What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Example of real-world electrical cost  (Read 13974 times)

zroger73

Example of real-world electrical cost
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:48:56 am »
12 months prior to installing my 2008 HotSpring Sovereign II, I used 11,733 KWH. 12 months following installation, I used 13,937 KWH - an increase of 2,164 KWH. Based on the last 36 months, my electricity cost averaged $0.08/KWH.

So, the real-world data is...

I use my hot tub about 45-60 minutes 2 or 3 times per week - more during the winter, less during the summer. Considering this data, my hot tub has increased my electric bill an average of $14.10 per month here in Northeast Texas.
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Hot Tub Forum

Example of real-world electrical cost
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:48:56 am »

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
Re: Example of real-world electrical cost
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:13:59 pm »
If you don't mind I will print that post.
We will hook up a meter to the 110V models to show customers how little HotSpring Spas cost to run.
Having testimonials helps a lot also.

Here's wishing you many happy decades of soaking in your HotSpring! Mine is a 1991 Classic.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

zroger73

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:29:51 pm »
I don't mind at all. I also elaborated a bit more on a similar post over at poolspaforum.com by stating that part of that increase may also be due to a hotter summer, colder winter, or lifestyle changes, but I'm confident that number is pretty close to reality.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:24:57 pm »
Nothing against HS but just about all the top brands will be the same. HS does not an advantage over the industry on electrical usage.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Peteyboy

• 1991 HotSpring Classic - Tech since 1987
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:48:34 pm »
Nothing against HS but just about all the top brands will be the same. HS does not an advantage over the industry on electrical usage.

I disagree...Sorry - maybe some top brands. We've sold Sundance, Jacuzzi, Caldera & HotSpring. As far as those brands are concerned IMO HotSpring is considerably more efficient.
spas are electrical devices and can be dangerous to repair - please use this advice at your own risk

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:22:51 pm »

I disagree...Sorry - maybe some top brands. We've sold Sundance, Jacuzzi, Caldera & HotSpring. As far as those brands are concerned IMO HotSpring is considerably more efficient.

Those numbers fall right about in line with our Bullfrog, so I have to agree with Gary that most of the better tubs out there will use roughly the same amount of electricity
Bullfrog 451

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:10:47 pm »
OK, wait...So Canada you are saying your tub in Canada is using the same electric as a tub in Texas?  While none of this proves anything since we have none of the parameters...Just the difference in winter temperatures make me wonder.... :-\  Is the conclusion of this data collection that a Hot Springs tub in Texas is as efficient as a Bull Frog in Canada???
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:03 pm »
12 months prior to installing my 2008 HotSpring Sovereign II, I used 11,733 KWH. 12 months following installation, I used 13,937 KWH - an increase of 2,164 KWH. Based on the last 36 months, my electricity cost averaged $0.08/KWH.

I use my hot tub about 45-60 minutes 2 or 3 times per week - more during the winter, less during the summer. Considering this data, my hot tub has increased my electric bill an average of $14.10 per month here in Northeast Texas.

Sorry but  ::)  at this post. 

zroger73

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 09:05:20 am »

That comes across as a tad bit rude and offensive to me, but maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet this morning. :)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 10:35:55 am »
Just curious about your winter temperatures, Zroger....I don't think Jim meant anything by his comment..maybe just that your numbers look great, but  there really isn't any standard test that WE can use to compare brands and efficiency. Maybe someone can...but I don't think we can. So your numbers are great and you should be very pleased.

I have had success running my tub in economy mode all winter long and will plan on doing that this winter as well....as long as we don't slide into a deep freeze.  :o I know my tub is more expensive to run because my electric costs are almost double what yours are per KWH!

I find it interesting though that Canada gets similar results in the cold of Canadian winters.  ;)

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 11:41:04 am »

Unless you separate out the spa from everything else and meter it on its own there is no way to be exact about what the spa is costing you but what you've shown is a good indicator and your spa is well insulated so there's no surprise. Keep enjoying!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

zroger73

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 04:03:02 pm »
Unless you separate out the spa from everything else and meter it on its own there is no way to be exact about what the spa is costing you but what you've shown is a good indicator and your spa is well insulated so there's no surprise. Keep enjoying!

I completely understand that it's not a perfect number and is why I further elaborated that there could be other factors as well. I didn't express an opinion as to whether my results appeared "cheap" or "expensive". I have a gas furnace, so the majority of my electricity is consumed by cooling, drying clothes, cooking, and the typical assortment of electrical appliances - factors that in retrospect had little, if any, changes to their normal usage patterns during the two-year period I analyzed (except for the hot tub). I haven't downloaded recorded historical climate data to determine what temperature differences existed between the pre-spa period and the post-spa period, but the average temperatures during those two periods were close enough. The primary purpose of my post was to give a new potential spa owner or curious existing owner an idea about what to expect in their utility bill if they live in Northeast Texas or a similar climate. :)

In Canada eh

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 05:28:43 pm »
OK, wait...So Canada you are saying your tub in Canada is using the same electric as a tub in Texas?  While none of this proves anything since we have none of the parameters...Just the difference in winter temperatures make me wonder.... :-\  Is the conclusion of this data collection that a Hot Springs tub in Texas is as efficient as a Bull Frog in Canada???

Boni

I sat down after the first year of tub ownership and figured out the average increase during the first year.  The winter months our tub was higher then that but the average was about $16.

I have no idea about the difference in cost per kilowatt between Ontario and Texas but I will say I have been very happy with the energy efficiency of our tub.

Also keep in mind I am in Southern Ontario  essentially Detroit so its not like I live in Cold Lake Alberta :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 05:31:58 pm by In Canada eh »
Bullfrog 451

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 05:52:41 pm »
I have relatives in Detroit. It's colder than heck there in the winter. I'm sure chas and brook can back me up on this :-)

One thing people frequently overlook, is things they've done to generally REDUCE their overall electric costs. I remember one guy the got rid of the extra refrigerator in his garage about te same time he got the spa. Thought the spa was only costing him abut $25 a month...he didn't take into consideration that the beat up old fridge could have been costing as much as $75 a month. So, while his monthly bill may have only increased $25, the spa was actually running $100.

And there's a lots more than just old refrigerators...Kids going to collage, or leaving home, replacing some older or not so old appliance(s) )that you may not even had consider to be energy hogs)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 06:38:53 pm »

That comes across as a tad bit rude and offensive to me, but maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet this morning. :)

Didn't mean to offend and I was in a hurry,so sorry!  :)  There is just so many more variables to look at and consider.  I have no doubt the HS spa is efficient but not much more than a lot of other quality spas out there. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 06:38:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42