What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Energy Smart - Phony Label???  (Read 4694 times)

Tom

Energy Smart - Phony Label???
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:22:27 pm »
I ran across a spa company that posts an "Energy Smart" label.  (http://www.clearwaterspas.com/assets/EnergySmart.pdf)

This looks mighty impressive, but ...

Google gave no information about any such program in the US.  Moreover,  a clearing house for international energy labeling programs showed no such label in the US (there is one in Australia). (See http://www.clasponline.org/label.php?m=0&n=5)

As far as I can tell, this is a house label specifically designed to mimic the official EnerGuide (Canada) and EnergyGuide (USA) labels.  Neither of these  government programs have standards (yet!) for hot tubs.

Is this something from the CEC?  Anyone having information about the "Energy Smart" program or label, please post it or email me (address in profile).

Thanks
Tom

Interesting side note:
Do a Google search for Energy Smart Canada.  Any resemblance to  an energy program is purely co-incidental!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:26:13 pm by Graybeard »

Hot Tub Forum

Energy Smart - Phony Label???
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:22:27 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: Energy Smart - Phony Label???
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:43:39 pm »
Ahh Clearwater trying to fool gullible consumers again and this surprises you?
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 02:17:59 pm »
D1 does this

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:21:47 pm »
R-20 for a spa is pretty poor; unless you're using it in a tropical climate of course  ::)
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 09:01:51 pm »
Ok  my opinion is 95% of the tub companies out there have some sort of made up energy, quality or endorsement type stamp for there tubs.  

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 06:30:05 pm »
Ok  my opinion is 95% of the tub companies out there have some sort of made up energy, quality or endorsement type stamp for there tubs.  

I'm really not sure what you mean by this Pathfinder? Sure dealers will quote an "average monthly operational cost" based on historical data but I've never seen a stamp or otherwise suggesting that it meets or exceeds a government set of standards for power consumption based on a set of guidelines. Can you give examples as it's something I haven't seen here in Canada. Thx.

Have you contacted Clearwater directly on this Tom to get their take on it? That would be an intertesting conversation...

Steve
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 06:31:39 pm by Steve »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 06:55:52 am »
Wasn't hype just mentioned as a dying marketing technique that the American consumer was getting to savy for??

Costs of living rising, inflation driving everything up in cost, yet compitition for work and educated purchasing are forcing us to lower our prices and provide nothing but top notch service. This is the American consumers new found power.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 06:59:41 am by Tman122 »
Retired

Pathfinder

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 01:55:39 pm »
Steve, what I meant was not directed at energy savings data   but to the fake associations that a lot of compamnies make up and label on their webistes or literature. These logos look legit so people dont second guess how good their product is but its just more hype.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 08:13:42 pm »
Steve, what I meant was not directed at energy savings data   but to the fake associations that a lot of compamnies make up and label on their webistes or literature. These logos look legit so people dont second guess how good their product is but its just more hype.

The "best of class" rating by poolandspa.com would be one that comes to mind as phony rating system aimed at luring the unsuspecting consumer into thinking that these spas are better.

Spasearch.org, consumers best buy and the "quality buy" by poolandspa are others.

I getcha! ;)

Why is it that manufacturers promote phony "rating sites" knowing these hold no real value to them? Even the "biggest spa manufacturer" wallows in this misleading form of self promotion knowing it's all about PAID advertising! So do many others though...

Welcome to the unregulated world of spas where there's no accountability! Knowingly misleading the consumer is pretty pathetic and "best of class" can be purchased by ANY manufacturer willing to write a cheque for 25G's.

Steve

Tom

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 06:13:29 pm »
Have you contacted Clearwater directly on this Tom to get their take on it? That would be an intertesting conversation...
I emailed and asked them about it. I just asked, didn't accuse.  Someone from CW marketing replied and directed me to that CEC list that has been much maligned on this forum.  (Of course, that data came from CW in the first place, completing the circle.)

Interestingly enough, a couple of years ago here at Arctic I was involved in a discussion about whether we should develop our own energy-efficiency labels.  We decided not to. Instead, we have been working with the Canadian government's Office of Energy Efficiency to get the real thing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:14:36 pm by Graybeard »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 06:13:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42