What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mineral Stick  (Read 7194 times)

gmdodt

Re: Mineral Stick
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 06:59:06 pm »
My bromine levels are always right where spa frog says they should be..so how could that be true? Established an initial reserve..shock once every week or two and the level stays at about 1 or a lil higher

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 06:59:06 pm »

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 12:54:06 pm »
My bromine levels are always right where spa frog says they should be..so how could that be true? Established an initial reserve..shock once every week or two and the level stays at about 1 or a lil higher

First off- I apologize.  I discussed @ease and didn't realize you're asking a different question for Spa Frog.  Its important for me to note that Spa Frog and @ease are two different mineral systems from the same parent company (King Technology). 

Thus:  If you're talking about Spa Frog, you're talking about a mineral system that is Bromine-based.  If you're talking about @ease, you're talking about a system that is chlorine-based.  Thus the question is:  Which one are you on?  From there, what is the level supposed to be from the manufacturer?  For instance, any generic test strip for, say, chlorine systems may want your chlorine to be at 1-4ppm.  But if you're on a mineral system, you may only need 1ppm or even less.  So the strip may say up to 4ppm, but its a generic test strip, whereas Nature 2 or @ease may call for significantly less.  You can use generic test strips, no doubt, but you need to know that their "OK" range may not be what is needed for your system.

Does this make sense? 

Additionally- Your usage may also play into how much of your sanitizer is being eaten up, and thus what levels are left in your water.  Additionally- It never hurts to take your water to a pool/spa store for a second opinion.  This helps check to see if your strips are bad or have somehow become compromised.

Other issues that may be in play:  How old is your water?  Does it need to be changed?  High TDS levels can cause your specific issue.  Furthermore, your cartridges could just be old.  The mineral side only lasts 3-4 months and the bromine side or chlorine side can only last a month usually.  If they sat dry they usually can go bad. 

Let me know about these questions and that can further clarify your situation for better answers from forum members.

EDIT:  Grammatical Errors Were Corrected
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:16:28 pm by The Wizard of Spas »

gmdodt

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 02:57:45 pm »
I currently use the spa frog bromine cartridges which I have manually refilled along with the spa frog mineral cartridge. They say to keep the bronine level around 1 as long as using the mineral system, so that's what I do. Only add stuff for the occasional shock and a little bit each time I use the tub. I've though about converting to a chlorine base regime because I've had soon issues, I just haven't nailed down the root cause yet which is why I haven't switched.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 03:43:29 pm »
I'd increase the amount of Oxidizing Shock (MPS) used weekly.  This will increase the effectiveness of both the bromine and silver that are currently in your tub.  The amount of shock needed is relative:  Variables include how many people are in the tub per use, how long you're in there, and how many days a week you're in it.

The rash / irritation evolves from sanitizer levels not equating to the usage.  In most cases, the recommended sanitizer levels will suffice.  However, if the usage is higher than average, a higher sanitizer level may be required.  But first I'd advise you increasing your shock amounts and frequency for a spell.

Sorry if this is convoluted.  It just takes a lot of info and data to understand both the issue at hand and the variables involved.  I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

gmdodt

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 04:56:18 pm »
I appreciate it.  I'll try doing that.  I do add a tablespoon of MPS (OxySpa) after each use (or chlorine sometimes)...in addition to shocking.  The water does seem crystal clear, though I know thats not all telling.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 04:56:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42