What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2014 Opal Jacuzzi J-470  (Read 6220 times)

mrpenguin

2014 Opal Jacuzzi J-470
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:38:10 am »
OK, so after flip-flopping a ton between the blue or opal color (thread on colors), we decided on opal, and we are totally happy we did, we love the color.  Depending on the light and the angle you look at the tub, it can be anything from silver, gray, bronze, tan, white, etc.  It really looks elegant.

Delivered May 1.  Install was pretty quick, got the electric all done after so everything lined up perfect.  Finally finished filling it and had it ready at like 9pm, even with the water at 83 degrees, I had to go in just because of all the work.   Even though it was cold and I was shivering (hey - live in South Florida for over 20 years, you can't take cold any more), the tub was nice.   The next morning it was nice and warm, and when we went in next, ahhhhh.   I personally was not totally on board with getting any hot tub.  A bit of cash and work I didn't need.  I think every time I get in the tub, those thoughts disappear more and more.  I really enjoy the tub when it is just my wife and I in it relaxing.  I like my kids, but need a break and this works great.  They are allowed in, and we had fun with them in the tub going crazy.   I still much prefer just us two.  Oh, and when the jets turn off and the silence kicks in, the view of the ceiling with the lights through the water is nice, as well as looking out into the sky.

The foot dome in the tub is awesome.  We like both the foot jets, but also, I found the center volcano jet is nice if you let your legs just float above it.

The only issues we had were 1/2 the led's didn't really light up.  Found the cable that connected them in the main control box was barely hanging on there.  The attachment of those cables can be better designed.  I may have knocked it out doing the electric.  The other issue was getting a random "open flow switch" a few times here and there when we started the jets.  We also noticed the skimmer door didn't really open, like the bag blocks it.  I pushed it passed how the bag prevented it, and now it stays open inside the bag.  That could have been causing the other error, as we heard air by the filters before then occasionally.  We have not seen the error since.  I think it is odd too where they put the drain plugs right near the electric knock-outs.  Just odd.  Oh, and there are 2 drains!  One on the right side is not even mentioned in the book anywhere!  It is just a standard hose bib.  The other, mentioned in the book, has the quick drain port.   I wonder if this one could be used up North with a F-F hose as an input for flushing the system.

I paid $12,500 after tax, delivery, lifter, standard stuff.  This is in South Florida.  Not sure how good/bad or whatever the price is.  I am sure I am not the only one that is a bit worried that I paid more than I could have, got a smaller tub, other brand tub, etc, but it is done, we like it, move on.  Tax alone was just over $700.  I saved a bunch by doing the electric myself, with the advice/overview of an experienced friend (I've helped him many times in the past, so familiar with the task).  Materials cost me $382 to run 55' to the spa box and then about 40' from the spa box down and over and in to the spa.  I had some materials/wire on hand too.  Funny, even though the spa box is only about 10' away, needed all that distance so it can look nice from inside the house.   I know I still have to bolt down the pipe, gonna get to that soon.  Oh, and the patio slab obviously was already there from years past.

I want to get the testing kit and start getting the know that stuff, but at first, I knew the water was the same as taking a bath in the bathroom, so I got in without worries!  The water is still crystal clear days later (with adding suggested chems as directed after soaks).  I also want to get a nice set of spa robes, outdoor carpet of some sort and some other things to convert the patio, but no rush, just enjoying the tub for now.

Hot Tub Forum

2014 Opal Jacuzzi J-470
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:38:10 am »

Topline Mike

Re: 2014 Opal Jacuzzi J-470
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 01:27:12 pm »
Very nice, penquin.  I see some different controls on your model that I don't have on my 2012 J375.  What are the two controls on the left side of your picture?  I'm assuming one is for air, what's the other?  The pillows have definitely been redesigned, they look better than mine, darnit.  Is that a lighted Jacuzzi emblem on the outside of the shell to make sure you have power? 

mrpenguin

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »
Thanks.  Mine is a 470, so it has the 400 series controls & pillows vs the 300 series.  I sorta liked the 300 series controls a bit nicer in the showroom.  Not sure on the pillows if they make that much of a difference, but look nice with the lights.  oh, and in the front, next to the controller, one the left of the main control, the 2 control air for that seat and the waterfall option, on the right, they are air for that seat and the volcano option.  The lit emblem is so you can see if there is an issue, like no power, or red if error in tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42