What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Fees for Warranty Service  (Read 19074 times)

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: Fees for Warranty Service
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 07:48:28 am »
Just to point one thing out about that coverlift.  It was not chemical abuse that caused it to rust.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 07:48:28 am »

J._McD

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 08:34:07 am »
Just to point one thing out about that coverlift.  It was not chemical abuse that caused it to rust.

What could it be in 6 weeks? ???

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 09:31:23 am »
J_McD wrote:

"....I don’t believe my reactions have anything to do with price, but everything with attitude and how people are treated with any level of respect..."

I'm tyring to really hold my tounge on that statment.

Why then when I make a comment that I don't think a cusotmer should pay $45 dollars for a broken lifter you call me an arm chair quaterback and insuate that my opinion, experinece and beliefs are any less valuable?
In one note you voice frustration over "What does a customer want" and I suggest to listen. Here was a great example of what customers have issues and concerns with and when I note that, you insult me.

You talk about respect, but in this fourm, my experince of you is that you do not show it to others. As a dealer in this fourm, you'd  be better served not to belittle customers.

Tell me, in your store, do you notice a lot of people shaking thier head as they walk out and mutter somthing along the lines of "Arrogant dick head" ?  

No?  

Maybe you should pay better attention.  

Kiss off J_McD.  You talk abot respect but in the few months I 've been here, you've done nothing but belittle me and condecending.  

See ya.
07 Caldera Geneva

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2005, 09:51:28 am »
What could it be in 6 weeks? ???

What do you mean by chemical abuse?  Absolutely nothing has been done to the cover lifter, other than opening and closing it.  Are you saying that it should not be rusting so soon because of some defect, or are you saying that I did something to it to make it rust?

Frankeyboy

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2005, 02:38:33 pm »
J_McD wrote:

"....I don’t believe my reactions have anything to do with price, but everything with attitude and how people are treated with any level of respect..."

I'm tyring to really hold my tounge on that statment.

Why then when I make a comment that I don't think a cusotmer should pay $45 dollars for a broken lifter you call me an arm chair quaterback and insuate that my opinion, experinece and beliefs are any less valuable?
In one note you voice frustration over "What does a customer want" and I suggest to listen. Here was a great example of what customers have issues and concerns with and when I note that, you insult me.

You talk about respect, but in this fourm, my experince of you is that you do not show it to others. As a dealer in this fourm, you'd  be better served not to belittle customers.

Tell me, in your store, do you notice a lot of people shaking thier head as they walk out and mutter somthing along the lines of "Arrogant dick head" ?  

No?  

Maybe you should pay better attention.  

Kiss off J_McD.  You talk abot respect but in the few months I 've been here, you've done nothing but belittle me and condecending.  

See ya.

Drew that may be a little bit harsh, but I have noted the same negitive attitude from Jmcd. Most of his posts make a reference to a customer beating up the dealer over price or service some where in the post. His posts seem to say he needs a attitude adjustment. His attitude my very well be why he is seeing more and more customers leaving without buying. His attitude is the only thing he has complete control of. On this forum his attitude is very different from other dealers. If his attitude is the same with customers as it is on this forum then I know why he is seeing less buyers and more customers walking out without buying. Jmcd read your posts and give yourself a honest evauluation.  Remember your personal attitude is the ONLY thing you have complete control of. All people who come in contact with you will judge by your attitude.

SerjicalStrike

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2005, 03:32:08 pm »
"What could it be in 6 weeks? "

A manufacturing defect.  Although cosmetic, it is nothing that frankeyboy has done to cause this.  

I have dealt with plenty of those lifters.  The broken piece I would ASSUME was done by the customer, but the rust? No way.

J._McD

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2005, 05:25:59 pm »

What do you mean by chemical abuse?  Absolutely nothing has been done to the cover lifter, other than opening and closing it.  Are you saying that it should not be rusting so soon because of some defect, or are you saying that I did something to it to make it rust?

Frankeyboy

No, I am asking and trying to understand what the orange is that I am guessing to be "rust" and what could have caused it within 6 weeks of exposure.  In difference with SerjicalStrike, I have never had any of the spring clips rust but, then we use more covermate II's than the hydraulic lifters.  We have just had too many of the hydraulic lifters require service and they are usually broken from excessive stress by trying to close the cover not knowing how the lifter works.

We tell the homeowner, but when other people use the spa and they mysteriously break, must be a weak point in manufacturing. ???
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 06:17:27 pm by J._McD »

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2005, 06:04:40 pm »
No, I am asking and trying to understand what the ogance is that ia guessing to be "rust" and what could have caused it within 6 weeks.

Yes it is rust.  All the hardware holding the shocks to the cover lifter were rusting.  Apparently none of the metal on the shocks is made to be exposed to moisture.  All the bolts holding the lifter to the spa cabinet are stainless and look as good as new.  Also the metal bar that extends across the middle of the cover is also rusting and leaving puddles of rust stains  on my cover.  The make and model of this lifter is SUPERLIFT2/Ideal cover lift manufactured by Ideal Spa covers, Inc.  I would recommend staying away from this lifter.

Frankeyboy

J._McD

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2005, 06:32:17 pm »
"What could it be in 6 weeks? "

A manufacturing defect.  Although cosmetic, it is nothing that frankeyboy has done to cause this.  

I have dealt with plenty of those lifters.  The broken piece I would ASSUME was done by the customer, but the rust? No way.

The rust is from oxidation and is only the symptom, it is not acceptable within 6 weeks.  As Frankeyboy points out other components are stainless steele screws and the cross bar is rusting as well, staining the cover.  This is the symptom, the real problem is the cause of the corrosion within 6 weeks that will lead to deterioration, eventual product failure and a very short product life, both the lifter and the cover are being affected and they are intended to be used under these conditions.  Why is it rusting so badly, so soon and what will the eventual result be? ???  

This is what I am trying to get at.  Possibility include chemical oxidizers, seashore salt air, what else? ???  If Frankeyboy dosen't find the answer, he will be buying a new cover because of the ugly rust stains dripping from it and running down the side of his new cabinet.  He should get a new but different cover lifter that WON'T rust or oxidize or find the cause and stop it from occuring.

I am really trying to help.

I am not chastizing or criticizing whether or not charging a "service charge", a "truck charge" or any other charge is ethical, appropriate or thought to be included in the price of the spa for life.  THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM, but it is the first thing to come up.  The cover lifter is the source of the problem and Frankeyboy provided a picture that is identifying the real problem, THE NEED FOR SERVICE and WHY.  Someone broke it and it is rusting very badly.  That is what need to get fixed and neither one of them is covered under warranty, just customer service.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 06:53:23 pm by J._McD »

tootall

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2005, 06:58:45 pm »
Six weeks and something is rusting? I am sorry about that. I hope your dealer will replace it. And J_mcd what brand do you sell? I hope that you don't treat people like this in person but I can say this I bet you want to cut people down the same way in person as you do here.

J._McD

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2005, 08:16:52 pm »
J_McD.

you see, I think this is part of our problem.  I honestly think that you and I are saying the exact same thing, yet you tell me I'm am armchair quaterback, and other snide snippets.

Read my posts again.  I said "in this circumstance".  Which, we soon learned it is covered and will be repaired for free.

You also said you'd do the same thing that you'd fix it for free, given we are only 1.5 months into the new tub.

Huh. Maybe  I should run my own spa  business.  ;D

You guys all take wednesdays off to play golf, right? -

Drew, opposites attract while those that are the same, clash.  Is it in my transmission or is it in your reception?  

It wasn't covered but it was repaired free by a good dealer as most of us are.  I trust and that he was treated with some level of courtesy and respect.  I have most commonly been on the other end listening to the customer complaining and taking a beating for something like this to even occur. But, I might point out, someone did buy those replacement shocks and someone did pay the expenses of travel and time to satisfy a customer.  Frankenboy has acknowledged the probable cause and the eventual result.  

Yes, I have always taken the path of least resistance, I have always had a good attitude with customers.  But, it is the angry customers that you deal with the greater part of the time.  There are reasons that I am tired.  But, when people are encouraged here to challenge someone trying to stay in business and paying the ever increasing expenses such a gas, it is difficult to think it is right.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2005, 12:21:54 am »
I have to stand up for J_McD a bit here...

At first it was a bit hard to take the fact that he came on so strong being a newbie to the board but after reading many of his post it was apparent that he was not a newbie to the industry! Now that he has been around awhile I find that he often says what I'm thinking.

We all need a place to unload and although some of you from the customer perspective may not understand some of what most spa dealers go through it is not that similar to other industries.

Not many people go into Sears and say "I know that is what your asking for that riding mower but the guy down the street is selling it for this much. If you'll drop the price I will consider it." nor do many people hold big box stores as accountable as they do our type of business.

I love what I do and truly appreciate our customers however, there are times when I appreciate the fact that I can "unload" to others in the industry and get things off my chest so that I can have a better attitude towards more difficult customers.

JMcD has a good bit of wisdom and I have gotten a lot out of many of his posts even when I didn't completely agree (and that's not often!).

IMO, he does a better job than many others here at staying nuetral and not just touting the brand he sells....

SerjicalStrike

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2005, 07:39:34 am »
I didn't want to go here about the lifter, but I will.  They are crap.  Every one we sold rusted and we replaced them at no charge to the customer with a different hydraulic lift.  The rust was just a cosmetics thing, but it should not have happened.  Even the one we had in our showroom rusted.   They are a good heavy duty lifter, but for some reason rust like there's no tomorrow.  

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2005, 07:57:25 am »
Last week we had our first service call to replace our blower motor.  It just quit while in use.  The man was about 10mi from us, but we had to pay $65 for a trip fee.   I'm not complaining really, he was on time, did fast, good work and friendly and professional.  Just seems strange to pay for something still 100% under warranty.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2005, 08:24:07 am »
Nothing is free, and our spa warranties are no exception.  We pay for it in the price we pay for the spa.
Apparently, spa companies don't reimburse the dealers to compensate for their travel time on warranty calls.  If they did, dealers wouldn't have to pass this expense onto the person needing warranty service.  
Maybe people like me, who have spa dealers who don't charge for travel to a warranty repair paid the cost up front in what the dealer charged for the spa.  Perhaps people with a dealer who charges a trip fee got a spa a little cheaper.    
If the spa companies compensated dealers for their travel time, thus increasing their warranty related expenses, they'd pass along the expense in higher priced merchandise.  Either way, we pay.
My $02.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2005, 08:24:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42