What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Having a New Spa Custom built? Pumps, Jets, etc?  (Read 19626 times)

p0opstlnksal0t

Having a New Spa Custom built? Pumps, Jets, etc?
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:34:02 pm »
we have decided to have Accent Spa's build us a custom hot tub. The pricing is great, the warranty is great and this place has a good reputation and reviews. We picked a Marathon Acrylic shell that is 137"x95.5"x44" (without cabinet), Seats 10+ and is 1500 Gallons. Its a monster and more of a party spa like my wife and I wanted. We didnt really like the contoured molded seats in almost all of the spa's we water tested. We actually prefer the bench seating arrangement haha... We really wanted the most stripped down spa that we could find with good hydrotherapy benefits but without all the electronics, circuit boards, and laser shows that all of the other spas produced. Now we will get to design our own with simple on off buttons for the motors and air.

We will have 3x Waterway 5hp pumps and somewhere around 25 (10gpm flow) Waterway mini storm Jets per pump. These pumps flow 250-260gpm so I think 25 jets per pump sounds like a good match. This will put us around 75 water jets total. We will also have a 1.5 hp blower. Does anyone know how many air jets we should run with a 1.5hp blower? For some reason I thought the blower sent air to the water jets where its introduced and produces bubbly water through the water jets? I really show my knowledge of these mechanisms with that last sentence haha. Anyways we go back in shortly to pick the jet locations. It looks like there are a multitude of different thread in storm type jets and bodies to choose from.

I would love to hear suggestions on the design and jet placement and tips on jet styles to pick!

Hot Tub Forum

Having a New Spa Custom built? Pumps, Jets, etc?
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:34:02 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Having a New Spa Custom built? Pumps, Jets, etc?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:43:02 pm »
Are there any options to get bigger jets in the tub. Those mini jets make a lot of people itchy and really aren't all that therapeutic. I've never heard of this brand before so hopefully someone who knows them will chime in

p0opstlnksal0t

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:11:27 pm »
there are the cluster, mini, and poly jets I can choose from. Poly looks to be the biggest
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:16:02 pm by p0opstlnksal0t »

p0opstlnksal0t

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:26:42 pm »
229-1510   Adj. Cluster Storm   Directional   2 ¼”
229-1530   Adj. Cluster Storm   Fixed Twin   2 ¼”
229-0100   Adj. Cluster Storm   Rifled   2 ¼”
229-9700   Adj. Cluster Storm   Shower   2 ¼”
229-7900   Mini-Storm   Directional   3″
229-7910   Mini-Storm   Roto   3″
229-7940   Mini-Storm   Twin Roto   3″
229-7810   Mini-Storm   Massage   3″
229-8350   Mini-Storm   Galaxy   3″
229-8380   Mini-Storm   Multi-Massage   3″
229-8040   Poly Storm   Directional   3 3/8″
229-8000   Poly Storm   Roto   3 3/8″
229-8130   Poly Storm   Twin Roto   3 3/8″
229-8020   Poly Storm   Massage   3 3/8″
229-8180   Poly Storm   Galaxy   3 3/8″
229-8520   Poly Storm   Galaxy Massage   3 3/8″
229-8280   Poly Storm   Multi-Massage   3 3/8″

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:07:22 pm »
 3@ 5hp pumps over kill,  go with 2.   Skip the blower, and good luck with it..   

p0opstlnksal0t

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 04:18:21 pm »
More pics of the shell we are getting.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The only reason I had them add another pump (originally 2 pumps) was because of similar sized tubs running 3 pumps as well...

p0opstlnksal0t

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:30:12 pm »
Anyone have any suggestions for colors? We originally picked black cabinet with almond/white cover.... Im thinking with the Carribean blue these colors may not be ideal. The only reason we went with the white cover was due to constant sun and heat exposure in Houston, Tx. I figured it would hold up the best...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »
More pics of the shell we are getting.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The only reason I had them add another pump (originally 2 pumps) was because of similar sized tubs running 3 pumps as well...

Those spas and jets are designed for what the pump puts out.      Hey it will either work or it won't or your going to create a lot of back pressure at the manifolds and wet ends.   What have you got for filtration size? 

p0opstlnksal0t

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:09 pm »
Coast Mirage: 65 Jet Model - 3x 5HP Xtreme Super Flow Pumps

Artesian Bimini: 72 Jets 2x 6 BHP pumps, 1x 4.8 BHP pump

Arctic Spa Ocean Epic: 61 Jets 5 pumps (I think at least one pump is for swim-spa)

D1 Serena Bay: 84 jets  1 x 3.6/(2.0) HP Dual Speed Pump and 2 x 3.6/(2.0) HP Single Speed Pumps. 2 x Circulation Pumps

Thats just from quick google-fu

What do I need to ask Accents about the filtration? Should I have a bypass? is there a recommended plumbing size I need to bring up? I figured the pumps would all have their own intakes and discharges and the filter setup would just siphon/bypass off of one of the 3 main pumps? They are also throwing in an Ozonator so I can use less chems...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 06:25:16 pm »
One of the hardest parts of design in a portable tub is the jet "feel." To say 10 GPM feels good from that jet is hard unless you run that jet at several flows and test the feel. Those are adjustable at the ring of the jet right? If you start out small in jet size you can get bigger in the same hole later if you decide to try for some designed hydrotherapy. Get the best gaskets you can get and make sure all mating surfaces are clean and smooth. Try and make them easy to remove down the road. And mention that to your supplier.

Even harder to figure out is that everyone has a different "feel" that's preferable.

Advantage Portable Hot Tub.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 07:23:28 pm »

Arctic Spa Ocean Epic: 61 Jets 5 pumps (I think at least one pump is for swim-spa)

D1 Serena Bay: 84 jets  1 x 3.6/(2.0) HP Dual Speed Pump and 2 x 3.6/(2.0) HP Single Speed Pumps. 2 x Circulation Pumps

What do I need to ask Accents about the filtration? Should I have a bypass? is there a recommended plumbing size I need to bring up? I figured the pumps would all have their own intakes and discharges and the filter setup would just siphon/bypass off of one of the 3 main pumps? They are also throwing in an Ozonator so I can use less chems...

Yes I know all about those spa's.  And they were designed by company's that spend a lot of money designing them and testing what will and will not work.    Curious what these guys are charging you to build you a spa?  You also mentioned no circuit board, how do you plan to control this spa/heat it?   And no need to be insulting, you came here asking questions you might as well be "more" informed on what your buying/building.    What are they using for backing on the shell, you putting this in the ground then back filling or dropping it in a deck? 

Filtration wise, should be no smaller than say a 50 sqft bigger if they can do it. That pump should be a 2 speed and 1/2 by-passed to a suction with a check valve.  The other two should probably have at least 2 suctions per pump VGB compliant type screens. 

p0opstlnksal0t

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 09:03:57 pm »

One of the hardest parts of design in a portable tub is the jet "feel." To say 10 GPM feels good from that jet is hard unless you run that jet at several flows and test the feel. Those are adjustable at the ring of the jet right? If you start out small in jet size you can get bigger in the same hole later if you decide to try for some designed hydrotherapy. Get the best gaskets you can get and make sure awell mating surfaces are clean and smooth. Try and make them easy to remove down the road. And mention that to your supplier.

Even harder to figure out is that everyone has a different "feel" that's preferable.

Advantage Portable Hot Tub.

Thanks for the info. They have another custom tub running a similar pump/jet config I may wet test. I think there are 6 or 7 variation of diffuser types and I believe they are adjustable at the ring

Yes I know all about those spa's.  And they were designed by company's that spend a lot of money designing them and testing what will and will not work.    Curious what these guys are charging you to build you a spa?  You also mentioned no circuit board, how do you plan to control this spa/heat it?   And no need to be insulting, you came here asking questions you might as well be "more" informed on what your buying/building.    What are they using for backing on the shell, you putting this in the ground then back filling or dropping it in a deck? 

Filtration wise, should be no smaller than say a 50 sqft bigger if they can do it. That pump should be a 2 speed and 1/2 by-passed to a suction with a check valve.  The other two should probably have at least 2 suctions per pump VGB compliant type screens.

Please forgive my absent minded posting etiquette.  I meant no disrespect in the way I listed those previous tubs and their pump make ups. I merely ppointed to that to show why i had personally chosen for them to add another pump making it 3 pumps total. If it is better to have only 2 then I'm all for it haha.

This will be in a cabinet sitting on top of a Concrete slab. IT looks like it has some sort of thick coating on the underside of it but I will ask more specifics. I think it will have at least a 50sq ft filter but I do not know about the bypass. All of this information is golden thanks you guys!

Sorry it uses a heater temp control knob
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:18:02 pm by p0opstlnksal0t »

p0opstlnksal0t

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 09:12:41 pm »
It's 10k for the tub with 2 motors and a blower 65 jets (any combo of water/air). I added another pump and more jets for another 1000.00

p0opstlnksal0t

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 09:54:25 pm »
Looks like a party I'd like to be invited to.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 09:54:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42