What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 14038 times)

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
Gas Prices
« on: March 23, 2005, 03:05:19 pm »
Crude oil tumbles as inventories climb
Last Updated Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:39:45 EST
CBC News
NEW YORK - Crude oil futures dropped more than $2.50 US a barrel Wednesday after the U.S. Energy Department reported that crude supplies had surged in the past week.

Crude futures in New York were down $2.53 US at $53.50 US a barrel during the lunch hour.

Funny, the price at the pump hasn't fallen.

Kills me that there's absolutely NO hesitation when raising prices.

Jc

How do you know how much you don't know?

Hot Tub Forum

Gas Prices
« on: March 23, 2005, 03:05:19 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 03:45:11 pm »
Real sore subject here in Columbus everytime that every station in town raises their prices the exact same amount at the exact time for the 2nd or 3rd time in the same week.  Ordinarily, I don't suspect coverups and that kind of thing, but our tv news always goes out and does the same lame story.

They go to some local filling station, jump in the clerk's face when they have 100 people waiting and ask, "Why are prices so hi? They always get the same dumb look from Jethro.  Why doesn't any one asked who decided how much to raise and when?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 03:46:27 pm »
And another thing from the past.  I use to go to work the same day everyday for 10 years.  My routine was like clock work.  I would get to the same corner everyday as the new radio station would air the news.  If they had a story that said, "An Arab farted today, that will result in gas prices rising 2 cents per gallon" I would get about a mile down the road and the guy at the corner station would be walking to the sign raising the price 2 cents. I know he listened to the same news.  Its all the media's fault.

While oil prices are up, there are a lot of crooks making a lot of money now and a lot of lies being told.

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand

Love it,  I wish I had thought of that instead of FD&H
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 03:53:07 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 03:59:19 pm »
If the price of crude drops today, how long do you think it is until that lower priced crude reaches the gas pumps?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 04:18:00 pm »
If the price of crude drops today, how long do you think it is until that lower priced crude reaches the gas pumps?

never

the price shall be what they want it to be - it's all make believe...  just like the decimation of the jackalope in Vaduz requires that we drill fer oil in Alaska
e

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 06:43:18 pm »
Man .....

Why worry about oil/gas prices?????

Just put a super thick insulating cover on your vehicles and it will be way more energy efficient!!!!!

;D

Sorry couldnt resist.... ;)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 07:34:45 pm »
I am reminded of going to see a movie somewhere around 1980 and it was supposed to be a comedy, but the only laugh came when a guy pulled into a station and the price was 35.9

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 08:59:45 pm »
And personally Bill, I never thought you were all that D.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

saz

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 10:45:46 am »
Just  a question, but how much are you actually paying for petrol in the States at the mo?

saz

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 11:50:17 am »
Earlier this week I heard that the national average is somewhere in the $2.07 per gallon.  In my area last week it spiked to $2.19, now it's SLOWLY crawling back toward $2.00, maybe $2.04 or so.

I just talked to a co worker who's from England.  His wife is visiting there this week, and he told me that gasoline there was the equivalent to about $10/gallon! :o :o :o

How'd you like to fill up a 30 gallon tank at those prices?

Brewman
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 11:51:24 am by Brewman »
Brewman

saz

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 12:33:43 pm »
yeah, his wife isnt far wrong!!!  The thing is, a lot of the money we pay for the petrol over here is tax to the government...but that doesnt stop the petrol companies putting up the prices, so by default, the government get even more after a price rise because the amount they get is based on a percentage of the price.  
I think your co-workers wife must be in the South somewhere - prices in the North are always a bit cheaper, but we're hitting the £4.00 a gallon mark, which is approc $7.50/$8.00.
Anyone wanna start selling me petrol as an import!!!!!lol

saz

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 12:47:36 pm »
That's incredible Saz - paying that much!

Yet, when you consider that oil is a finite resource that will dry-up in the next 50 years or so, then I shouldn't be too shocked at these prices -

Scary thing is, one day we'll probably look back and say, " do you remember when gas was only ...."?

Jc

(who wishes he had enough money for a hybrid) :P
How do you know how much you don't know?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 01:58:36 pm »
[quote author=JcDenton Scary thing is, one day we'll probably look back and say, " do you remember when gas was only ...."?

Jc

(who wishes he had enough money for a hybrid) :P[/quote]

29.9 cents is the cheapest I remember when I started mowing lawns for money around 1971 or so.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 02:31:14 pm »
When I started driving, circa 1978, I remember gas at about $0.50/gallon.  Within a year or so it was up to $1.00/gallon.  That seemed like a really big deal back then.  

In the early 70's one of my uncles drove a Mercedes Benz diesel car, and he was paying about $0.10 per gallon, and had to fill up at truck stops.  They stayed with us for a few days in the middle of winter, and left the car running in the driveway the entire time- it was hard to start the car when it was parked outside in sub zero temps.  But the diesel used so little fuel when idling, it cost almost nothing to do that.  
Brewman
Brewman

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 04:25:20 pm »
Imagine what will be happening to the price of spas because of all this. Why should it affect hot tubs?

Acrylic
PVC plumbing
foam insulation
vynil spa cover
foam core in spa cover
plastic wrap to protect foam core

the list goes on and on and on all these items are petrolium derivitives. So the next time your customer asks, "why are these dern thangs so 'spensive?" ......
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 04:25:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42