What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stuart...Brewman...anyone else..Spa wiring  (Read 6472 times)

PGA

• Still Learning!!!
Stuart...Brewman...anyone else..Spa wiring
« on: June 08, 2005, 02:07:05 pm »
I want to run wires myself and most of the connections my question is two fold.

1.  Can I run the wiring thru my attic ( plenty of room) or do I need to trench and bury in pipe( already have trench dug for drainage)  

2.  I am going to have a run around 125'-150' is #6 good enough for this run with a 60Amp GFI sub breaker 10' from spa. I also want to run maybe two 110 off of sub as well.

I'm on a 150 main now

Any help would be appreciated. I have checked posts back one year but if I missed this thread else were let me know and I'll go look.

Thanks.........PGA

Hot Tub Forum

Stuart...Brewman...anyone else..Spa wiring
« on: June 08, 2005, 02:07:05 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Stuart...Brewman...anyone else..Spa wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 02:19:31 pm »
From what I understand you will be fine with the #6 up to 150 ft, running in the attic with the proper conduit will be fine... you should be able to use a #10 wire for the ground .......this is based on a 50 amp run but I think the 60 will also be fine .....of course check with your local licensed electrician to be sure ....

shabba34

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 02:49:47 pm »
I want to run wires myself and most of the connections my question is two fold.

1.  Can I run the wiring thru my attic ( plenty of room) or do I need to trench and bury in pipe( already have trench dug for drainage)  

2.  I am going to have a run around 125'-150' is #6 good enough for this run with a 60Amp GFI sub breaker 10' from spa. I also want to run maybe two 110 off of sub as well.

I'm on a 150 main now

Any help would be appreciated. I have checked posts back one year but if I missed this thread else were let me know and I'll go look.

Thanks.........PGA

6/3 romex would be cheaper and easier running thru the attic.  You may need to do a load calculation to make sure you have enough service to hold everything.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 02:52:54 pm »
Sounds like you are planning to install a sub panel to power your spa, and also a couple 120v outlets?

It so, I don't think you can feed the sub panel with #6, you'd probably have to run #4, which is good up to 100 amps.  You could then install your 60 amp GFI breaker and run #6 from there to the spa.  You'd then need to install a standard 15 or 20 amp breaker for the outlets, and run 14 gauge (15 amp) or 12 gauge (20 amp) for your outlet circuit.  And you'd need to put GFI protection on those outlets if they are outside.  

Or do I have the wrong idea on your plan?

You can run thru the attic, you'd need to put the wires in a conduit.  Your 150 amp service should be adequate as long as you don't already have a lot of power hungry things hooked up.  Like central a/c, electric dryer, oven, water heater, etc.....  

Brewman
Brewman

shabba34

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 02:59:18 pm »
Sounds like you are planning to install a sub panel to power your spa, and also a couple 120v outlets?

It so, I don't think you can feed the sub panel with #6, you'd probably have to run #4, which is good up to 100 amps.  You could then install your 60 amp GFI breaker and run #6 from there to the spa.  You'd then need to install a standard 15 or 20 amp breaker for the outlets, and run 14 gauge (15 amp) or 12 gauge (20 amp) for your outlet circuit.  And you'd need to put GFI protection on those outlets if they are outside.  

Or do I have the wrong idea on your plan?

You can run thru the attic, you'd need to put the wires in a conduit.  Your 150 amp service should be adequate as long as you don't already have a lot of power hungry things hooked up.  Like central a/c, electric dryer, oven, water heater, etc.....  

Brewman

In FL we can use romex in the attic, Cali may be different, and like brew said # 4 may be better with such a long run.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 04:31:08 pm »
The romex thing seems to vary by location.  My inspection required an insulated ground wire the entire feed, something romex didn't have, hence the need for the THWN and conduit.  
Brewman
Brewman

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 05:17:44 pm »
What we got for ours running 240 volt is we went to Lowes and bought: Homeline Hot tub/pool/spa pack 50 amp breaker 2 pole ground has everything in it we need to run the tub then #6 wire OMG he bought 80 feet of that at almost 2 bucks a foot 94 bucks worth (he seems to think I think we are going full length of the trailer!) Bought some pipe and ran the piece of wire that goes directly from the hot tub to the outdoor box (see above) into the pipe (why I don't have any clue and frankly I don't care he's the one who knows what he is doing...he's been on the phone and working with a contractor and will have the electrician come out to inspect before we hook up all of it anyway all of what we bought including a breaker for the main breaker box in the house (50 amp I think) was about 250

PGA

• Still Learning!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 05:47:03 pm »
Thanks for all the good advice :D I have an electrician coming today to give me ideas and will let you know what he says. Sorry for the short posts but real busy.

Thanks ;D  

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 06:13:05 pm »
If you want to run just the spa # 6 will be fine...

If you want to run the spa and some 110 power you will need #4.

I would do 6/3wg or 4/3wg just remember that code in most places requires a subpanel or disconnect no closer than 5 ft no further than 25 ft within veiw of the spa.

PGA

• Still Learning!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 12:23:27 am »
Good news. :)  Bad news.  :(

Good news:
Previous owners had a spa and the main panel has a 60 amp breaker already in it and not being used so all I have to do is run the wiring thru my attic. Then either out at attic and down the side with conduit or down thru the wall and out to the backof the sub panel. The electrician thought that #6 would be enough to run spa and 2-120 lines. I'm not convinced yet and will have one more come over for a look see and bid. With me buying all parts and running the line his cost was $300-$400.

Bad news:
Main is only 100 not 150. If I want to and anything else  like recessed lighting or a/c I will need a new panel.

Any advice?????      

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 07:15:17 am »
 Make sure your electrician pulls a permit and gets the job inspected. It's for your protection. If your house catches on fire and the insurance investigator finds inadequate wiring, he may say "tuff luck!" :-[

Upgrading the house service involves more than just changing the panel; usually the wiring has to be changed from the pole outside, to everything involved between it and the panel. If I were adding a decent sized hot tub to a house with just a 100-amp service, I would upgrade to 150 or 200 amp.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 07:40:21 am »
Check out

www.homewiringandmore.com

Look for the links to "Demand Load Calculation", and work the math.  That'll tell you where you are load wise, and if a service upgrade is in order.  

You MAY get away with a #6 feeder to your sub for spa and an outlet circuit, but since you're running a sub down there anyway, consider sending 100 amps with #4 wire.  It will cost a few bucks more for the wire, but you'll have flexibility to add additional circuits from that sub in the future, if you want.  

As for the service upgrade, if you choose that route, compare the price between 150 and 200 amps.  Unless 200 amps is way more $$$ than 150, go for the 200.
Service upgrades can be expensive.

Brewman
Brewman

PGA

• Still Learning!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 09:00:06 am »
Thanks for the advice :) Two quotes so far for upgrading to 200 amps. $1500 & $1650 not including spa. It looks like we will up grade to 200 amps.

Thanks Guys for all the advice and I will keep you updated

kd      

PGA

• Still Learning!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 02:36:11 pm »
Brewman shouldn't I use 6/4 or 4/4 to run to the sub? ???  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 04:17:56 pm »
Not quite sure what you're asking.  
Is it what gauge wire to use, or how many wires you'd need to feed the sub.  
If you are allowed to run 6 gauge, and can use romex cable, then you'd want 6/3 with ground.  
If you have to or want to run 4 gauge, I'm not sure if that comes in romex type cable or not, I've never shopped for any romex over 6 gauge, so not sure if it exists or not.  
If you run the #4, you can use THHN/THWN wires.  I did this for a 100 amp sub, and I was allowed to go with #4 hots, a #6 neutral, and a #8 ground, all wires were insulated, colored correctly, and run in pvc conduit.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 04:17:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42