What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What is the slope of your Spa Pad?  (Read 21573 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
What is the slope of your Spa Pad?
« on: June 26, 2005, 05:48:03 pm »
What is the slope of your concrete Spa Pad or wood deck? Of course my wife wants the spa to go on our patio which has a fairly steep grade.  I figure my slope is approximately 2" in a 8' section.  I can't imagine that would be acceptable.

Dealers, how do you handle an installation with a severe slope?  What is the best way to accurately measure the slope at home?  Also, what is the maximum slope allowable for a medium sized spa like an Optima, Envoy, Euphoria etc.?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

What is the slope of your Spa Pad?
« on: June 26, 2005, 05:48:03 pm »

autoplay

Re: What is the slope of your Spa Pad?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 06:46:56 pm »
Mine's about 1/8" per ft.  Outside specs as far as pitch are 1/4" per ft.  The filter side of my spa is on the low end of the slab.

Almost 2.5 years here,and so far,no probs.

You could look up ANSI specs,as they might have changed since I last looked,which seems like eons ago.

My personal opinion,I prefer a little pitch,as,it prevents standing water under and around the spa frame.

GL

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 09:53:49 pm »
My slab drops about 1/2 inch in 12 ft.  Perfect for water run off.  I don't know what to do for your amt of drop.  sorry.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 08:45:56 am »
Ours drops about 1.5" over 12' so it's about 1" over the 8' where the spa is.  Don't really notice the slope.  Our pad is under out screened porch so we don't really get much rain under there.  The only time I see it run off is when I hose it down and it seems fine when I do that.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 09:09:27 am »
Ours is pretty much level, but it's an 8' X 8' pad, only a few inches sticking out past the spa base, no water collects.  Ours is under our deck, so not much water gets down there.
Brewman
Brewman

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 09:22:05 am »
Ours is at a 1/2 inch slope which I have a very big hubby and we do slosh water around a bit when we sit back, but...it's all good cause it runs right off, had to refill a tiny bit this morning, I'll go out here in a bit and see what the levels are

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 10:03:44 am »
Ours is pretty much level, but it's an 8' X 8' pad, only a few inches sticking out past the spa base, no water collects.  Ours is under our deck, so not much water gets down there.
Brewman

What Brewman said, except ours is 10'x10' pad.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 10:51:05 am »
I'd not think 1 inch or so on 8 feet would matter, either.  I also intend on a bit of slope to keep splashed water from pooling on the concrete.

One good way to measure is to use a 4' level with a 1" block of wood at one end.  This is a classic tool for plumbers to gauge a 1/4" per foot slope, which is used for many plumbing drain runs.

Obviously, altering the size/placement of the block of wood, or just measuring the gap will let you know how much you are sloping!  :)
--
Lee

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 11:01:59 am »
I shimmed my tub approx 1 1/4 inch. Tub is level.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 08:39:46 pm »
I built the deck as level as possible, but the suggestion of putting the filter side toward the lowest end does sound like a great solution.

You might be able to pour a thin concrete topcoat but it may not hold the weight of a filled tub.

The shim idea is a good idea but not all tubs can be shimmed - My tub came with a warning that the whole bottom must be supported.

Good Luck!

autoplay

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 09:04:55 pm »
I'd not think 1 inch or so on 8 feet would matter, either.  I also intend on a bit of slope to keep splashed water from pooling on the concrete.

One good way to measure is to use a 4' level with a 1" block of wood at one end.  This is a classic tool for plumbers to gauge a 1/4" per foot slope, which is used for many plumbing drain runs.

Obviously, altering the size/placement of the block of wood, or just measuring the gap will let you know how much you are sloping!  :)

I'm a Tile/Stone mason.  You're correct as far as 1/4" per ft :) (outside applications is 1/4" per ft minimum)

I debated with myself as far as "skim" floating the surface which our spa would sit,prior to installation. As water seeks it's own level,I knew that I would have approximately 1 inch difference from 1 side of the tub to the other. For me,ultimately,was no big deal. To this day,the spa has operated flawlessly.

If anyone attempts to skim float a pre-existing slab,the bond and the compaction of the skim float is critical!  I would suggest to anyone attempting it,to use a bonderizer,and most importantly,to add at least 50% latex to the floating material they are gonna use. The thicker the bed,the stronger it will be.  Color of float/patch will be an issue too,so there's another consideration if it will protrude beyond the spa.

Eventually I plan on using wire cut brick pavers on entire surface of pool deck,and upper pad,which currently our spa sits. At that time,I can pre-float that pad,and get it to 1/16" per ft.  I still prefer a tad bit of runoff. When I tackle that project,I'll take pics etc,so the pros can offer it as a service to their customers at their discreation.

tootall

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 07:55:16 pm »
An 1/4 inch per foot is good I need to take photos as i progress in this prodject i will have my slab slope in two directions with an lenth to make sure when I drain it the water will flow away from my house. :) not to it and in to my day light basement. :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 07:55:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42