What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 27298 times)

thatbpguy

« on: January 03, 2008, 10:25:49 pm »
Got a surprise $3,000 bonus at work and the wife & I felt we would buy a small 4-person hot tub. The one and only thing I know about hot tubs is that I like sitting in them. We can probably add about $400 and that really isn't a lot of money for a spa. We also determined not to buy one off the internet for a host of reasons. We don't need a lot of fancy jets as we just like to sit & soak, so 8+ jets will be fine. What we do want is a reliable hot tub. This weekend we're going on our initial fact finding mission.

A couple of ones we found in our price range is the Softub (large one), DreamMaker (Eclipse, X-100...) and Hot Springs Solana.

Any thoughts on these or other brands? General advice?

Hot Tub Forum

« on: January 03, 2008, 10:25:49 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 12:21:13 am »
I would look at a Nordic for the money you can get what your after also Free flow would fit that budget. I would stay away from the Soft tub and the dream maker, neither spa actually has a heater and only runs a single speed pump that recaptures the heat from the motor to heat your spa.

Scaramanga

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:27:40 am »
The Solana RX would be the best investment for you're $3400 providing one could be had at that price.  Anything else in that price range will be taking up space ina landfill within 5 years.

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:45:26 am »
I would also consider looking used.  You can sometimes find a great deal with someone who is moving or adding a pool and trying to sell a barely used (premium) tub for pretty cheap.  Back in 05 I was looking to spend about the same amount as you and spent about 6 months until the right tub fell in my lap.  If you've got cash on hand its amazing some of the deals you can find (once you know what you are looking for).  I think my brother paid $2500 for a year or so old Jacuzzi 345 about a year ago.  His local dealer still had that model year on sale for I wanna say 6ish... so he made out great.

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 10:50:00 am »
In addition to the Solana RX, I'd look at the SX.  It is a much more comfortable spa than the RX.

One thing you will need to keep in mind is you will probably need to up your budget a bit.  Even though you are looking for a small spa without a lot of features, you're quality brands are going to run in the $4-$5K range.

Solana spas are an exceptional value and are made by Hot Spring.

You might also look at some of the small Marquis spas.  Again, good quality and some can be had for a reasonable price.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Lars

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 11:21:40 am »
I would also consider looking used.  You can sometimes find a great deal with someone who is moving or adding a pool and trying to sell a barely used (premium) tub for pretty cheap.  Back in 05 I was looking to spend about the same amount as you and spent about 6 months until the right tub fell in my lap.  If you've got cash on hand its amazing some of the deals you can find (once you know what you are looking for).  I think my brother paid $2500 for a year or so old Jacuzzi 345 about a year ago.  His local dealer still had that model year on sale for I wanna say 6ish... so he made out great.

Wot she said.

A quick look on Craig's List found several quality tubs in your price range.  Keep in mind you'll need to reserve some cash to hook up the electric and prepare the site where you will be putting the tub.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:24:44 pm »
thatbpguy......what town do you live in?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 01:28:33 pm »
The Solana RX would be the best investment for you're $3400 providing one could be had at that price.  Anything else in that price range will be taking up space ina landfill within 5 years.

Not exactly true!!   We have a ton of Freeflows out there going on 6 years, that are running strong.  

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 01:47:39 pm »

This post has more in common with manure than it does credible advice. The Solana is a fine choice but not the only. Nordics are very well built and Free Flow are also a good functioning spa that is what this person seems to be looking for, simplicity. Todays Nordics use gecko controls, aqua flow pumps, are all pressure treated frames they are solid for the money.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:29:04 pm by Mendocino101 »

thatbpguy

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 01:50:33 pm »

Funny you say this. I started calling dealers and asking for a price range and there were no spas under $4,500. Then I started calling and asked if anything could be done at $3,500 and they all say yes. Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

thatbpguy

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 01:51:36 pm »
thatbpguy......what town do you live in?

Portland, OR. Also, we plan to place the tub in the garage.

cburk0677

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 02:03:55 pm »
Garage??? Say it ain't so. I can't imagine anything more depressing than being in my garage surrounded by mowers, tools, etc and trying to relax under the flourescent lights.

Put the tub outside or at least in a screened in porch.
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

Zep

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 02:10:38 pm »
Be very careful about placing a tub indoors. (click link below)

http://www.nationaljewish.org/news/y2000/news49.aspx

Zep

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 02:14:44 pm »
Portland CraigsList:

8 person Hot Springs Landmark spa

Hot Springs Landmark hot tub, immaculate condition, top of the line model,
27 jets, 24 hr circulation system, moto massage seat, ozonator, huge filter system,
all weather synthetic siding, brand new hard cover, over $8000 new.
$3500 or best offer. Call 503-930-1055

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 02:18:06 pm »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:18:22 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 02:18:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42