What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MicroBan Nonsense?  (Read 10201 times)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
MicroBan Nonsense?
« on: September 12, 2004, 05:08:54 pm »
If microban is such a great producty, why is it that none of the "top five" use it?
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

MicroBan Nonsense?
« on: September 12, 2004, 05:08:54 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: MicroBan Nonsense?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 05:26:33 pm »
If microban is such a great producty, why is it that none of the "top five" use it?

What does D1 have the other top spas don't?

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 05:42:10 pm »
Marquis has made it standard on thier "granite type finishes"....

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 05:53:12 pm »

I guess that depends on what you call the top five? I think its more a choice of who the Manufactures go through for acrylic, if your Manufacture uses Lucite it's available to them.

You would be surprised at all of the things it is used in that you come into contact with everyday! Take a look for yourself http://www.microban.com/.

Now, my personal opinion is that if the filtration system is over engineered for the tub MicroBan might be overkill but it certainly can't hurt!

As far as why don't some of the bigger companies use it, many like D1 and HotSpring use a proprietary material that it would not make sense for the expense of adding another skew option to make the change.

The reality is if shoppers hot buttons were more oriented towards filtration and bacteria control instead of jets, motors, waterfalls and lights than I'm sure you would see the whole industry looking at a microbe control material. No matter what anyone says, spas are an emotional purchase and the more things you add that stimulate the emotional receptors the more attention you will get.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 05:58:58 pm »
We sell both and the customer likes the look of Microban over the standard granites
beyond any potential other benefits.

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 09:59:32 pm »
Master Spas....

1. Hot springs
2. Sundance
3. Master spas..

Oh look there they are # 3 on the list! They use Microban. I guess you were looking at some other top 5 list? As for it's benefits? It was a major point in buying the master but, what the heck, throw it in too!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 10:57:14 pm »
Interesting to see just how many spa companies use this it. I know we do and of course it's excepted as a benefit for the consumer. It's not a major selling feature an often I don't even promote it as such but as Stuart mentioned...it can't hurt!

I do remember hearing years ago that it couldn't be sold as a product that kills bacteria but rather a product that prevents the growth of it on the acrylic surface.

Anyone with good information on this topic could maybe elaborate...

Steve

poolboy34

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 11:11:22 pm »
Drifter, I understand that you are very happy with your spa.  and all of us are glad to know that you are having a great ownership experience with no troubles.  But let's be honest here, those of us in the industry all know that master spas is NOT in the top 3 or top 5 or whatever lists we may come up with for production of spas.  It's failry well known that world wide Watkins manufacturing, Sundance, and Dimension One are three of top companies in the industry in terms of sales.   Master Spas makes  a good product, but let's not confuse sales marketing mumbo jumbo with the real big picture here.  As for the microban.............as far as i know Lucite uses this in their acrylic shells. We happen to sell hawkeye spas, which utilizes Lucite for it's spa shells.  Having talked with our rep, he confirmed that microban cannot be marketed as a bacteria KILLER. it can however be marketed as a bacteria inhibitor, meaning that it can prevent bacteria from growing on the spa shell.  he also said that because of the microban in the acrylics Lucite is able to offer richer looking colors in their shells.  Now THAT is a good sellling point as it gives the consumer more color options to choose from.

Jason

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 11:14:58 pm »
Drifter,
Master may be in the top three of the arjuna list but they would have to add alot more than microban to even make the top ten. I'm really happy yours is working out for you and I wish you the best!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 11:20:42 pm »
Drifter,
Master may be in the top three of the arjuna list but they would have to add alot more than microban to even make the top ten. I'm really happy yours is working out for you and I wish you the best!

MasterBashers Unite!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2004, 11:46:53 pm »

MasterBashers Unite!
 8)

This sounds like a very cool club! I want to join, I have no love for their sleazy marketing or poor quality. Have you guys ever looked at how cheap those side panels are made?

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 07:57:29 am »
How much of a problem is bacteria growing on the shell?  

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 08:35:41 am »
This sounds like a very cool club! I want to join, I have no love for their sleazy marketing or poor quality. Have you guys ever looked at how cheap those side panels are made?

LOL!  You sound like a perfect prospect!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

spaguyohio

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 09:37:53 am »
Hmm, sleazy / cheap panels? I guess those would be the Masterwood panels that customers asked for. The regular panels are the duramaster panels.

I bet half the folks who bash Master have never been in one, other than the few dealers who frequent here.

Proud MS owner.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 10:43:45 am »
I bet half the folks who bash Master have never been in one, other than the few dealers who frequent here.

Proud MS owner.

I could have been a MS owner, but our dealer here wasn't too great.  I had a friend with an LX-1050 that I had been in .  We were looking at a model and wanted an 8 footer,  they only had a similar 7 footer on the floor. They told me the 8 footer would be in stock within 10 days and they would set it up for us for a test. 2 years later I am still waiting for that call.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 10:43:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42