What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: bromine or chlorine  (Read 13930 times)

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
bromine or chlorine
« on: November 06, 2005, 08:58:22 pm »
I just received my new HS Vanguard spa and I'm not sure which sanitizer to go with. Are more people using one over the other?

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

bromine or chlorine
« on: November 06, 2005, 08:58:22 pm »

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Re: bromine or chlorine
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 09:11:08 pm »
I have only been around for 6 months but would say that most use chlorine, I use chlorine (Dichlor with a Trichlor floater).  Do a search for threads on this topic, you will see that opinions vary.

Rayman
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 09:29:24 pm »
On this forum, I'd guess that most use dichlor.  
Overall, I'd think bromine use is pretty common.
Plus there are all the other methods that use neither, like Baqua Spa, etc...
Whatever system you use, you'll have advantages and disadvantages.  
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 10:58:38 pm »
Dichlor good. Bromine yuck. IMO of course!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 12:06:43 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 11:58:37 pm »
We got started by the dealer on bromine and haven't noticed anything bad about it.  Next to no odor, no dryness (yet).  Pretty easy.  Add to the floater, reserve and heavy shock once a week.  I don't even shock every day and when I do it's one or two capfuls.  I keep my bromine levels low (except chemical day)(I have ozone) and my water has stayed clear.  

Having said all that, I haven't tried dichlor so I can't say if I'd like it better.  But I haven't found a negative on bromine yet.  I like the idea of not having to shock and leave the cover open every time (which is what I was told you're suppose to do) on the dichlor routine.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 07:54:29 am »
For 3-1/2+ months and counting we've had our Marquis Reward with a built-in Spa frog In-line system using bromine and it's working fine for us. The Reward also has an ozonator so we're able to keep the bromine level down to 2-4 ppm and the water is great. Very little smell, crystal clear water and does a great job of sanitizing. :)
On a weekly basis, I shock with a non-bromine shock and feed the tub Spa Perfect to control organics and other materials like shampoo, conditioners, body oils & soap left over from (other people) washing their swimsuits and not rinsing enough. THAT drives me nuts but skimming off the foam and Spa Perfect both seem to help!  

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 08:47:11 am »
I assume you are asking because the dealer gave you a choice? If so, research our old post and see what you find. Plenty of people use both and its easy to switch. Most people use what they were given, by the dealer, which in my case was chlorine and only change if they have reactions.  We have heard here of a few people that had reactions to one or the other.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 09:49:11 am »
I used Dichlor with an ozinator. It works well. (toss 1/2 teaspoon in per bather after each use, shock once a week).

I used bromine in a floater in my old tub and it was harsh on my skin, plus  I didn't feel I was controlling the amount very well.  (throw in  some tablets in the floater, play with the hole openings, and try to figure out the rate they disolved, and what to do if you had more bathers, less bathers, yada yada yada...always felt like I was sitting in a chemical bath, and the damn floating duck that dispensed the briomine was alwasy floating into me. or into the filter)

I think Dichlor you have more control over it, is less caustic and easier to control.  I would start off with dichlor and if you are having a problem after a few months, change out the water and try bromine, but it seems more people here seem to have better luck with Dichlor.

Just my $.02  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 09:51:06 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 10:33:22 am »
Dichlor smells and irritates my skin.  Bromine works great for me and with the floater, I only worry about filling the tablets once every couple weeks.  I take the floater out when I am in the tub, set it near the steps, and put it back when I get out.  Very tough to do, but it's worth the pleasure.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 10:35:51 am by orlandoguy »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 10:50:12 am »
Dichlor smells and irritates my skin.

I think it all depends on how you use it...  We put in dichlor after each use (or in the evening) and by the time we use the tub the next day it has pretty much dissipated and there is NO smell at all.  Actually, there's not much chlorine left at all so it's really easy on our skin.  This is the biggest reason we moved from bromine.  With the bromine floater there's a constant feed of sanitizer and it was REALLY hard on our skin.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 04:21:09 pm »
I have only been around for 6 months but would say that most use chlorine, I use chlorine (Dichlor with a Trichlor floater).

How do you use dichlor in a floater?

BTW, I use dichlor.

hymbaw

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 05:47:30 pm »
http://www.88839relax.com/91.htm#aa3

This may help. It really depends on personal preferences. I like bromine, it's a more effective sanitizer in the environment that exists in a spa.

Try one.......don't like it ......switch.

Good Luck
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 07:21:20 pm »
The dealer gave me both mentioned sanitizers with my Vanguard purchase. I'll go with the dichlor first and see how it goes. Like you folks say, I can always empty, refill and try bromine. Even though I will do some more research on this topic.

Thanks for your time everyone!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 07:39:40 pm »
The dealer gave me both mentioned sanitizers with my Vanguard purchase. I'll go with the dichlor first and see how it goes. Like you folks say, I can always empty, refill and try bromine. Even though I will do some more research on this topic.

Thanks for your time everyone!

If you use dichlor, it doesn't keep a constant residual of chlorine in the spa, which is why you add a bit after each use. In this case, you also can switch on a moments notice to bromine if you chose to without draining.

If you are using bromine as a sanitizer, you'll also have bromine in some form in the spa and you MUST drain and refill if you are going to switch over to dichlor.

Therefore, if you plan to try both start with the dichlor first and see how it goes and that way you can switch to the other sanitizing method without having to drain.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 08:52:09 am »
i use bromine and love it.  

No odours, no skin rash or irritation yet and the water is crystal clear.  It takes all of five min. a week to care for.  It is fool proof and great in my opinion.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 08:52:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42