What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How Much Diclor  (Read 6241 times)

flajoker

• Hot Springs...Envoy
How Much Diclor
« on: January 11, 2005, 02:17:14 pm »
How much to start with 400gal. spa.
Put in 1 tablespoon last night and today there is none.
Didn't use hottub last night.
Last night reading says it was fine.
I guess I didn't start with enough in the beginning when I filled tub.

Hot Tub Forum

How Much Diclor
« on: January 11, 2005, 02:17:14 pm »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: How Much Diclor
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 02:53:13 pm »
flajoker,

The way I have understood it to work is this.  You soak, throw in a tsp. of dichlor and leave it.  The next day, the levels should be low, that way if you soak, there is very little chemicals in the spa.  Get out, throw in a tsp. of dichlor, and that is what takes care of the stuff brought into the spa by my body!  By the next day, the levels should be low again.  

That has worked for me for over a year now!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 02:53:53 pm »
Figuring about 1.5 ppm/tsp., I usually start off a new fill with 1 tbsp. (3 tsp.) raising the ppm to about 4.5.  After each soak, I use anywhere from 1-3 tsp. depending on bather load.  And as you noticed, free chlorine readings will drop over time as the chlorine either combines or dissipates..... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

flajoker

• Hot Springs...Envoy
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 03:44:28 pm »
So far today I have put 3 tablespoons to reach 4-5ppm. When I first filled the tub we added 1 teaspoon to start. Don't think that was enough in the beginning.
How do you tell if ozone is working?...by the bubbles?
It just seems every time I open the top in the evening you get a weird smelling chlorine smell. Maybe it is just me.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 04:03:39 pm »
The weird smell is most likely ozone.  You are using too much chlorine.  Add enough after use to get the level to 2-3 ppm and leave it alone.  The next morning there will most likely be very little, if any, free chlorine.  This is fine.  If you skip a day's use, add a little, unless you are using Nature2.  Shock once per week with either dichlor or non chlorine shock.  Check pH and TA weekly.

tvaughan

• Hot Springs Grandee Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 05:19:21 pm »
This does get confusing.  My water seems fine but I'm not sure.

My dealar says:Using Nature 2
  2 tbsp of MPS before each use
   6 tbsp of MPS once a week

3 tsp of dichlor if water is cloudy or every 4 months
   after water change and new nature2

My dealar says I've been using too much dichlor and that disables the nature2 cartridge.

I've been using 1tsp dichlor after each spa use and  6tbsp of mps once a week.  Like I said the water has
seemed to be fine.  I guess I'll change the water and try the Silver Ion (Nature2) sanitation schedule.

I also wonder what the difference between the Nature2 cartridge my watkins dealer provides and the Nature2 cartridge everyone else sells.  The one from the Hotsprings dealer is GRAY the others are Yellow.

Lori

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 08:58:30 pm »
tvaughn,

The N2 and the Freshwater (Watkins) are both made by the same company.  If you notice, on the gray one, it has the N2 logo.  The difference is the gray one is made specifically for Watkins filter pipes.  The yellow ones have to be modified to work!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 11:30:49 pm »
So far today I have put 3 tablespoons to reach 4-5ppm. When I first filled the tub we added 1 teaspoon to start. Don't think that was enough in the beginning.
How do you tell if ozone is working?...by the bubbles?
It just seems every time I open the top in the evening you get a weird smelling chlorine smell. Maybe it is just me.

The reason for the chlorine smell and (probably the cover and headrest deterioration) is that you are putting in too much di-chlor. Back it off by about 50% and you will see the smell go away. 4-5ppm is OK right after putting it in but if you STILL have that level the next day you've got too nuch in there (with an ozonator).
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 05:02:27 pm »
I get a kick out of dealers who give false information.  Nature2 states that you can substitute dichlor for MPS (and use a whole lot less product).  No way does dichlor neutralize the N2 cartridge.  The only thing it neutralizes is dealers pockets.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
;)Re: How Much Diclor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 05:09:39 pm »
I wouldn't use too much DiChlor either. The smell that you're getting could be one of many things.
I put in about a tblspn every evening, AFTER I get out of the spa. Using too much DiChlor will discolor your pillows and leave a harsh smell when you open the cover. You will know the difference between the DiChlor odor and Ozone odor before too long.
Just don't overdo it with chemicals, if you are using a N2 system, you still need to use a monopersulphate shock daily, maybe DiChlor once a week.

Good Luck...

tvaughan

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 05:22:03 pm »
tvaughn,

The N2 and the Freshwater (Watkins) are both made by the same company.  If you notice, on the gray one, it has the N2 logo.  The difference is the gray one is made specifically for Watkins filter pipes.  The yellow ones have to be modified to work!

So what modification would be needed on the yellow ones?

Lori

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 06:44:44 am »
To be honest, I never got the yellow ones to try!  Once my cartridge ran out, my dealer had quit selling HotSpring, so I tried my tub without it.  I haven't had any problems so I figured I would go without!

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Re:  ;)How Much Diclor
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 10:05:30 am »
I wouldn't use too much DiChlor either. The smell that you're getting could be one of many things.
I put in about a tblspn every evening, AFTER I get out of the spa. Using too much DiChlor will discolor your pillows and leave a harsh smell when you open the cover. You will know the difference between the DiChlor odor and Ozone odor before too long.
Just don't overdo it with chemicals, if you are using a N2 system, you still need to use a monopersulphate shock daily, maybe DiChlor once a week.

Good Luck...

I use 2 TEASP00NS of Enhanced Shock from Spa Guard witch contains both MPS and Dichlor, after I get out.  I alternate between MPS and Enhanced Shock for my weekly shocking.

Jonathan

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 01:07:43 pm »

So what modification would be needed on the yellow ones?

I don't have to make any modifications to get the yellow ones to fit in my HS Landmark.  The N2 comes with 2 'support' pieces that fit together then get connected to the N2 but I find if I just use one, the N2 is in the proper place in the filter.  I have not gotten nearly as much foaming since I started using N2 and I fouond my dichlor usage was about half.

tvaughan

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 10:30:02 pm »

I don't have to make any modifications to get the yellow ones to fit in my HS Landmark.  The N2 comes with 2 'support' pieces that fit together then get connected to the N2 but I find if I just use one, the N2 is in the proper place in the filter.  I have not gotten nearly as much foaming since I started using N2 and I fouond my dichlor usage was about half.

Yea I was planning on trying the regular N2.  I can get the regular N2 cartridges for $15 where the ones from the HS dealer here are around $30.00.  I would think that they would all work the same but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe one of the Pros will let me know.

-Tom-

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 10:30:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42