What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Example of real-world electrical cost  (Read 13968 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Example of real-world electrical cost
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 06:48:11 pm »
Oh Doc,  You just reminded me of my big electric HOG...and he is at college now. My son used to sit under the hair dryer for about 15 minutes drying his hair and his body every morning before school.  Bet that's enough electric to pay for my tub..haha
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 06:48:11 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 06:52:50 pm »
 My son is 8 almost 9 he has discovered how nice a hot shower feels to the point he runs the hot water out  >:(   Its not gonna fly for long.  ;D

In Canada eh

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 07:00:04 pm »

And there's a lots more than just old refrigerators...Kids going to collage, or leaving home, replacing some older or not so old appliance(s) )that you may not even had consider to be energy hogs)

That's just it Doc.

I figured out the cost over that first year because the tub was our major purchase for that year.  Nothing else changed at all, the only difference was the tub and maybe some new CFL light bulbs

I think it is pretty accurate
Bullfrog 451

In Canada eh

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 07:04:46 pm »
It's colder than heck there in the winter. I'm sure chas and brook can back me up on this :-)

Now I think Brooke mentioned almost moving to Canada at one point, but I'm sure Chas thinks everything below 50 degrees is cold. :D

Bullfrog 451

zroger73

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25:32 pm »
Now I think Brooke mentioned almost moving to Canada at one point, but I'm sure Chas thinks everything below 50 degrees is cold. :D

The average temperature where I'm at in Texas I believe is 66 degrees. Winters normally get down into the 30s at night and Summers usually 90s to 100s. Depending on whether my body is running hot or cold, I usually find anything below 60 to 70 to be "too cold". I have no upper temperature limit. The only snow I usually see is on TV. I'd never make it up North. ;)
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 07:32:44 pm »
  Didn't mean to offend and I was in a hurry,so sorry!  :)  There is just so many more variables to look at and consider.  I have no doubt the HS spa is efficient but not much more than a lot of other quality spas out there. 

Whatever ZRoger stated obviously isn't meant to be a statment about Bullfrog, Jacuzzi or any other full foam spa as he's just stating what he's seeing. In reality all full foam spas are not necessarily insulated equally and Hot Springs will do better than most full foamers because it uses multiple density foams in a layering fashion whereas most full foams are filled with just lighter (˝#) density foam but in the end all full foam spas should insulate well.

It would be nice if some day spas incorporated energy meters in their controls so you could go to your screen and see what you're using.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

zroger73

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 07:53:05 pm »
I would like to use a data logger to record ambient temperature, water temperature, and energy consumption, then use this data to calculate actual heat loss. I have access to this equipment at my job, but I don't think they would appreciate it if I borrowed the stuff for 12 months.  ;D

In Canada eh

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 10:41:25 pm »
I would like to use a data logger to record ambient temperature, water temperature, and energy consumption, then use this data to calculate actual heat loss. I have access to this equipment at my job, but I don't think they would appreciate it if I borrowed the stuff for 12 months.  ;D

Same here Roger, my 12 month average was a very crude measurement.  Actually it was comparing one month usage to the same period one year prior.  Hardly exact but like I said I am pleasantly surprised by my tubs power usage

For what it's worth you have to travel up north to see snow at least once in your life.  My wife's best friends daughter who was born and raised in Florida saw snow for the first time last year.  She was amazed and LOVED it, she turned into a suicidal maniac on a toboggan :D
Bullfrog 451

Brookenstein

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 04:04:39 am »
2 shout-outs in one post it feels like I never left!!!!  :-)

I have no idea what my tub costs me to run... but I'll tell ya my old house vs my new house... holy heck.  Old house 1986 single story 1227 sq ft single pane windows, new house 2005 2117 sq ft 2 story.  My average summer electric bill in the old house was over $300 some as high as $450 (this is for AC obviously) in this house I haven't had a bill over $100.  BTW they are only 20 minutes from each other.  Gas bill in summer is running me $9.  Winter bill got as high as $30 I think. I think winter electric was about $60.  Oh and we had gotten rid of the 2nd fridge at the old house... but have one here.   :)

I've gotten a bit too acclimated with the California temps... I was camping with the Scouts a couple weeks ago and I was freezing.  I made some comment about it being in the 50s and everyone was like its still 80.  I thought no way.  I went grabbed a sweatshirt to go with my shorts, came back they had pulled out their iPhone to prove to me it was indeed 80.  But compared to 100+ with the sun shining I was freezing, goosebumps and all.

zroger73

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 08:43:02 am »
I can't imagine having an electric bill in the hundreds of dollars. My 1,300 sq. ft. brick house was built in 1963 with single-pane windows (storm windows on one bedroom). The bats of insulation in the attic seem to have shrank over time and don't fit tightly between rafters. My averaged plans run $97/mo. for electricity and $66/mo. for gas. Electricity is most likely going to increase about 25% soon, however, after having cheap rates contractually frozen for years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 08:43:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42