What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemicals  (Read 6857 times)

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
Chemicals
« on: November 09, 2004, 02:01:49 pm »
Have read the Northman version and the Vermont style and read the threads here and there. Am thinking breathing issues with Bromine, NOT GOOD. IONS and other more expensive treatments are exactly that; more expensive.

Itching????
Dry skin???

I seemed to notice more of chlorine odor when testing a Jacuzzi that had something bobbing around. Perhaps it should not have been in there with me? Or me with it? What was odd was how I could smell the chlorine on my finger tips or fingernails in the middle of the night. I have no idea was this Bromine or Chlorine.

Right now simple would be easier and that appears to be dichlor. The mystery tub has Ozone. I would like to have this work so I didn't always smell chlorine.

regards

Hot Tub Forum

Chemicals
« on: November 09, 2004, 02:01:49 pm »

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
Re: Chemicals
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 02:22:12 pm »
I cant speak for other tubs, only my own.  I never have a chlorine odor unless I've just dosed it or the morning after a shock.  We dose at night, use the next night and I dont ever smell chlorine. I smell the ozone when we lift the cover.

• Wot the
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 02:35:14 pm »
I cant speak for other tubs, only my own.  I never have a chlorine odor unless I've just dosed it or the morning after a shock.  We dose at night, use the next night and I dont ever smell chlorine. I smell the ozone when we lift the cover.

And this is dichlor right?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 02:51:25 pm »

As a dichlor user, this pretty much is my experience. Having grown up with a school that had an indoor swimming pool I got use to the smell of chlorine.  I add after we get out and if I open the cover 10 minutes later I get what I think is a nice chlorine smell (barely noticable) If I do a shock level or just add too much the smell becomes obnoxious lifting the cover shortly after, or the next morning as Calico says, but usually by next usage I don't notice any smell on my skin or when applicable suit.  Perhaps the dealers at the wet test throw in just a little right before your wet test?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 03:13:11 pm »
Dichlor is chlorine.

I have the same experience with mine as wmmcall and UTS.

Dose when I get out. (I also have ozone.)  There is no smell the next day when I want to use the tub.  The little it does smell when I shock is not as bad as I have witnessed in public pools or spas.
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

• Wot the
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 04:13:57 pm »
Oh, I remember at the Master Spa wet test, just as I was getting ready to get in this guy gets a small bottle with a dropper and drops some liquid in.

Was this the unknown visitor anti-contamination preventative?

It did cover me with a lingering chlorine smell.

Winnsome

• I love Hot Tubbbing and Boating.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 04:28:08 pm »
We use a chemical treatment called "Pristineblue".  Any body used this process?  I believe its similiar to Nature2 or similiar type.  Use's copper ions in the water.  So far, after two months of use, No smells, ph, Alk, etc are perfect and the water is clear as it should be.  But what do the experts think?
www.Pristineblue.com

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 05:30:09 pm »
My experience is the same as the dichlor users above...no chlorine smell, ever.

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 07:25:48 pm »
Same here as above.

• Wot the
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 08:26:54 pm »
Incredible, a consensus on this board?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 08:54:10 pm »

I Like Bromine! ;D Sorry Tubbin...I know it's unlike me to disagree but... ;) ! I believe any proper sanitizing system will work well if the appropriate levels are maintained regularly. Heck, it's bascially half chlorine anyway right?

We use a chemical treatment called "Pristineblue".  Any body used this process?  I believe its similiar to Nature2 or similiar type.  Use's copper ions in the water.  So far, after two months of use, No smells, ph, Alk, etc are perfect and the water is clear as it should be.  But what do the experts think?
www.Pristineblue.com

So how do you test for safe sanitizer levels? Are you also using small quantities of chlorine?

Some here have seen me type this before  but beware of relying on the clarity of water. Battery acid is clear also. Many assume their water is fine if it's clear. Your balancing can be completely out of whack and still maintain clarity to some degree.

Steve

salesdvl

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 09:06:49 pm »

OK, what do I have to do to break this up.??  You know we aren't supposed to agree.   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

Winnsome

• I love Hot Tubbbing and Boating.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 09:40:57 pm »
We test the PristineBlue for the "shocking" ability with a copper ion test.  Then you follow the Pristineblue chart for how much to add once every two weeks.  You can still use a little Chlorine if needed.  But so far, not needed.  The sanitizer levels are checked with this copper ion test.  But being new to the spa world, this is why I am asking questions.  This site has been very helpful to us.  Have learned a lot.

• Wot the
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 06:33:17 am »
I have not the priviledge of having a tub to test....yet. It is just outside my reach but in town. I am planning on getting the Taylor test set but there seems to be more than one kit. The approximately $40-50 kit I think is what would do the job. It has something for ph, calcium, chlorine, bromine, and TDS?

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 06:37:32 am »
Tubbinsoon,

The Taylor test for Chlorine/Bromine (whichever you use), calcium, ph, alkalinity.  There is also a test for CYA (I think, I've never used it).

TDS I check with strips, which are just a guide.  If I want proper TDS levels, I take it to a professional to test!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 06:37:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42