What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to clear up cloudy water  (Read 9405 times)

Philpug

How to clear up cloudy water
« on: July 24, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »
We're experiencing cloudy water, so I did a search here and found a few helpful threads and am trying the Spa Shock idea from this thread as I type.
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6004.msg69648.html#msg69648

I understand that its easier to maintain spa chemistry if you don't have guests, but we're social people and got the Jacuzzi to enjoy and part of that enjoyment is having friends over.
If we're going to have the Social Hot Tub, what is the best way to avoid cloudy water?
Some things that may help you, help us.
We're using Spa Essentials products from the local Jacuzzi dealer.
We have had the spa for a little over 2 months.  The first two months the water was clear and beautiful until we had company over, which is when we got a lot of foam, but the water was still fairly clear.  After using defoamer from Spa Essentials, the water got cloudy and never was really clear again.  Two weeks ago I drained the tub and refilled it.  It was clear for the first week, until we had company over (again) and now we're chasing cloudy water (again).

I test the tub (at least) every other day, and have not had an issue maintaining the chemistry on the test strips until now.  Now the bromide just won't come up consistently.  Shall I do something significant to bring that up?

Hot Tub Forum

How to clear up cloudy water
« on: July 24, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: How to clear up cloudy water
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »
keeping water crystal clear is fairly easy just remember the following:

keep pH and Alk. in range with an accurate test kit (Taylor K-2006 is a awesome kit available on amazon for around $60) test strips are great for a quick sanitizer check but to balance properly a kit should be used

keep filters clean, especially if you have company over on a regular basis, make sure you are using a filter clean solution to clean filters every month or two, maintenance cleanings by just hosing them off every week or two is also a good idea.  I would also encourage your guests to "re-use" swimsuits and try to avoid getting in the spa with a lot of makeup, lotions, etc on their bodies, maybe offer them your shower to rinse off quick before they get in.

increase sanitizer to keep up with the heavier demand of more bodies, general rule of thumb is 1.5tsp per person per use, however this could be more depending on what your guests are bringing into the tub, so keep an eye on this using test strips until you become comfortable knowing exactly what your demand requires.  With regular use shocking once a week is also recommended

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:00:27 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

Philpug

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 02:17:36 pm »
I've been using strips, but I'll look into the test kit.

Since this is new to me I'd like to clear up some terminology to be sure that I'm doing this correctly.

By Shock, you mean use the product Spa Shock? 

I cleaned the filters thoroughly when I changed the water, and check them weekly, but haven't hosed them off in between draining.  I will give that a shot.

We may need to get a bit more structure when it comes to visitor use.

Edit: Another question about Foam.  Am I correct in the understanding that proper alkaline and calcium levels will help, and avoid using the DeFoamer chemical?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:25:27 pm by Philpug »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »
I've been using strips, but I'll look into the test kit.

Since this is new to me I'd like to clear up some terminology to be sure that I'm doing this correctly.

By Shock, you mean use the product Spa Shock? 

I cleaned the filters thoroughly when I changed the water, and check them weekly, but haven't hosed them off in between draining.  I will give that a shot.

We may need to get a bit more structure when it comes to visitor use.

Edit: Another question about Foam.  Am I correct in the understanding that proper alkaline and calcium levels will help, and avoid using the DeFoamer chemical?

1. yes spa shock, often called: non chlorine shock, mps, renew, etc. different chemical companies may call it different names but one of the main ingredients is Potassium Peroxymonosulfate, shock is an oxidizer and it quickly kills bacteria and oxidizes it into the air and that is why it is recommended to leave your cover open for a couple minutes after you add the product.

2.  their is really no schedule to cleaning filters, just the obvious that with more use you will need more cleanings, just make a point that anytime you are messing around in the yard or garage to pull the filters and give them a good 5 minute cleaning with the hose.

3.  Foam can come from many different things: detergent left in swimsuits, oil based products such as deodorant, hair products, makeup, etc and also high pH and Alk. low calcium or a high TDS rating (total dissolved solids) meaning the water needs to be changed, also not thoroughly rinsing your filters after soaking them in a filter clean solution will also lead to foaming, so make sure your rinsing very thoroughly because a lot of filter cleaner products have soap as a base ingredient.

Philpug

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 01:18:32 pm »
I used Spa Shock twice yesterday and once again after using the tub last night.  The water is clearer, but not as clear as, IMHO, it should be.

Shall I try something else,  or is it time to drain it and start over?
This is a Jacuzzi 335, and we're using bromide based chemicals

goose973

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 05:42:20 pm »
I find that bringing my calcium hardness up to recommended levels helped a lot with the foam. What else helped was the addition of an oil absorbing sponge to the tub. As for cultural controls, I got my wife to lay off the lotion or shower before getting in. Also, try not to get more of your hair in the water than needed-especially true of guests that may not have just showered. All the styling products, natural oils, and even leftover shampoo will hasten foaming. I try to not add extra chemicals to the tub like fragrances, etc., too.

Philpug

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:16:34 am »
We stopped at the Jacuzzi dealer a couple days ago to replenish chemicals, and was advised to keep doing what I was told here(no surprise there). 

I got the Calcium up.  It was a 50ppm and I had to add a lot of calcium to bring it up to the level it needed to be. 

I spa shocked it again, and added some clarifier. 
All better now, and we didn't have to drain it. 

Once again, this forum has been extremely helpful.
Once again, I'm impressed with my local Jacuzzi dealer. 
Thanks.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:35:32 am »
We stopped at the Jacuzzi dealer a couple days ago to replenish chemicals, and was advised to keep doing what I was told here(no surprise there). 

I got the Calcium up.  It was a 50ppm and I had to add a lot of calcium to bring it up to the level it needed to be. 

I spa shocked it again, and added some clarifier. 
All better now, and we didn't have to drain it. 

Once again, this forum has been extremely helpful.
Once again, I'm impressed with my local Jacuzzi dealer. 
Thanks.

don't go nuts with the calcium...125-150ppm is a good range

Philpug

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 01:12:58 pm »
Hmmmm, the Jacuzzi guy said that it should be somewhere around 250, which is where I got it now.

Edit: The water harness is up to around 250ppm. 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 01:36:13 pm »
Hmmmm, the Jacuzzi guy said that it should be somewhere around 250, which is where I got it now.

I just prefer the slightly "softer" soaking experience...also if your water is extremely hard out of the tap its nice to have your calcium lower to avoid elevated levels as your topping it off...nobody likes calcium flaking in the water or buildup on the shell which is a common occurrence if levels are elevated for extended periods of time in my part of the country anyway

Philpug

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:22:11 pm »

I just prefer the slightly "softer" soaking experience...also if your water is extremely hard out of the tap its nice to have your calcium lower to avoid elevated levels as your topping it off...nobody likes calcium flaking in the water or buildup on the shell which is a common occurrence if levels are elevated for extended periods of time in my part of the country anyway

Ahhhh, that makes sense.  Our water is extremely soft, which may also be a reason we've been chasing foam.
This is a learning experience, for sure. 
I really appreciate the wealth of information on this site.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:22:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42