What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help!!! contractor nightmare  (Read 5128 times)

jett

help!!! contractor nightmare
« on: July 20, 2004, 02:27:29 pm »
I have been actively researching to purchase a new spa. I spent all weekend wet testing before making my decision.

Last week I made an appt. for an electrician (recommended by one of the spa companies) to come out today and wire for my new spa. when I spoke to him on the phone I mentioned I had only looked at the Hot Springs spa (the Grandee) so far. He went on and on about how they are the "best" spa to get, etc.

Well today he came out and wired for the spa. He never asked me specifically what spa I was getting. I assumed he was just wiring for 50 amp and proper voltage. He charged me $6.00 per foot to run wiring, etc. a total of $600.

He now says that the wiring he provided will ONLY work for a HS Spa. I told him I had not made up my mind yet.  He said, well you have now...because this will ONLY work with a HS.

He had been recommended by several spa companies that I visited so I assumed the wiring was universal.

I'm not sure what to do now. Am I stuck with a HS? it's not a bad spa, but with this large of an investment, I prefer freedom of choice. Any advise?????

Hot Tub Forum

help!!! contractor nightmare
« on: July 20, 2004, 02:27:29 pm »

Dudley_Dawson

Re: help!!! contractor nightmare
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 02:34:46 pm »
Maybe your electrician is secretly working as a consultant/salesperson for HS...  

I don't know much about the electric hook-ups but I doubt what he installled ONLY works for HS.  My electrician worked up a material list without knowing what brand I bought.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 02:49:48 pm »
No electrician should install wiring without knowing exactly what you are going to get. If you have not made up your mind yet, he should put in the rough electrical, and wait to finish after you have decided.

HotSpring tubs do take substantially different wiring than other tubs. They are much safer as a result. But even so - there are several different ways to do the finish wiring according to the model you choose.

I can't tell you how many times I go to install a HotSpring tub and the electrician has not allowed for the sub panel. He had "Assumed" that the tub would be like the many others he has wired.

But good news: If you choose to go with a non-HotSpring tub, you can use the wiring you have. You will just need to swap the breakers in the subpanel for a single 50 or 60A GFI breaker, or take out the subpanel and replace it with another panel with different stuff in it.

By the way, 220volt HotSpring tubs come with the subpanel. Did your electrician already install one?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 04:39:29 pm »
contractor - CONTRACT

sS, what does the contract you signed read? Is this contractor licensed? You may not be obligated to even pay this guy.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

jett

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 05:22:48 pm »
He is licensed. Again, he was first referred by the HS dealer but then by Catalina, and Caldera. He was also putting in a 15 amp outlet for me and we were haggling over the price, so he had filled out paperwork but did not show it to me, nor did he ever ask me to sign anything, so I did not know he was wiring specific for HS until the work was done. He did put in a subpanel and said it is a $350 feature. My guess is that he gets paid by HS for the subpanel because that is something that both they and Caldera provide with the spa purchase. My decision process was down to a Jacuzzi or Sundance and I just want to make sure I can put one of these in without spending alot more $$$ for electrical.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 05:38:24 pm »
welllllll......... here in California, any work done over $300.00 requires that the contractor be not only licensed by the state, but that all work be in writing and signed by both parties. IF, any of this is NOT done, the homeowner is under NO obligation to pay the "contractor" (I've seen a few "contractors" kicked out of small claims court for failing to have/do one of these things).

Sounds to me like this "contractor" didn't live up to his end of the contract. If he thinks he did, ask to see the contract.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 05:45:26 pm »
Even among one spa brand the models can have  different wiring needs.  
Assuming a 220 volt spa.
For example, with my Optima, I can supply a 60, 50, or 40 (or is it 30?)amp feed.  The Optima, and some of the other Sundance spas only require a 3 wire feed- 2 hot leads and the ground.  Other spas that Sundance makes require the more usual 4 wire feed- the same as the 3 wire plus a neutral wire to allow a 120v split off, presumably to run the lights or radio.  
So in an ideal situation, you'd want to have a specific model in mind before having your wiring installed.  
Brewman
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 05:46:03 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

KevinH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 11:01:11 pm »
My Caldera takes 220V 50A 4 wire connection from the panel to the GFIC panel.

Most places also require a permit and inspection by the city/state.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 10:21:22 am »
How does a Hot Spring get wired differently....(Chas).....they do not use the common 4 wire run....What is different about them.... ::)

OnMedic

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 05:16:57 pm »
Hmmm... I used 6/3 direct burial from panel to GFCI to Tub... I thought that was common. I ran 50A with the suggestion to use 60 if I had blower.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 05:16:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42