What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: BullFrog vs Maax  (Read 38593 times)

mike

BullFrog vs Maax
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:44:18 am »
I'm looking @ both of these spa's and looking for some help me on choosing the better spa. I plan on a wet test early next week with a bullfrog. Haven't wet tested the maax yet not sure if they do that @ this dealer?  The only thing that worries me about bullfrog is the full foam issue due to rodents etc.   However I do like the jet packs & the lack of all those internal hoses. The bullfrog looks like pipes under the kitchen sink, lol.  They both are very expensive unit's and want to get the better spa. I know customer service is a big issue as well.    I live in the villages Florida and both dealers are close by.  I forgot to note I'm 6'2 & wife is 5"8 not sure if that will make a difference. We both want one lounger seat and 5-6 seating total model.  Bullfrog A7L  vs  Maax 471

Thanks, Mike   

Hot Tub Forum

BullFrog vs Maax
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:44:18 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: BullFrog vs Maax
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:21:25 am »
Any other choices in your area?
Retired

vangoghsear

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:06:47 am »
I've got a Bullfrog, one of their lower end models the 151R.  I've been very happy with it.  They have good quality components.  I have no experience with Maax.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:09:04 am by vangoghsear »

Sam

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:05:24 am »
You don't need to worry about rodents in the Bullfrog.  It sits in a plastic pan that seals the bottom.  I personally feel that Bullfrog is a much better spa, though there is nothing wrong with maax at all.  One thing to note is the Maax spa will have diverter valves.  You won't be able to run all of the jets on high power at once.  The JetPak design eliminates up to 90% of the plumbing and allows you to have excellent power with all of the jets on simultaneously.  I think that you will find the massage is significantly better in the Bullfrog as well.  I regularly hear from my wet test customers that the jets were the best of all the spas that they tried.

Good luck in your search  :)

mike

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 12:43:35 pm »
You don't need to worry about rodents in the Bullfrog.  It sits in a plastic pan that seals the bottom.  I personally feel that Bullfrog is a much better spa, though there is nothing wrong with maax at all.  One thing to note is the Maax spa will have diverter valves.  You won't be able to run all of the jets on high power at once.  The JetPak design eliminates up to 90% of the plumbing and allows you to have excellent power with all of the jets on simultaneously.  I think that you will find the massage is significantly better in the Bullfrog as well.  I regularly hear from my wet test customers that the jets were the best of all the spas that they tried.

Good luck in your search  :)

Thanks so much for the information :)   I'm leaning more to the Bullfrog due to the new 2013 h-2 jet packs w/o the plumbing on the backside of the jet packs. Can't wait to wet test the A7L 2013yr model.

mike

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 12:45:37 pm »

Yes there is. What Spa brand would you recommend and why? 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:05:52 pm »

I'm not an expert on either but think Maax and Bullfrog are probably about on par with each other. If you visited mutiple choices and these are you two finalists then I'd suggest you wet test each and go with whichever makes the most sense for you.

Since you didn't mention where your search started I can understand why Tman asked the question. If you haven't gone beyond these two I'd personally visit others that I think rate very high (assuming you have other good choices in your area). Its always best to review all options first and narrow it down to a few finalists to wet test. Being tall and considering a lounge you have 2 vitale reasons to wet test which you are seriously considering.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 04:05:42 pm »

Just wondering if you looked at any other brands to compare Maxx and Bullfrog too. There are several brands that I consider higher quality than either of the 2 your looking at but if they are not in your area for consideration then you have no choice but to go with what I consider lesser quality.

Sounds like a sales person has you convinced that rodents are a problem on full foam tubs. Sounds like a different sales person has you convinced less plumbing is better. So you obviously using the sales pitch to convince you. I wish people would use things like quality of construction and reputation of dealer and manufacturer instead.
Retired

mike

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »

Just wondering if you looked at any other brands to compare Maxx and Bullfrog too. There are several brands that I consider higher quality than either of the 2 your looking at but if they are not in your area for consideration then you have no choice but to go with what I consider lesser quality.

Sounds like a sales person has you convinced that rodents are a problem on full foam tubs. Sounds like a different sales person has you convinced less plumbing is better. So you obviously using the sales pitch to convince you. I wish people would use things like quality of construction and reputation of dealer and manufacturer instead.

I originally was interested in Thermo spas I really liked the park ave model & enjoyed the t.v. adds  however I found out they moved out of Conn. & moved there plant to Mexico. I also read on line there customer service & company is not what it used to be?  This is information I read on line and I'm not certain if it is 100% correct?  This turned me away from the park ave model :(   That's when I did some local research in my area. People in the villages Florida were I know live said they were happy with these two local dealers and there spas. That doesn't mean I made up my mind @ this time.

The sales people on the other two brands didn't steer me into buying there tubs. I don't want to rush into 10k purchase w/o considering all my options first. I like both of these models and dealers are in my area that is a plus but the sale isn't final yet.
Please give me the upper end tubs that you would consider? I would appreciate that information and will do some some research as well. 

mike

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:39:59 pm »

I'm not an expert on either but think Maax and Bullfrog are probably about on par with each other. If you visited mutiple choices and these are you two finalists then I'd suggest you wet test each and go with whichever makes the most sense for you.

Since you didn't mention where your search started I can understand why Tman asked the question. If you haven't gone beyond these two I'd personally visit others that I think rate very high (assuming you have other good choices in your area). Its always best to review all options first and narrow it down to a few finalists to wet test. Being tall and considering a lounge you have 2 vitale reasons to wet test which you are seriously considering.

I originally was interested in Thermo spas I really liked the park ave model & enjoyed the t.v. adds  however I found out they moved out of Conn. & moved there plant to Mexico. I also read on line there customer service & company is not what it used to be?  This is information I read on line and I'm not certain if it is 100% correct?  This turned me away from the park ave model :(   That's when I did some local research in my area. People in the villages Florida were I know live said they were happy with these two local dealers and there spas. That doesn't mean I made up my mind @ this time.

The sales people on the other two brands didn't steer me into buying there tubs. I don't want to rush into 10k purchase w/o considering all my options first. I like both of these models and dealers are in my area that is a plus but the sale isn't final yet.
Please give me the upper end tubs that you would consider? I would appreciate that information and will do some some research as well. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 09:18:14 pm »
I would use the information you have and go visit as many local dealers as you can and listen to all of their sales pitches. In my opinion Maxx is middle of the road and Bullfrog is gimmicky middle of the road. Don't let things like metal frames, insulation method and other dealer hype steer you away from or to any particular brand. Let things like dealer reputation, which your doing, manufacturer reputation for quality and longevity be the things that help you decide along with a wet test if possible. There are about 10 or so manufacturers that stand out as being in business the longest and have a reputation for building quality tubs and standing behind them. In no particular order Dimension One, Marquis, Hot Springs, Sundance, Caldera, Arctic, Artesian, Beachcomber, Jacuzzi and a few others. There are additionally 20-30 middle of the road brands like Emerald, Calspa, Maxx ect, ect. There are also some good quality value tubs like Nordic and Viking and I like Great Lakes for their innovation. Take a look inside at the way it's built, how is it laid out in the equipment area, is it a gobbled up mess or neat and put together well. What is the frame made of and not metal or wood but thin metal or thick metal or 2x2's or 2x4's or flimsy composite or heavy duty composite. Check under the lip of the tub and see how it fits up with the frame and skirting. Get comfortable with the dealer and the price. Then make it comfortable on your butt. If your budget is 10g's your choices are limitless. And Maxx or Bullfrog better be a lot less than 10 grand. A good quality hydrotherapy machine should cost about 8 grand and up depending on how many extra bells and whistles you want. My personal favorite tub is the Dimension One Nautilus, Solid as a rock and will give you a hydrotherapy massage instead of beating you up or just putting you in hot swirling water.

Thermospa really? Did you read any online independent reviews? They have a very bad reputation.
Retired

mike

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:45:04 pm »
I would use the information you have and go visit as many local dealers as you can and listen to all of their sales pitches. In my opinion Maxx is middle of the road and Bullfrog is gimmicky middle of the road. Don't let things like metal frames, insulation method and other dealer hype steer you away from or to any particular brand. Let things like dealer reputation, which your doing, manufacturer reputation for quality and longevity be the things that help you decide along with a wet test if possible. There are about 10 or so manufacturers that stand out as being in business the longest and have a reputation for building quality tubs and standing behind them. In no particular order Dimension One, Marquis, Hot Springs, Sundance, Caldera, Arctic, Artesian, Beachcomber, Jacuzzi and a few others. There are additionally 20-30 middle of the road brands like Emerald, Calspa, Maxx ect, ect. There are also some good quality value tubs like Nordic and Viking and I like Great Lakes for their innovation. Take a look inside at the way it's built, how is it laid out in the equipment area, is it a gobbled up mess or neat and put together well. What is the frame made of and not metal or wood but thin metal or thick metal or 2x2's or 2x4's or flimsy composite or heavy duty composite. Check under the lip of the tub and see how it fits up with the frame and skirting. Get comfortable with the dealer and the price. Then make it comfortable on your butt. If your budget is 10g's your choices are limitless. And Maxx or Bullfrog better be a lot less than 10 grand. A good quality hydrotherapy machine should cost about 8 grand and up depending on how many extra bells and whistles you want. My personal favorite tub is the Dimension One Nautilus, Solid as a rock and will give you a hydrotherapy massage instead of beating you up or just putting you in hot swirling water.

Thermospa really? Did you read any online independent reviews? They have a very bad reputation.

Lol really, thats funny Chit about Thermospa.  Thank You very much for all Good information you supplied :) 

I found out that there is a Sundance dealer 28 miles from where I live. I will need to stop there as well. I see good reviews on the Sundance spa's again very expensive.

I will also check on Dimension one nautilus as mentioned hopefully there is a dealer in my area for a view & wet test?

Thanks again Bro for all your help!!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 07:38:03 am »
Just because D1 is what I consider the best does not mean it will be right for you. Look at as many as you can. You may end up back at Maxx or Bullfrog. Remember its for you and not me.
Retired

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 09:40:23 am »
This is funny.

So, a number of years ago, and investment group bought Jacuzzi Spas...

Then, the same investment company, bought Sundance Spas.

More recently, they also bought Thermospas (their reputation is from before this time).

Then earlier this year, guess who they bought?    D1
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 11:22:24 am »
Yes but they all have different molds and processes still, are built in different factory's using different management and people. So they are all very different tubs.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 11:22:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42