What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: looking for a swiming pool fourm?  (Read 6573 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
looking for a swiming pool fourm?
« on: August 04, 2005, 10:36:17 am »
I posted this over at the B.S section of this site without any replies, and I get the feeling that section doesn't get nearly as much traffic as the main page here, so I'm posting and asking again....it's kinda hot tub related....

Can anyone recomend a decent pool fourm? I've got some problems and some concerns with my pool.  

Idealy I'd like something akin to this site,  fair amout of activity, quick posting to the board,  a good mix of dealers, vetran owners and enthusisatic newbies.

thanks.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

looking for a swiming pool fourm?
« on: August 04, 2005, 10:36:17 am »

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Re: looking for a swiming pool fourm?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 11:00:27 am »
I would also like to find a good pool forum.  I have decided to extend my paver patio to make room for an above ground pool to accompany my tub and am as clueless about pools as I was about hot tubs before I got skooled here.

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:08:25 am »
Might try the message boards at http://www.poolandspa.com/

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 11:56:36 am »
Go to poolforum.com, I've been there for years. Unfortunately for me, they recently changed formats and I can't get in anymore - computer knows my email address and won't let me re-register AND doesn't like my yahoo mail account.

MAYBE I was banned  ??? - I don't know!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 12:43:13 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'll see what happens, however the sites seem not to have much activity. Makes this place seem like grand central station.

Vinny, on being banned: reminds me of this one internet site that things got out of hand and Iwas banned. except when they banned you, they didn't tell you. they just masked your posts so no one else could read them except you. From your screen it looked like you were participating, and posting, but for everyone else you weren't even there.

Pretty evil banning. Took me a good month to figure out I was talking to myself.  8)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 12:44:31 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 01:00:10 pm »
I agree, poolforum.com is a good site.  I have had no problem getting in.  Beware, the posters over there have strong opinions on "Ben's" way of doing things.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 01:18:31 pm »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 01:37:51 pm »
I agree, poolforum.com is a good site.  I have had no problem getting in.  Beware, the posters over there have strong opinions on "Ben's" way of doing things.

Good f'ing lord. I poped over there and you basically have to sign a disclaimer acknolging that the guy running the site is the Pool Chemical god and any one who disagrees with him will be banned.  Seems nutty to me.

Also, doesn't accept Hotmail as an accepted e-mail.  

Sorry. I don't sign my primary mail to  forums....

Any pool experts here?
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 01:50:23 pm »
What do you want to know - not an expert though!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 01:56:58 pm »
Wellvinny, I'm trying to decide about either putting in a new liner or buy a pool.  If the mods would allow; here's my post...

Oh yea,   and Welcome to What'sthebest-hotutb AND pool.com

;)

Here's my situation: there are several questions and any thoughts are greatly appreciated......

I'm in Central MA and have an 18', round, above ground aluminum (?) pool. No deck. It came with my house that I bought 5 years ago. I don't know the actual age of the pool....

Last night, I discovered 2 rips in the liner, on the floor one about 1" and the other, about 5 inches away from the first, was about .25" (both not on the seam). I patched em up.

But I feel this is the beginning of the end of this liner.

I'm debating if I should replace the liner (Cost installed, what about $800?) Or upgrade the pool to maybe a 24' round or oval. (I'm guessing about $4.5K installed)

Is it feasable / efficent to put in a new liner on an older pool? Overall the shell structure looks decent enough. Not the most attractive pool, but it's not corroded as far as I can see. I've already replaced the skimmer, hoses and pump. I just don't know if there are other considerations on older pools and what there life expectancy is. If this is throwing good money after bad.

If I do decide to go with a new pool, yea, I'm going to need some help on picking out a high quality Above ground pool and any tips (best time of year to buy...ect).

The other issue is I'm concerned if this liner will last through the New England winter. I'd have to get a rip in it in the winter, have it drain out and have 2' of snow on the cover without support. Seeing how I'm either tossing the pool or getting a new liner in the spring, any issue with just draining it in the fall and not winterizing it?

07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 02:44:24 pm »
 I am a pool expert, but not so much with vinyl liners.  

The few I have worked on have looked real good until the liner was removed for replacement. Then the inside showed all of it's rust (or corrosion as the case may be). By that time it was too late: the liner had been ordered, produced and shipped.

Price out a liner and compare for a new pool. The difference may be small enough to help you decide.  

Also, check for dealers who include set-up in the price of a new pool. That tends to close the gap in the pricing.

And finally: if you can get a non-metal pool  in your area, go for it.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 02:50:38 pm »
I would also like to find a good pool forum.  I have decided to extend my paver patio to make room for an above ground pool to accompany my tub and am as clueless about pools as I was about hot tubs before I got skooled here.

Well orlando,  this is somenthing i do know! You don't need to put an above ground pool on a pad. If you do put the pool on a pad it should be a cement pad, sand will be needed on top of that for pool floor.

You do not want the pool on pavers. Remeber the pool, unlinke a hot tub, has a vinyl, soft floor. Sand is needed.

However for a custom look you could put the pavers AROUND the erected pool. would look  nice.
:)
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 03:03:24 pm »
Here's my opinion.

I believe the best time is winter or very early spring (Feb/March) to buy a pool or a hot tub. (there's my reference)! ;)

I wouldn't winterize it though the liner may rip apart from the holes if it's too brittle (might happen if if you do winterize it). Maybe at the end of this season take the liner off and see the condition of the walls. Put the top rails back on and new liner in spring or maybe late Sept see if an installer isn't busy and fill before winterizing (I probably would wait for Spring)

$800 sounds about right for a liner with install, maybe a little less ($200 for liner and maybe $400 for install). $4.5K sounds about right too for new 24 round install DEPENDING on what needs to be done - you may be grandfathered in with an old pool but new pool may need building permit and new BOCA codes.

As far as pools, I have a Vogue and it's nice, it came with a 15 year warranty and is the middle of the road for Vogue. I've heard Ester Williams and Fantasea are high end. I don't know how high end you're looking for. I'm in my 5th season and my pool has stayed put and has endured many a "wild waves at sea" with me jumping up and down with a tube around my stomach so the kids can "ride the waves".

A 24 foot round pool is a big pool and actually holds more water than a 20 x 40 oval - at least that's what I've been told. Round pools don't need any fencing around them since the pool itself is the barrier (BOCA Codes).

But the bottom line is - water is water, jumping around in cold water whether in a 18' round, 24' round or an in ground all feels the same. I would probably go with assessing the condition of your pool walls first and then make your decision.

Hope this helps!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 03:17:02 pm »
Chas and Vinny,

I think thats good advice to get a look under the liner and go from there.

Just trying to think this through and make a rational decision.

Man, I'm just hoping pool dealers aren't  cut from the same cloth as hot tub dealers...what,  with all thier fast talking, flim flaming ways, trying to confuse me with liners, and floats and slides.....ARRRRGH.  ;)  

NEed to find a dealer that has decent pool ducks, that's the key. The ducks will show me the way..... :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 06:06:50 pm »
Drewstar,

Check out the site Chas has listed above.  Really good info!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 06:06:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42