What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: eletric in.. WOW  (Read 4970 times)

goingwarp

• nothin like tubbin after a long day
eletric in.. WOW
« on: January 13, 2005, 05:29:09 pm »
I have had my tub now since 10-04 (not a long time) I have had 2 complete eletric bill and I am now in complete shock, before I purchased my tub I always heard the bill may go up 20.00 or so bucks, well my bill last jan was 62.00 this jan os 143.00 that is more then double, is there anything that can be done to reduce the amount of energy the tub sucks. I have a hydropool it has a economy mode whitch only turns the heat on when the filter cycle hits (whitch is twice a day 4 hrs each). I need to try to get this bill down otherwise I will have to drain the tub . thanks for any help.

Hot Tub Forum

eletric in.. WOW
« on: January 13, 2005, 05:29:09 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: eletric in.. WOW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 06:20:36 pm »
You might want to re-exam those numbers as I've never heard of any tub using that sort of power. Maybe 15 years ago... :-/

I've run into many customers over my years in retail that are way out on their guesses. I had a guy a few years ago that came in with similar numbers on his Beachcomber. We installed a meter right at his tub and after 8 months, it averaged less than $25.00 monthly.

If you don't beleive me that yours is running less than a buck a day to operate only 8 hours a day, get your dealer to do the same.

Consider other sources as well. I know it's always the easiest thing to blame it on the spa, but I guarantee you that those numbers are nowhere near what your spa will cost.

Steve

nicker

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 07:29:07 pm »
I would say somthing else must be contributing to this high bill.   There was another post with a similar situation a little while back and I think they found it to be the pump drawing more power then it should be.  I would call your dealer and find out if there is a way to get it checked out.   As Steve said it should be between the $20.00 - $30.00 area depending on electicity costs where you are.  Unfortunatly we moved into our new house and got the tub right away so I can't compare it to previous months.   So far from my bills from August to now the biggest increase was $23.97.  Now that also includes more hydro use in general as the furnace runs more and you are in doors more now so my lights etc are being used more.  So all and all thats not bad.  And my bill in August, Sept didn't had must AC use either as it wasn't that hot so the $23.00 is pretty close.

goingwarp

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 12:28:08 am »
I guess for now I will not drain the tub, the only thiing I can think of that could have increased the bill was christmas lights and the fact that I had lots of company around the holiday, I will let this go another month  but in the mean time  maybe I will cal my dealer to have them chek the pump to make sure it is not drawing too much, by the way if it was drawing to much shouldn't it blow the circuit breaker?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 12:53:44 am »
Hi warp. Personally, I can't see a pump drawing that much power and causing this dramatic effect on the power consumption.

Certainly get your dealer to inspect your system and let me know what the result was. Thanks for your kind reply in the messege area and I'm glad you enjoy your spa. The last thing you want to do is drain something as enjoyable as a home spa. I'm sure you won't have to.

I'll check in with you when I return to see if there's been any service call and what the result was. Take care,

Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 07:58:00 am »
Christmas light can add substantially to an electric bill.
So can having more people around than usual.
Keep an eye on your KWH consumption as you go forward.  After a few months, you'll get more of a feel of the impact on your bill.  We average maybe $30-40 per month, but that's just an average.  It's going to be below zero around here for the next several days, and do doubt that will increase the spa's power consumption.
Brewman
Brewman

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 09:13:13 am »
warp,
I wouldn't get too concerned. Most hot tubs today run about a buck a day. There has to be something else causing the high bill. Definately, do not drain the spa, the reason you bought it in the first place was to enjoy it. I personnally use my spa all winter, outside in the Northeast, I believe it costs about 28 doollars monthly. You will find the source for the higher electric bill.
Sit back and enjoy your investment... :D

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 09:45:32 am »
Warp,  Call your dealer and your power company. Something else must be going on other than the norm.
I am new to the spa world and knew nothing other than I wanted one. I have a 400 gal spa and I live in the northern midwest. Todays temp is -11 so I was also concerned in the beginning. In the summer months I seen as little as an $11.00 increase. My December 04 bill was $19.00 over last year with out spa.

I am paying .07900/kWh

Good luck to your solution.

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 10:51:49 am »
Did you dump and refill in January? If so you had the heater running full bore for a few hours warming the water from 50's to 100? That will use a good chunck of power.

goingwarp

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 02:33:00 pm »
no I did not dump, I am due to dump the first week of feb, but I will wait until after the 10th of feb (that starts a new eletric billing cycle).

wetone

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 03:02:32 pm »
I can't see your spa using that kind of power, $20 - $30 per month based on use and power cost would typicaly be the norm.

I have been metering the power draw on my spa this  Dec. We use it regulary 5 days a week 30-45 min per use.  Canadian winter temp.

The spa used 327 Kwh of power for Dec/30 day's x $.05.5 p/kwh = $17.99

poolboy34

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 08:23:23 pm »
christmas equals company.......which most likely wanted to use the spa........more people using the spa then normal, for longer periods then normal with jets on high equals more cost to run per month.  By chance do you have electric heat????

goingwarp

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 06:50:25 pm »
I agree with the hole x-mas company and extra use of the tub,  this months bill  should reflect more of the tub with noone else around, I do not have eletric heat (natural gas)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 09:08:41 pm »
Well, I had a similar experience here (actually a couple of them) and when we confronted the power company they said that the customer was on "bill averaging" and the meter reader saw a spa so they "estimated" what the spa would run. You might check on that....

goingwarp

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 11:17:47 pm »
I did check on the meter reading and confirmed with the eletric co. that this bill was not estimated

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 11:17:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42