What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best online pricing for hot tub chemicals?  (Read 7639 times)

f6487

Best online pricing for hot tub chemicals?
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:41:03 am »
I've ran through my starter chemicals and now I'm looking to buy in bulk to save some money.  I'm looking for great prices on Chlorine granules in 5lb containers.  The local hot tub dealers and pool & spa stores seems expensive.  Does anyone have a favorite online store.  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Best online pricing for hot tub chemicals?
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:41:03 am »

f6487

Re: Best online pricing for hot tub chemicals?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 12:11:33 pm »
Has anyone used either of these two products for there hot tub.  Or have any recommendations of Chlorine Granules that can be purchased on line in 5lb tubs.

Kem-Tek 005 Pool & Spa All in One Granules 5lb $26.97 (read a lot of reviews where people love this product in there hot tub)

Spa Choice Dichlor Chlorine Granules 5lb $29.95

richierich

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:33:13 pm »
Spa Choice Dichlor Chlorine Granules 5lb from spadepot.com is a good product.

f6487

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:48:11 pm »
Thanks.  I'm going to look into it.  Appreciate the feedback.

Sam

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 04:39:28 pm »
Make sure that it is 99% dichlor

Waterlogger

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »
dichlor is expensive and there is about 3 companies who make it...cant see there being much difference in price unless its full of fillers. I use 100%, $60 -100 for 7kg

richierich

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 06:21:47 pm »
Spa choice is 99% dichlor. I use it and find it to be a good product that sells at a reasonable price. Spadepot.com has been a reliable source for spa related purchases, mostly chems.

chem geek

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:13:47 am »
If you want to save money on spa chemicals like Dichlor, then get the same chemicals sold as pool products.  For example, while Leisure Time Spa 56 Chlorinating Granules cost $37.99 for 5 pounds so $7.60 per pound, the pool product GLB Granular Chlorine costs $24.95 for 4 pounds so $6.24 per pound.  Both of these products are 99% Dichlor.  The Spa Choice Spa Sanitizing Granules at SpaDepot referred to in earlier posts at $29.95 for 5 pounds is a good deal at $5.99 per pound.  Note that Pool Solutions Stabilized Chlorine Granules are on sale at $26.99 for 5 pounds so $5.40 per pound and for 10 pounds it is $4.70 per pound.

Of course if you were to use the Dichlor-then-bleach method then the cost would be far lower since you can get 8.25% bleach for $3.50 per gallon at Walmart.  One pound of Dichlor creates the same amount of Free Chlorine (FC) as 98 fluid ounces which costs $2.83.  If you switch to using bleach after using Dichlor to accumulate around 30 ppm Cyanuric Acid (CYA), then you'll want to lower the Total Alkalinity (TA) to around 50 ppm and use 50 ppm Borates such as from boric acid from Duda Diesel or The Chemistry Store.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:28:16 am by chem geek »

Levelheadsteve

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:13:39 pm »
If you only use dichlor and then shock with a high level of dichlor (is that a method?), will the CYA build up too high if you drain the tub every four months or so?  Or are there too many variables to be able to answer that?

If you use dichlor daily, is there a preferred method of shock?

chem geek

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 03:28:47 pm »
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor it also adds 9 ppm Cyanuric Acid (CYA).  Whereas the FC gets used/consumed, the CYA remains and only slowly gets oxidized by chlorine at the rate of roughly 5 ppm per month.  So yes, using Dichlor regularly, even if you don't use it to shock, will increase the CYA level making the chlorine less and less effective over time.  This is the primary reason one needs to change the water fairly frequently and without an ozonator roughly follows the industry Water Replacement Interval (WRI).

WRI (days) = (1/9) x (Spa Size in Gallons) / (# of Person-Hours Per Day)

(Technically, the industry formula uses 1/3 but assumes roughly 20 minute soaks.)  To avoid the buildup of CYA, one can use the Dichlor-then-bleach method where one uses Dichlor until one has cumulatively added around 33 ppm FC so is at around 30 ppm CYA.  After that, switch to using unscented plain (NOT splash-less, outdoor, etc.) bleach.  About once a month use Dichlor for a day to add back some CYA.  If you use this method, then once you switch to bleach you need to have the Total Alkalinity (TA) be low at around 50 ppm and should use 50 ppm Borates for additional pH buffering.  With this method, you can usually go at least twice as long between water changes compared to the traditional formula.

If you still want to use the Dichlor-only method, then if you use bleach to shock then that will reduce the amount of CYA buildup.  However, if you are properly maintaining the chlorine level and adding the appropriate amount after every soak, then there should be no need to shock (especially with the Dichlor-then-bleach method -- with Dichlor-only towards the later part of the water replacement interval you may need to shock to make up for chlorine's ineffectiveness in the presence of high CYA).  If there is no ozonator, then the rough rule-of-thumb for the amount of oxidizer that needs to be added after a soak is that every person-hour of soaking in a hot (104ºF) tub requires 3-1/2 teaspoons of Dichlor or 3-1/2 fluid ounces of 8.25% bleach or 7 teaspoons of non-chlorine shock (43% MPS).  The MPS is only used with silver ions such as in the Nature2 system.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:33:36 pm by chem geek »

Levelheadsteve

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 06:07:01 pm »
Thank you very much. I ordered my tub with an ozonator. Is there a big difference then in the amount of dichlor to use?

chem geek

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 02:44:13 am »
Yes there is.  With an ozonator, you use roughly half the rule-of-thumb dose after each soak, but you need to add roughly twice as much chlorine during the days in between soaks.  This estimate depends a lot on the strength and on-time of the ozonator so the real rule is to add whatever amount of chlorine after a soak so that you still have a residual 24 hours later and then to add enough chlorine every day or two to maintain a residual.

So an ozonator is a great thing if you are using the spa every day or two since ozone oxidizes bather waste so you use/need less chlorine (or any other oxidizer) for that purpose.  However, ozone also reacts with (uses up) chlorine so when there is no bather load you need to add more chlorine to maintain a background level.  So if you aren't using the spa every day or two, it's more work to maintain when using chlorine with an ozonator.  In that situation, a method such as Nature2 with MPS works better or bromine works better since ozone makes more bromine from a bromide bank.

Levelheadsteve

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 03:30:44 am »
Thanks for all of the information. I appreciate it.

f6487

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 06:52:50 pm »
I found a place in Northern CA called Leslie's Pool Supplies.  The brand of Chlorinated Granules that they sell is called Chlor Brite Quick Dissolving Chlorinating Granules and it's 99% Dichlor.  You can buy 1lb bags for $5.29 so 5lbs equals $26.45.  Seems like a good deal.

You can also buy a 12lb box for $57.96 which comes out to $4.83lb.  And then they sell 25lb tubs and it's gets even cheaper by the pound at that size.

I have some Spa Choice Chlorine Granules coming from the Spa Depot that was $29.95 for 5lbs plus $3.95 shipping.  I'm going to give the Chlor Brite Chlorine a try when I run through my current shipment of Spa Choice. 

Thanks.

Jentiferr

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 05:18:11 am »
PC chlorine granules which work well for hottub maintenance. They offer various packaging options at reasonable prices, catering to different needs.
Additionally, you can also search on large online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay. These platforms have numerous sellers offering different brands of chlorine granules. You can compare prices and reviews to find the best fit for your requirements.
https://poolclever.com/collections/chlorine-granules
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 03:30:41 am by Jentiferr »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 05:18:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42