What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Preliminary test review - Aqua Check Trutest  (Read 29605 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Preliminary test review - Aqua Check Trutest
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 12:38:43 pm »
That seems to mirror my experience so far.  When compared aganst my liquid test kit, the results are close enough for me.  Differing by only a bit.  
 So far this device is a keeper.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 12:38:43 pm »

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 01:24:19 pm »
I ordered one last week before the reviews came out.  Looks like its close enough for me. I'll report back after I get it. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 01:25:54 pm by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 05:04:19 pm »
And with the test strips costing a reasonable $13.00 for 50, it sure seems cost competitive with replacing Taylor chems once a year or more.  I'll be monitoring this thread to check any other reactions and maybe spring for one myself.  Thanks to all the guinea pigs who jumped right in... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Sudzz

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 06:06:37 pm »
I got 50 test strips for the Aqua Check for $8.99.  Makes it even more attractive.
Nordic Crown XL - Purchased 12/06

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 11:08:51 am »
You guys convinced me, I'm ordering one as we speak.
Bullfrog 562

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 04:56:18 pm »
Ok, I just got my Aqua-Check tester and it seems well built. It’s giving me a higher CL number than my test strips, 10-13 compared to 5-10.  I repeated the tests several times with both.  I think I'm going to get one of the Taylor kits to compare with.  Does anyone know of a cheep online store?  I'm looking at the K-2006 version.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:44:15 pm by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

kayaknva

• Jacuzzi J355
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 10:26:37 pm »
I got mine from Dr. Spa about a week ago and have been messing with it ever since. I am the one with the color blind problems and have to say this is the best thing since sliced bread. If you have been following my posts for the past year or so I have been having problems with the rash etc. Once I received the tester I tested it out. Showed my PH at 8.2 and Alk at 195. No wonder the rashes. Took me 2 days to get it back to the correct PH level (nightly after work) and I should be able to get back in soon. I want to thank Dr. Spa for the deal (almost used the first bottle of strips already messing around) and hope this fixes the problems. Got my PH back down to 7.5 but my Alk still high. Still gotta figure that one out.

windsurfdog

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 12:36:02 am »
It looks like the only crucial (IMO) reading it is missing is total Cl (or combined Cl, which would be better!).  I guess one would either just stick to a regular shocking routine or maybe let your nose and eyes be your guide?  Whaddayathink?
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 08:04:07 am »
I've never tested for total/combined chlorine anyway, so to me it's a non issue.  

I just use Vermonter's method, and once I found out how much dichlor to add after using the spa- I just shock periodically.  Must be working, since water quality is fine.

Brings up an interesting question- wonder how many spa owners test for total or combined chlorine.  None of the water care routines I've used called for that test.
Brewman

windsurfdog

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 08:48:03 am »
Brew,

I certainly test for total Cl but, like my other tests, only once a week.  With the ozonator and mineral filters, I find that shocking on a regular basis isn't as necessary as without them so I compute combined Cl before making a decision to shock.  For me, it keeps me from adding more MPS or dichlor than I need.  But, compared to the other measures, total Cl is the one I could live without if I had to.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 10:54:03 am »
Interesting how we all have somewhat different methods in water management.

Do you use a Taylor kit?  I'm assuming that the dip strips don't test for total CL?  
Or do they?  The ones I've seen just had the 3 test pads (FC, ALK, Ph), but I haven't looked at that many different brands.

Brewman

windsurfdog

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 03:44:28 pm »
Yes, I'm absolutely hooked on the Taylor kit.  I think if I were to purchase the Aqua-Check I would do it with the idea that I would abandon the Taylor but I really do watch TC, though only once a week as I stated so I'm still teetering on this one.  I guess that's why I put out the feelers about TC measurement.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »
Brew,

I certainly test for total Cl but, like my other tests, only once a week.  With the ozonator and mineral filters, I find that shocking on a regular basis isn't as necessary as without them so I compute combined Cl before making a decision to shock.  For me, it keeps me from adding more MPS or dichlor than I need.  But, compared to the other measures, total Cl is the one I could live without if I had to.

I do the same...test for total Cl once per week and shock if necessary.  I rarely need to shock weekly.  FWIW, I rarely check free chlorine....except when I do my weekly check of total chlorine, but I only do that when my free chlorine would be zero...so I don't think that counts.

Reese

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 04:10:47 pm »
I do the same...test for total Cl once per week and shock if necessary.  I rarely need to shock weekly.  FWIW, I rarely check free chlorine....except when I do my weekly check of total chlorine, but I only do that when my free chlorine would be zero...so I don't think that counts.
Same here, although I will test for free chlorine on occasion to verify that my regular doses are adequate, and nothing is growing in the tub.  I also rarely test Alkalinity -- only when balancing initially, or when pH is low and I am deciding between baking soda or soda ash.

As far as WSD wondering about the impact of a lack of TC measurement, I guess you'd have to work around it by shocking with MPS on a regular schedule, or waiting until you notice CC smell/irritation.  The only time a lack of CC measurement would be an issue is if you planned a dichlor shock and needed to calculate breakpoint.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2007, 05:55:44 am »
Bump.

(Interesting thread)

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2007, 05:55:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42