of a sudden sold off multiple floor models seems a stretch but then again it could be the case. It might raise a flag for me but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt until/unless the story changes or something else occurs to make me wonder why that may be the case.

The spas picked to be wet are typically those that they feel are the best movers for that brand. The dealer also will have somewhat of a range where they may have a large spa, medium spa and maybe even one of their bargain types but there is no set formula. Wet testing can be key ESPECIALLY if you're looking at a lounge spa because lounges look so enticing to shoppers but not everyone fits in every lounge well and it's best to find that out in the showroom as opposed to finding out in your backyard.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

2busymom

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 01:14:37 am »
Thanks.  Seems like there are so many things to learn (or misunderstand) in this process.  I've been so surprised on how difficult it is to wet test the type that you're interested in.  I kind of like the D1's but I am fickle, I am liking the one I just saw.

"If you can be with the one you love, honey love the one you're with."   ::)  How sad!  
2007 Marquis U630

TubGuy 21

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:44:35 pm »
I bought a D1 2 mos ago and decided to order mine instead of taking the floor model (that was never wet tested) mostly because I chose the FX package. It was worth it....(3wks) I actually got some different updgrades because they just changed some things, so I made out pretty good.  They build it within a week and it ships from CA.

2busymom

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 12:34:35 am »
I bought a D1 2 mos ago and decided to order mine instead of taking the floor model (that was never wet tested) mostly because I chose the FX package. It was worth it....(3wks) I actually got some different updgrades because they just changed some things, so I made out pretty good.  They build it within a week and it ships from CA.

So are you enjoying it?  Even though you didn't wet test, how did you know the spa would fit and work for you?  3 Weeks is pretty good.  The Hot Spring dealer I've been talking to is making out that it takes several weeks 8-12 to get a spa in if I keep waiting.  The HS's are also made in Vista, CA, so it seems it should be similar to your experience.
2007 Marquis U630

nsavarirayan

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 10:39:21 am »
Wow isn't buying a hot tub a  pain in the arse!!

I have to make a decision soon muyself since our contractor is wainting on demensions for the area!!  I think I will visit the Caldera showroom today.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:46:20 am »
Wow isn't buying a hot tub a  pain in the arse!!

I have to make a decision soon muyself since our contractor is wainting on demensions for the area!!  I think I will visit the Caldera showroom today.

Are you "sinking" the tub in the deck?  

If not, just assume the spa will be 8.5  x 8.5  Allow 24" for the steps to stick out and 24" in back for the cover to flip.

99% of the spas will fit in the above space.
07 Caldera Geneva

Larry Becker

D1 Dimensions
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 12:27:11 pm »
D1 Dimensions are a little funky... which is part of the appeal of the thngs -- not just a box full of water, but they put some design into them. So, you can't just assume standard dimensions. And it depends on the model, too. The Chairman II is 91.5 x 91.5, and the Lotus Bay is 91.75 x 91.75, but the new Amore Bay is actually 108 x 92, and my Sarena Bay is 120 x 92, and on these curved "Bay" models, the special steps fit into the curves so they don't stick out that much.

The D1 spas are really great in my experience, but so are the others you mentioned...

What area of the country do you live in? My local dealer in the LA area generally has some inventory, but he often takes them on the road to home shows...

Happy Spa hunting!

Larry Becker
2005 D-1 Sarena Bay

2busymom

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 01:22:01 pm »
I am in the same situation as nsavarirayan, I want to pick out the tub so I have a better idea on the dimensions.  The work begins next week.  So I figure I have a couple of weeks left.

I am planning on sinking the hot tub 24", and I live in Portland, OR so I don't think that it would be a big deal to get a tub here from California.  And I understand that Marquis is manufactured in the State.

There are a lot of weekend sales events for Memorial day, perhaps I should wander to each of them with suit and towel in tow and see if I can become more decisive quickly. ::)
2007 Marquis U630

2busymom

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 01:34:32 am »
Finally got a call from the dealer today.  Spas for other customers came in, they'd plan to put them "on the floor" but they sold before they could do it.  Hmmmm, sounds to me like they are trying to run with little to no inventory and just order as needed.  Makes sense for them, but really takes away from the need to have retail prices (and certainly doesn't help me tell if the spa works for me or not or if I should order it.)  I really like the idea of the d1 diplomat or perhaps the chairman II, but I am beginning to worry about this dealer. :(
2007 Marquis U630

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 07:33:33 am »
This is really starting to sound strange.  A dealer with no tubs on the floor?  I would find out where the next closest D1 dealer is or take a look at other manufacturers.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 07:42:34 am »
sounds to me like they are trying to run with little to no inventory and just order as needed.  Makes sense for them,

I dont' know if that makes sense or not.  What they might spend in carrying charges to have spas on the floor should more than be made up by purchases made by people like me, who absolutely wouldn't purchase something of this magnitude sight unseen.
 Kinda hard to wet test an invisible spa.

Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 08:27:28 am »

I dont' know if that makes sense or not.  What they might spend in carrying charges to have spas on the floor should more than be made up by purchases made by people like me, who absolutely wouldn't purchase something of this magnitude sight unseen.
 Kinda hard to wet test an invisible spa.

Even though most people do not wet test, the best sales tool is the spa sitting on the floor...especially those filled with water.  A spa dealer with no spas on the floor sounds like a spa dealer who can't afford to have spas on the floor and that might make me a little nervous about doing business with them.

nsavarirayan

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 12:18:50 pm »
Hi Busymom!  Just want to let you know I got the Diplomat hot tub - its being delivered this Thursday.  I will post some pics and thoughts once I have it installed.  But thus far I really like the neck flex jets in the D1 spas

2busymom

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 12:36:57 pm »
Hi nsavarirayan,

Oooo, you're so lucky!   ;D  To have 1) finally decided!  and 2) to have your spa delivered.  I am still thinking about testing this tub, because it looks like it would really fit and work well for us, but the way this dealer is out all of the time is making it hard.  When I went to their store they had 3 or 4 tubs in their less than plush showroom and none of them had water in them.  They also sell pool supplies, so maybe they are trying to keep things low cost.

BTW, did you find your tub used or did you get it new?  Also how much did you pay?  Did you get any of the add on stuff, like a stereo?  Thanks for letting me know.
2007 Marquis U630

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 12:36:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42