What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: $145 Service Call Cost To Much!  (Read 8877 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
$145 Service Call Cost To Much!
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:35:02 pm »
Dealer wanted $145 to just come out and diagnose the tub. I think that is way to expensive. They should drop their fee to something reasonable like $50 if you have them repair the tub but they don't, they just add it on to the additional repair bill.

I know, they have overhead and have to pay the tech, gas for the van and all that good stuff but $145 just to show up...

I am going to stop fixing peoples computers for free! $50 minimum from now on just to look at it!

Hot Tub Forum

$145 Service Call Cost To Much!
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:35:02 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: $145 Service Call Cost To Much!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 02:31:59 pm »
I bet if you bring the spa into their shop they'll drop the rate.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:37:38 pm »
That's funny Doc, but I have to agree, $145.00 to just show up? That's crazy!  So now that you are out of warranty, you can call any spa repair service you want to right? I would definitely shop around next time
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »
Dealer wanted $145 to just come out and diagnose the tub. I think that is way to expensive. They should drop their fee to something reasonable like $50 if you have them repair the tub but they don't, they just add it on to the additional repair bill.

I know, they have overhead and have to pay the tech, gas for the van and all that good stuff but $145 just to show up...

I am going to stop fixing peoples computers for free! $50 minimum from now on just to look at it!

Is that just to show up or does that include a certain amount of labor in it?

You said on another thread that the total cost was $245 which I assume to be travel fee, the board and labor. Are you saying the board and labor were only $100 combined? Or was the labor maybe included in that $145 "show up" fee and the board accounts for the rest? Did they break that down for you?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:04:27 pm »

That's exactly the point! They kind of got you don't they? And if they took my spa back to their shop I would have not been upset at the charge.

@Bonibelle - I did call an independent repair person who was able to show up the same day. The independent wanted $100 for the service call so I saved $45 just on the call.

@ Spatech_tuo  - Both the independent and the dealer included showing up and 1hr of diagnostic with their fee. The board was $145, so total repair was $245.

I would have probably gone with the dealer but they could not come out till Thursday and I was so frustrated that I wanted it looked at ASAP. However, the independent had to order the board so the tub wont be fixed till Wednesday. I saved $45 and will have the tub running one day earlier.

I have always supported my local dealer by buying all my supplies and filters from them and they are very nice but I have been going through this rough patch that every time I turn around, somebody has their hand in my pocket for hundreds! I had to try and save a few bucks.

IMHO, Hot Springs should warranty all components on their tubs for 10 years not 5. We all know that Hot Springs spas cost a fortune. I have had two control panels replaced under warranty and have had the diverter-valves worked on seven times during warranty. The diverter system they used on the 2005 models is not good. They keep coming disconnected from the handle or something.

Oh well, hopefully I can go another five years without a problem! I do need to replace the cover within the next year, it's getting pretty heavy.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:20:22 pm by drober30 »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:04 pm »

That's exactly the point! They kind of got you don't they? And if they took my spa back to their shop I would have not been upset at the charge.

@Bonibelle - I did call an independent repair person who was able to show up the same day. The independent wanted $100 for the service call so I saved $45 just on the call.

@ Spatech_tuo  - Both the independent and the dealer included showing up and 1hr of diagnostic with their fee. The board was $145, so total repair was $245.

I would have probably gone with the dealer but they could not come out till Thursday and I was so frustrated that I wanted it looked at ASAP. However, the independent had to order the board so the tub wont be fixed till Wednesday. I saved $45 and will have the tub running one day earlier.

I have always supported my local dealer by buying all my supplies and filters from them and they are very nice but I have been going through this rough patch that every time I turn around, somebody has their hand in my pocket for hundreds! I had to try and save a few bucks.

IMHO, Hot Springs should warranty all components on their tubs for 10 years not 5. We all know that Hot Springs spas cost a fortune. I have had two control panels replaced under warranty and have had the diverter-valves worked on seven times during warranty. The diverter system they used on the 2005 models is not good. They keep coming disconnected from the handle or something.

Oh well, hopefully I can go another five years without a problem! I do need to replace the cover within the next year, it's getting pretty heavy.

You mentioned that you support the local dealer though buying chemicals and filters from them but you did not claim that you also bought the tub from them (which I think you would have pointed out had you done so).  If you had bought the tub, perhaps they would not even charge you for a call but I can understand them "making their $ somewhere" if you did NOT buy it from them originally (and in this case that "somewhere" appears to be in the service calls).

I use to charge people $75 to come look at their computer problems and that would cover the first hour of the visit.  If the repair was going to take longer, I billed them by the hour.  In some cases, I told them "You would be better off buying a new computer..." as it was simply the right thing to do and in other cases, people paid me $300 to "salvage" an old one (486 processor) so you never know what people will prefer.  Instead, I found a corporation that is willing to pay for unique expertise (IMS/VoIP skills) and have left the PC repair to the geek squads and others.  If there was a large calling for hot tub repair, you might see the costs go down but you have to face the fact that hot tubs are a "boutique" business and a luxury item.  You wouldn't take your Maserati to a local "quickie oil change" place, would you?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:32:45 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 02:10:30 am »
Around here, $90 gets you the first 1/2 hour...then $120 per hour after that.

1 hour = $150
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:18:27 am »
@ ndabunka- I did buy my tub from them. Every other point you make is right on. You mention 486 processor and in those days computers were not $400 for a replacement and us computer geeks were much fewer.

@ Dr. Spa- I like the $90 or half hour option. It took the tech 5 minutes to see my board was bad.

Now that's its the next day, I still think $145 for a service call is to high but $250 to get my tub running is not a bad outcome.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:20:51 am by drober30 »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 07:30:01 am »

Now, you getting into my area. Most computer companies will not send a person to your house for less than $100.  I have a special lower rate only for a group of senior citizens that belong to a certain organization. $150 as a minimum for warranty work? Is that what your saying? 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 10:14:54 am »
A good spa tech is familiar with Plumbing, Electrical, Electronics, Hydraulics and even Hygiene...Other than an HVAC tech I'm not sure many other technicians deal with so many areas and need to be that rounded.

A computer tech will rarely cause health, injury or catastrophic damage to your house if he screws up...a spa tech can.

How well trained do you think the guy dealing with all the safety features on a system that your kids could get hurt or sick in should be and what should his time be worth?

Airplane mechanics make a lot more money than a bicycle tech but they deal with a whole lot more and frankly I want the best fixing the plane I'm flying in....

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 01:39:57 pm »
A good spa tech is familiar with Plumbing, Electrical, Electronics, Hydraulics and even Hygiene...Other than an HVAC tech I'm not sure many other technicians deal with so many areas and need to be that rounded.

A computer tech will rarely cause health, injury or catastrophic damage to your house if he screws up...a spa tech can.

How well trained do you think the guy dealing with all the safety features on a system that your kids could get hurt or sick in should be and what should his time be worth?

Airplane mechanics make a lot more money than a bicycle tech but they deal with a whole lot more and frankly I want the best fixing the plane I'm flying in....

True, but I don't want my kids training wheels coming off either! ;D

Just received a call and part is being installed today!

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 01:42:05 pm »

Now, you getting into my area. Most computer companies will not send a person to your house for less than $100.  I have a special lower rate only for a group of senior citizens that belong to a certain organization. $150 as a minimum for warranty work? Is that what your saying? 

More along the lines of co-workers and friends of friends. I have a hard time accepting money (I'm trying to change), I usually say "that's OK" as long as parts are not needed.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 01:54:56 pm »

Where were you when this was being hashed out yesterday? Actually his was non-warranty (just past the warranty date) and the dealer was charging $145 for travel plus diagnosis with 1 hr labor (from what I read). If that had just been for travel that would surely be high but with the hour added in its really not unrealistic. An independent guy was a little cheaper, $100.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 07:50:49 am »
This kind of all goes back to who, in this economy, can afford to be a hot tub owner? Tubs are expensive, the set up is expensive, and with energy rates increasing (at least mine will in 2011 because of deregulation) the cost to run the tub is expensive, no matter how well insulated. So top that off with expensive repair costs... It is truly a luxury item, more now than ever. I'm glad that I got my tub when I did because I probably would not be able to buy one today.  :-\
Support your dealer so they can support you!

fridaydog

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 09:35:10 am »
Competition usually sets the price.  I expect to pay $100+ for a service call. As a business owner myself $50 to come out and do anything would lose money. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 09:35:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42