What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Air blowers  (Read 14977 times)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Air blowers
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2004, 06:50:39 pm »
The dry ice injectors do a good job at that too.

Can I borrow yours?
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2004, 06:50:39 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2004, 08:03:06 pm »
What is wrong with an air blower during summer time? Seems like a good way to cool down the water if it is getting over heated by sun?

My idea would be to set the temp where you like it in the first place. During a heat wave, I turn my spa down to about 97 to 98 - it feels very cool and refreshing. Cooler than that actually feels cold if you stay in very long.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2004, 10:27:12 am »
Ok, I did the test this morning.  Air temperature was just under 40 degrees.  Starting water temperature was 100.  Ran the blower for one 20 minute cycle, and ended with a 97 degree reading.  
Heater was off the entire time, as was the cover.  

Brewman
Brewman

Dr_Eclat

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2004, 10:51:44 am »
OK, a possibly good "control" test would be to start at 100, leave the cover off, and don't start up the spa. Check temp in 20 minutes.

Other tests might be to start at 100, set the thermostat so low that the heater will not come on and leave the blower off:

Run the spa on the primary pump at low speed for 20  minutes.

Then at high speed for the third test.

I have done these tests on my TP spa and will provide the results if anyone cares.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 11:03:14 am by Dr_Eclat »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2004, 11:15:03 am »
Ok, I did the test this morning.  Air temperature was just under 40 degrees.  Starting water temperature was 100.  Ran the blower for one 20 minute cycle, and ended with a 97 degree reading.  
 Heater was off the entire time, as was the cover.  

Brewman
Thanks! You didn't mention: were you able to enjoy your tub during this experiment?

Well, that's not as bad as I expected. But three degrees in 20 minutes would equal 9 degrees an hour - I know that is a very rough extension on a single test with many unknown variables. That much would make me want to get out at about 15 minutes.

BTW, that is about the rate at which most 220 spas heat: roughly nine or ten degrees an hour. So your tub could most likely keep at the set temp if the heater was allowed to cycle as needed.

But the amount of energy used would be:
6000 watt heater+circ pump+blower motor+jets if running X the length of time used. Also, if there was an extra degree lost per 20 minutes, perhpas due to more users, a bit of breeze, or even colder temps than you mentioned, you would have to allow for the heater to run a bit after the blower stops to catch up. I'm going to do the same thing on my Vista: lid open, all jets on (with air injection) and I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm curious - is your spa capable of heating when the blower is on or does the control system lock it out?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2004, 11:31:24 am »
Sorry, ran out of time, and I can't find my real acurrate thermometer anyway. I just got things going and I have to run.

I'll try again tonight, or early tomorrow.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2004, 11:40:07 am »
No, I didn't get to use the spa this morning during the test.  I was on my way to work (%$@*#@!!) and only had about 30 minutes to spare.  

But we did get to enjoy the tub last night; thanks for asking!

I believe the heater will kick in when both pumps are running and the blower is on.  I have the Optima running with the 60 amp breaker.   We don't often run the blower at the same time the 2 pumps are cranking at full speed, but I'm thinking the heat would stay on.  
I'll have to try that this evening if we can get some soak time in.

Dr. Eclat has some good suggestions.  It would have been interesting to know what the heat loss would have been using those suggested control tests for comparison purposes.  

The wind was a bit nippy during the test, I'm sure that affected the heat loss as well.

Brewman

Brewman

knowsabit

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2004, 12:38:58 pm »
I've owned tubs with and without blowers (optima being one of them).  the question should not be about cooling the water but wether or not it offers any hydrotheraputic(sp?) benefit.  IMO the blower offers absolutely no , none, zero, zilch therapy benefit.  it looks impressive but that's it.

The optima would be just as good a tub without the blower, the only time I used mine was to blow out the blower lines just in case something was growing in there.

Oh, wet test too... ;D

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2004, 01:02:26 pm »
My old Coleman had a blower and air injectors, My new Coleman doesn't. We don't miss it.

I do however have the ability to add air pressure to the jets on both speeds, on all three pumps. We enjoy the therapy options this gives us.

Spahappy :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 01:03:17 pm by spahappy »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2004, 02:08:30 pm »
I've owned tubs with and without blowers (optima being one of them).  the question should not be about cooling the water but wether or not it offers any hydrotheraputic(sp?) benefit.  IMO the blower offers absolutely no , none, zero, zilch therapy benefit.  it looks impressive but that's it.

The optima would be just as good a tub without the blower, the only time I used mine was to blow out the blower lines just in case something was growing in there.

Oh, wet test too... ;D

The original poster's question was concerning the  blower's affect on water temperature.  

Blowers, waterfalls, color switching lites, stereos, TV's, and the like all do not add any theraputic value to the spa, but they can add enjoyment.  Which from a certain point of view can be theraputic, as well as adding a little fun to the experience.  
no right or wrong here, just personal preference.
Brewman
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:09:38 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2004, 02:25:06 pm »
I agree with brewman.  I don't believe the air blower on an Optima is meant for therapy just as a waterfall does not give real therapy, but many people like and enjoy them.  The air blower is just another way to enjoy the spa.  I use mine when there are a lot of people in the tub at the same time, generally sipping on refreshments and enjoying each others company.  I usually run the whirlpool jets on low along with it.  It gives relaxing water movement and adds to the social atmosphere.  I do not use the blower if I am in the tub alone for therapy.  I also enjoy using the scents with the blower.  Though not very strong, it does add fragrance to the air.  To answer another question, the heater runs with all the pumps on and the air blower with 60 amps and with one of the therapy pumps and the air blower with 50 amps.  

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2004, 03:45:49 pm »

Blowers, waterfalls, color switching lites, stereos, TV's, and the like all do not add any theraputic value to the spa, but they can add enjoyment.

I disagree, blowers can add to the theraputic benefit. Depends on the set up. I find a blower plumbed into the massage jets, not pepper jets, increases the power of massage.

The same goes for venturi injectors.

You cant say that venturi injector increases power of jets and not blowers. That would not be logical.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2004, 04:34:49 pm »
Interesting.  I was only answering from my spa, which has a blower which is not plumbed into the therapy jets, but with the pepper jets, using your term.
My spa has the venturi type air controls that allow air into the therapy jets, and I agree that these definately change the massage.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2004, 04:34:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42