What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help, my freakin long hair is a problem  (Read 13910 times)

anne

Re: Help, my freakin long hair is a problem
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 03:51:52 pm »
I have moderately long hair (more than 1/2 way down my back when i first got the tub, and now just beyond shoulder length) and I just put it up with a big claw clip. The back of my neck gets a little wet, but the tub has never made my hair feel weird, or smell like anything. I add chlorine after soaking, so it is probably at 0ppm with 90% of my soaks. I'd try thr bandana idea first, because a plastic shower cap might keep heat and mosture *in* that would feel itchy.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 03:51:52 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 04:12:58 pm »
 These work great for me.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 09:38:57 pm »
Ladies, what do you do with long hair in the hot tub?
My hair is long past my shoulder (see photo, left) I am very tired of washing my hair multiple times per day!  I've tried putting it all up on top of my head, but the chlorine filled steam still manages to infiltrate my hair.  So, then my hair feels gunky and I have to wash it. Then, conditioner is a must, cause I can't get a comb thru that tangled mess without it.  Well, this puts hair products into the spa the next time I get in.  So, the cycle begins again.  Do you guys cover your hair with anything to protect it?  My hair stays wet more than it stays dry.  I'm going to be everynight with a towel on my pillow to help absorb the dampness from my hair.  I wake up the next day with wild hair and terry cloth bumps on my face!!!
Help!

Bama, is that really you? I thought you cut and pasted something from the internet.  :o
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Bama

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 11:00:22 am »
Goboman,
That is really me and that is really my hair!  It's a swim suit ad.
Now...
my question is...is that really you?

***  As a Flight Attendant, it's not uncommon to be asked to model for a department store catalog shoot.   In Chicago, (my base) the department stores come to the airport and set up shop in an empty gate or hanger, go to the Flight Attendant Lounge and recruit!  We have to audition (strip) for a quick buck!  The photos usually appear in sale ads such as the Sunday newspaper.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:15:30 pm by Bama »

Bama

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 11:03:37 am »
Ok kids,

I'm wondering if I'm adding too much chemical to my spa.
So I'm NOT supposed to have a reading of any chlorine prior to getting in?  Because, I do smell chlorine prior to getting in and I do have a slight positive reading of chlorine PRIOR to getting in.  This bad?
I thought this was sanitary...no?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 12:07:35 pm »
Depends on what your routine is.  

If you're using Vermonter's method, the idea is to add your dichlor after soaking, it'll sanizite the water, and the chlorine reading would be down really low for the next soak.
Nothing wrong with getting into the spa with some chlorine.

Maybe if you told us what your routine is- What size spa, how much dichlor you use to dose, how often, when and what you use to shock, etc......
Brewman

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 12:20:58 pm »
***  As a Flight Attendant, it's not uncommon to be asked to model for a department store catalog shoot.   In Chicago, (my base) the department stores come to the airport and set up shop in an empty gate or hanger, go to the Flight Attendant Lounge and recruit!  We have to audition (strip) for a quick buck!  The photos usually appear in sale ads such as the Sunday newspaper.

Well, by golly, fly on down to the East Texas Regional Airport and be my hydrotherapy technician for the Home Show and Boat Show coming up!  I'll pay you $10/hr, buy your food and beer, and share my cigar with you.  The pay ain't much, but you cannot beat the working conditions. ;)

Termy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:23:33 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Bama

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 12:22:37 pm »
Thanks Brew,

I have 650 gal spa.
I soak at least 2 times per day.
I toss 2 Tablespoons of diclor in at the end of the day and run pumps for 10 min.
I test next day prior to soak and there is some trace of chorine and trace of free chlorine.
all other readings are ok
There is the case of bromine...
I did leave for the holidays and put in the spa frog which contains bromine.
now, did I screw up by introducing bromine to the mix?

Bama

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 12:29:34 pm »
Termy,

Sounds like a deal I couldn't refuse....if I was an Intern!  :-*

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 01:34:36 pm »
Ok kids,

I'm wondering if I'm adding too much chemical to my spa.
So I'm NOT supposed to have a reading of any chlorine prior to getting in?  Because, I do smell chlorine prior to getting in and I do have a slight positive reading of chlorine PRIOR to getting in.  This bad?
I thought this was sanitary...no?

Bama,

You really shouldn't be getting a chlorine smell. I've been told that if you do smell chlorine, you either have high levels or it's time to shock the tub.  You said you tested the tub before getting and it a slight positive reading? Is this below 2 ppm?   You toss in two tablespoons after each use? What levels are you getting 10 minutes after adding 2 tblspoons? (you want it around 5 pmm, not more than that, not less than 3 ppm).

How many times has the tub been used since the last time you shocked?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:36:21 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 01:57:44 pm »
There is the case of bromine...
I did leave for the holidays and put in the spa frog which contains bromine.
now, did I screw up by introducing bromine to the mix?
I've been known to be wrong, but by introducing bromine, I believe you've now got a bromine sanitized tub. NOT that it's a bad thing, however if you want to get back to strictly dichlor, you'll have to drain, rinse, and refill. I've run out of bromine recently, and have just been adding dichlor every day or two...from what I understand, that "recharges" the bromine and allows it to do it's job. (time for me to just bite the bullet and buy more bromine, I think)
Best of luck, oh flight attendant. ;) my mom was one, too.
RIP C-Rod

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 03:36:56 pm »
Thanks Brew,

I have 650 gal spa.
I soak at least 2 times per day.
I toss 2 Tablespoons of diclor in at the end of the day and run pumps for 10 min.
I test next day prior to soak and there is some trace of chorine and trace of free chlorine.

I'm no water expert but 2 TBS of dichlor post soak every day seems a little excessive. I would think 1 TBS should do the job of getting your water to the 3-5ppm range 20 min after dosing with a tub your size. What do you use to test with? Have you been checking the FC level 20 min after your post soak dose? What kind of dichlor do you use and what is it's % of active chlorine?
If you smell chlorine it's probably time for a shock as that's a good sign you have a high amount of chloramines(CC) present.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 04:23:58 pm by WHY_NOT »

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 04:27:53 pm »
Well Bama, I don't think your doing a thing wrong. I have been doing the same exact thing and I have no problems what so ever. If you have a chemical smell prior to getting in, take a few and test what your levels are. If they are high (with the smell) then don't get in until under 3 ppm. If you have a smell and a low reading then you need to super shock. Wait until the level is down under 3 ppm then jump or dive in. It may be that you are just not getting the tub sanitized well enough and you need to super shock. As for your hair, does your water kinda fizz when you switch on the air blower? If so, then bun up your hair.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 04:32:55 pm »

Terminator

And this is quite possibley one of the funnest cartoons Term has ever done.   It cracks me up everytime I even think about it.

07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 06:45:52 pm »
I've been known to be wrong, but by introducing bromine, I believe you've now got a bromine sanitized tub. NOT that it's a bad thing, however if you want to get back to strictly dichlor, you'll have to drain, rinse, and refill. I've run out of bromine recently, and have just been adding dichlor every day or two...from what I understand, that "recharges" the bromine and allows it to do it's job. (time for me to just bite the bullet and buy more bromine, I think)
Best of luck, oh flight attendant. ;) my mom was one, too.

Yup, a bromine tub is a bromine tub. Apparently any bromine tries to convert the chlorine.

The chlorine smell may be from combined chlorine - I've only smelled chlorine 2 x in my spa - once with 20+ PPM chlorine and once with high combined chlorine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 06:45:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42