What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A beginners guide to Hot Tub Chemistry  (Read 16913 times)

SnowHot

A beginners guide to Hot Tub Chemistry
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:04:42 pm »
As I noted in another thread, I'm PhilPug's wife, and while he was the main researcher on our hot tub purchase and set up, the chemistry has been my job.

Phil started this thread at my request( http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,15866.0.html), in part because I don't want to be that pesky customer bugging the Jacuzzi guy (his name is Mike and yes we're on a first name basis now) for every little question I have. 
So this is what I've found.  Mike's answers to me seemed complex, even though they weren't.  When I took the time to search this forum and get an understanding of hot tub chemistry, I realized what Mike was talking about and found simple(r) ways to find the right balance.
FWIW, I'm a believer in using the search function before asking a question and find the searches on this site to be extremely helpful.  Thanks

This brings me to the topic of this thread.
We lucked out and got a used Jacuzzi J- 345 which was only a couple years old.  The previous owner had a huge box of chemicals  which he gave us, some of which I have not used, nor found a need to use.

In the interest of K. I. S. S.  (Keep it Stupidly Simple).....

• Would you avoid getting an actual starter kit? (sometimes I think those kind of kits can be gimmicky)
  • What basic chemicals would you recommend to a new, first timer, hot tub owner
  • What basic advice would you give
  • Is there a preference between chlorine or bromide?
  • Would you recommend items like  a Spa Frog
  • What kind of test mechanism/strips would you recommend?

I'm not trying to lead with those questions, but am very interested in knowing what's the simplest way to help a n00b get acquainted with his/her new hot tub.  And, what kind of $$ are we talking about? 

Please give it your best KISS shot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:07:53 pm by SnowHot »

Hot Tub Forum

A beginners guide to Hot Tub Chemistry
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:04:42 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: A beginners guide to Hot Tub Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:46:18 pm »
You gave Mike thousands and thousands of dollars, and you're worried about being a pesky?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:59:48 pm »
    Would you avoid getting an actual starter kit? Yes, most of them contain things you may not even need

What basic chemicals would you recommend to a new, first timer, hot tub owner....chlorine, shock, pH up, pH down, a good filter cleaner solution, foam down and that's really about it, the chemicals you will use the most are chlorine, shock, and either pH up or pH down depending on your water so I recommend buying in bulk to save $..ie buy a 5lb or 10lb jug of chlorine vs a 1lb or 2lb.

What basic advice would you give....spa ownership in a nutshell is this: keep your pH, Alk., and Calcium in line, always always maintain a level of sanitizer in the water, chlorine levels should be between 1 - 3 ppm, and keep your filters as clean as possible, and drain and refill the tub at least 2 or 3 times per year (that number depends a lot on usage but 3 times is a pretty good avg. #)

Is there a preference between chlorine or bromide? chlorine, startup is easier and overall I just think chlorine is a little easier to maintain esp. for newbies

Would you recommend items like  a Spa Frog: I would never use one, your mileage may vary

What kind of test mechanism/strips would you recommend? keep test strips on hand for "quick" sanitizer level checks before/after usage but to initially balance your water at startup and for "maintenance checks" throughout the life of your water the best kit imho is the Taylor K-2006 which can be had on Amazon for about $60...imo this is an absolute must for new spa owners so they have a way to accurately test there water and then can understand how to keep the water balanced, I know a chemistry lesson doesn't sound fun but once you get the grasp it becomes an absolute piece of cake and understanding water balance only makes for a much better "feeling" soak and also helps the equipment (pumps, heaters, valves, jets, etc. etc.) last much longer than someone who just "throws a little of this and a little of that in once in awhile"

SnowHot

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 03:04:48 pm »
You gave Mike thousands and thousands of dollars, and you're worried about being a pesky?
Actually...
Mike helped us out a lot and we were saving more $$ to be able to buy a spa from him when we stumbled upon the same spa  (couple years old) for 1/4 or the price.
In Mikes words, we'd have been stupid to not snag that opportunity.  So, no, we didn't spend thousands of dollars with him, but we did establish a good relationship with him.   

In the mean time, this site has been a great source of information and I hope to learn enough that I can(one day) be a contributor as well as a sponge.

TwinCitiesHotSpring.  Nice KISS post.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:09:03 pm by SnowHot »

chem geek

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:11:17 pm »
You can get the Taylor K-2006 at a good price from TFTestkits.net.  They also sell the TF-100 which has more of the Taylor reagents you use the most, but the kit is more expensive as a result.

If you use the tub every day or two, then chlorine is generally easier, but if you only use the tub on weekends, then you may find bromine easier since bromine tabs can be used to maintain the bromine level in between your soaks.  Otherwise, with chlorine, you'd have to add more chlorine every day or two or perhaps if you dump in a lot, twice a week.  This is especially true if you have an ozonator since ozone destroys chlorine so if you don't soak frequently you end up using more chlorine and its level drops faster.  If you soak every day or two, then an ozonator helps by getting rid of bather waste so chlorine doesn't have to (as much) so in that case you use less chlorine.

SnowHot

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:35:02 pm »
Thank you for the replies.

I think this information is a (possible) good resource for all newbie hot tub owners.
Another question that I have that I'm sure is helpful to others is:
Do chemicals have a shelf life?

We got this list of chemicals from the previous owner:
Bromide
Spa Shock
DeFoamer
Clarifier
PH up
PH Down
Bromide Tabs
Calcium
Stain and Scale control

I have used:
Bromide
Spa Shock
Calcium
Bromide Tabs
Clarifier
DeFoamer -used once but it smelled bad and looked milky

On my own I've purchased
Calcium
Alkalinity Increaser
Test strips

Budgeting for a Taylor K-2006. 

Our Jacuzzi doesn't have an ozonator, nor does it have the Clear Ray® system

sorebikr

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 11:57:21 am »
Actually...
Mike helped us out a lot and we were saving more $$ to be able to buy a spa from him when we stumbled upon the same spa  (couple years old) for 1/4 or the price.
In Mikes words, we'd have been stupid to not snag that opportunity.  So, no, we didn't spend thousands of dollars with him, but we did establish a good relationship with him.   

In the mean time, this site has been a great source of information and I hope to learn enough that I can(one day) be a contributor as well as a sponge.

Question:  You mention keeping Calcium in line.  I've also read water hardness is irrelevant if your tub isn't set into concrete where pitting may be an issue.  Can you elaborate here?

vangoghsear

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:12:55 pm »
Low calcium can give a spa a greater propensity to foaming.

sorebikr

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 01:24:26 pm »
Low calcium can give a spa a greater propensity to foaming.

Source?  I have never heard that before anywhere.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 01:43:11 pm »
Actually...

Question:  You mention keeping Calcium in line.  I've also read water hardness is irrelevant if your tub isn't set into concrete where pitting may be an issue.  Can you elaborate here?

not completely irrelevant, but yes because of the materials used in spas you can run calcium lower than in a gunite pool for example without causing damage, but too low and you can cause excess foaming, like my post above I've found a good comfort level at around 150ppm

vangoghsear

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 02:43:47 pm »
Here's one source supporting claim that low calcium can allow foaming to occur:

http://www.hthpools.com/Troubleshooting/PoolSolutions/foaming.htm

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 02:51:13 pm »
•Would you avoid getting an actual starter kit? (sometimes I think those kind of kits can be gimmicky)
It depends what is in it. Chlorine granules, PH+, PH-, Non chlorine shock, test strips.... these were in my starter kit and I use them all.

•What basic chemicals would you recommend to a new, first timer, hot tub owner
I have been doing this for 9 months and apart from the above I have bought 'no foam', 'swirl away' for using at water changes, Alkalinity + and a filter cleaning solution.

•What basic advice would you give
Use Chlorine after you get out of the tub and shock once a week. Have two sets of filters and change/clean them every 2 weeks. Test your water balance regularly and adjust as necessary.

•Is there a preference between chlorine or bromide?
First three months I used slow disloving Bromine tablets. Last 6 months used chlorine which I prefer. I didn't like the smell of bromine and it stays on your skin. It also seemed like I was sitting in chemicals. When shocking with none chlorine shock it raised the bromine level really high especially as the water gets older and the bromine bank builds up. It took days to go down to an acceptable level to use. With chlorine the water seems fresher and I prefer the smell. I also use the method of treating the water when I get out. By the time you get back in the chlorine level is very low. When shocking with non chlorine shock you can use straight away. ... its personal choice and there are plenty that get on with Bromine (not Bromide)

•Would you recommend items like  a Spa Frog
Never had one so don't know enough to advise.

•What kind of test mechanism/strips would you recommend?
I only use test strips, but check every couple of days. I know others recommend proper test kits, but they are rare in the UK, but from what I have read they are more accurate. However, I am happy with strips. I just buy the cheapest decent brand off test strips off ebay.

SnowHot

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 12:38:44 am »
its personal choice and there are plenty that get on with Bromine (not Bromide)

Doh! 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 12:38:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42