What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: bromine or chlorine  (Read 13856 times)

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
Re: bromine or chlorine
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 03:32:26 pm »
Hi Markus,  I think it also depends on what type of chemical dispenser options your spa has.  My Jacuzzi has in the inline filter option, so I use the bromine pucks.  I also live in Canada, so getting out to do a dichlor dose is a bit of a pain in the middle winter.  With this system, I just put a couple of pucks once to twice a week, and let the bromine do it's thing.

Having said that, I would not use granular bromine, because it's a pain to have to buy two bottles (part A & B) when granular dichlor does the trick.

The benefit, that I know of for Bromine, is that even after it's become a bromamine, (attached itself to bacteria), it can still act as a sanitizer, where dichlor can't do that.

Also, dichlor can't be used in a floater, only Trichlor can, which as many have said on this forum before, Trichlor may void your warranty.

Mark

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 03:32:26 pm »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 04:14:24 pm »
Putting in my two cents of course.....sorry all you dichlor peeps and fans of chlorine..I use bromine with a bromine floater..I've been using it since day one which btw fans of the BP is 5 months ago! So..I like it..no need to change if your comfortable with one product!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 08:36:37 pm »
Putting in my two cents of course.....sorry all you dichlor peeps and fans of chlorine..I use bromine with a bromine floater..I've been using it since day one which btw fans of the BP is 5 months ago! So..I like it..no need to change if your comfortable with one product!

Ummmmmmmm bromine is chlorine...sorry to burst your bubble. But Bromine uses Chlorine to kill bacteria. The only difference between Bromine and Chlorine is you have to keep adding bromine continualy (floater) because the concentration is lower. With Dichlor the concentration is much higher and it acts faster to kill all junk then dissapates quickly so your not soaking in it, unlike bromine which you are soaking in, which is chlorine at a lower concentrate. Oooow that even confused me!!!
Retired

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 08:13:01 am »
I agree with Tman.  Anyone who does not use chlorine because of the smell is not using chlorine correctly.  A major advantage of chlorine is not having to soak in chemicals.  With bromine pucks you still have to watch your sanitizer level and need to add after a heavy bather load or continually put more than needed doing slow damage to the underside of a mostly closed spa, let alone having to sit in it.  IMO, with dichlor you have solid control.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 08:17:29 am »

Rumors of your death were great exaggerated.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hymbaw

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 03:02:53 pm »

Ummmmmmmm bromine is chlorine...sorry to burst your bubble. But Bromine uses Chlorine to kill bacteria. The only difference between Bromine and Chlorine is you have to keep adding bromine continualy (floater) because the concentration is lower. With Dichlor the concentration is much higher and it acts faster to kill all junk then dissapates quickly so your not soaking in it, unlike bromine which you are soaking in, which is chlorine at a lower concentrate. Oooow that even confused me!!!

No bubbles bursting here.....bromine IS NOT chlorine!

Bromine does not use chlorine to kill bacteria. Bromine is more effective at killing bacteria than chlorine is. The reason that chlorine is added (in it's dry form) to many bromine formulas is because it's a better oxidizer than bromine.(once chlorine is added to a bromine system, it turns to bromine) The reason you need to have bromine in a floater is because is dissolves a lot slower than chlorine.

HOCl-------HOBr        Not the same!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 03:28:24 pm »
Bromine is more effective at killing bacteria than chlorine is.

I don't believe this to be true.  Maybe as effective, but not more effective.  Can you elaborate?

hymbaw

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 05:45:07 pm »
No problem,

I should have said more effective in a spa.

Bromine is less sensitive to ph swings. At a ph of 7.8 chlorine is about 20% effective. Bromine is about 80% effective at the same ph.

Once chlorine kills bacteria it becomes a chloramine which isn't bactericidal. Bromine becomes a bromamine which is bactericidal.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 07:45:08 pm »
But bromine is highly acidic and will draw down pH especially since it is continually feeding.  You also want to keep bromine away from feeding into the equipment area as its low pH is not good for pumps, heaters, etc.

Dichlor is virtually pH neutral so swings are less frequent from the product itself.  If you shock weekly, like you would with bromine, chloramines should never be a problem.

hymbaw

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2005, 10:25:28 am »
The fact that bromine is more acidic than chlorine is a plus in my book. A healthy spa will tend to have its ph climb, so a little acid isn't bad.

As far as keeping it away from equipment - Sundance has had brominators built into their skimmer doors for years - no problems. While bromine is acidic it is being diluted by 400-500 gallons of water! If your water is ph 4.0 then you have a problem.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2005, 05:49:24 am »
A byproduct of Dichlor is cynuraic acid which over time will affect PH. I add baking soda about once a month to adjust PH. The bromine available here is mostly chlorine as an active ingredient, I have heard that real bromine is out there and I have never tryed it. But I can tell you that it was not good when I used bromine in my spa, it was like soaking in a chlorine bath and I had to adjust PH almost every week. The water was cloudy more and if anyone wants the bucket of tabs I have send me postage. The 2 of them, Bromine and Chlorine both rely on the same procedure for killing bacteria and are the only 2 true sanitizers out there.

Those who prefer it (Bromine) usualy end up switching sometime down the road. I used it for one and a half years before I switched and dichlor is alot easier for me. Maybe not you however.
Retired

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2005, 10:52:59 am »
For you dichlor fans, do you guys leave your cover open after every use when you add the dichlor or do you cheat?  What do you do during an extended absence like 7 - 10 days to keep your spa water from going murky or do you just shock the heck out of it when you get back?

I notice my water actually feels pretty soft and not chemically - Hardness between 100-200.  For soft water is it the NaCl that makes the water feel soft or the lack of Calcium or a combination of both?  Will the reserve (NaBr) make the water feel softer?

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2005, 07:06:06 pm »
I follow the Vermonter's regime, and leave the cover open for only 5-10 minutes.  (After usng a tablespoon of dichlor in a SD Max (580 gals) after use.)

All I have to say is that it's great to use the spa the next day with no sanitizer in it at all.  I can't think but using pure water is better.  :)

Last spa was Br, and we had nothing but problems.  YMMV.
--
Lee

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2005, 06:42:16 am »
For you dichlor fans, do you guys leave your cover open after every use when you add the dichlor or do you cheat?  What do you do during an extended absence like 7 - 10 days to keep your spa water from going murky or do you just shock the heck out of it when you get back??

If I go for an extended vacation I have several options, 1. Super clorinate (3-4 TBLS) and turn down the heat to 70-80 before I leave. The lower temp will allow the dichlor to stay in the water for several days and the extra quantity will also boost the time it last. I have gone for 11 days and came back to clean water. The ozonator, and I have been using a N2 Cartrige, will maintain your water as long as there is no bathers.
2. Call your buddy and tell him to use your tub a few times when your gone and add this film container full of stuff after you exit.
3. I have 2 boys that don't go on our yearly vacation to warmer climates anymore, and in the summer it's never longer than 10-14 days and with it turned way down it is not a problem.

I notice my water actually feels pretty soft and not chemically - Hardness between 100-200.  For soft water is it the NaCl that makes the water feel soft or the lack of Calcium or a combination of both?  Will the reserve (NaBr) make the water feel softer?

We have very low hardness here right out of the tap 30-40 PPM I do not adjust it as I was told thats more of a concern for concrete or tile where the water will precipatate calcium out of it. There's nothing in a Hot Tub for water to get Calcium from. SS or acrylic, plastic or even carbon steel has no calcium for the water to work on. So it makes sence not to worry about hardness. I do however use a softener (soft soak) helps my skin stay better, which any kind of water will dry out. Smells nice to. So I can't answer your question, I wouldn't think your bromine reserve would make your water softer though?
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2005, 06:42:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42