What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Preliminary test review - Aqua Check Trutest  (Read 29602 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Preliminary test review - Aqua Check Trutest
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2007, 01:50:19 pm »
I keep comparing the strips to my liquid test, and Ph and Cl are close enough for me, and alk is close at times, not so close at others.  I'll keep testing side by side for a while at least.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2007, 01:50:19 pm »

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2007, 05:54:53 pm »
I gave up using it because I have a bad batch of strips. ALK was way off. Waiting for new ones then I will start using it again.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2007, 07:18:03 pm »
After my water change it seems to be doing much better. Both sets of strips are from the same batch.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2007, 08:23:31 pm »
Here's an angle that I considered today as I was testing my water:

Does the Aqua Check system have guidelines to help you determine how much of a certain chem needs to be added to properly adjust the tub?  Take pH adjustment, for instance.  For those of us who live by the Taylor kit, the booklet coupled with the acid and base demand agents really give you an accurate idea of quantity of chem to add.  Is there anything in the Aqua Check system that gives guidelines like this?
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2007, 11:26:55 pm »
Not really.  There is a spa chart for chlorination and superchlorination, which tells how much dichlor to add to get a certain ppm.  
There are Ph and Alk charts for pools, but not spas, for some reason.
Brewman

Webini

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2007, 03:30:47 pm »
Did we ever confirm that batch #6355 was bad?  I just got the tester from Doc and ordered an extra bottle of strips.  Sure enough the extra bottle is #6355.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2007, 07:09:25 pm »
It wasn't the additional bottle, but the smaller bottle that comes with the tester........ but, I've been using one for a while now (yeah, I'm surprised too. Even I thought I was too cheap to use one, and I get them at cost) and it seems to be pretty consistent.

One thing I noticed. BE SURE to get the strip pushed all to way to the top of the slot in the reader.

Also can't hurt to wipe of the screen through which the strips are read with a Q-tip
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 07:10:21 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Webini

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2007, 08:13:40 pm »
The bottle that came with the tester is #7061, the extra in the separate package is #6355.  So both are OK?

Webini

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2007, 12:56:56 pm »
OK I'm not impressed so far.  I've tested this meter against my strips and my Taylor kit.  The strips and Taylor agree.  The meter, not so much.

With the meter my water tested 8.8.  Three separate times.  I followed the "turn meter on, dip strip, shake, place on meter top end first" procedure.

Taylor and other strips say 7.8.  I add some pH down.  The meter then says 7.8, Taylor and other strips 7.2.

Alk according to Taylor and other strips is around 90.  Meter says 130 - 140.

I know there is no FC in the tub.  Taylor and other strips confirm.  Meters is all over the board.

I wiped down the meter glass between tests.  I also used some strips from the extra Aqua bottle I got (different lot #).  Same results.

I really wanted this to work to take the guesswork out of testing for my wife.  She won't use the Taylor when I am away.

Defective meter, design issue?   :'(
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:58:09 pm by Webini »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2007, 01:54:06 pm »
Youre is more off thana any I've heard of so far. I've got batch # 7061 and the CL and pH is always consistant. The ALK leave a bit to be desired.

two questions, just to double check. Are you sure the strip is all the way at the top of the reader and right up against it? AND, this may be most important, are you dipping the strip into perfectly still water, or are the jets on the the water swirling about? From reading the directions (a switch for me as I'm a Tim Allen kinda guy) I noticed they say to not dip the srtips into moving water.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Webini

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2007, 09:52:18 am »
I made sure I was putting the strip at the top of the reader and that it was flat.  The water was still except for the ozone bubbles.

I tried again yesterday.  One thing I changed was the batteries.  My wife had thrown in an old set of AAs, I put in fresh Duracells.  The CL and pH agreed with the test strip this time.  Did not try the Taylor.  The Alk read about 140 while strip read 80.

I'll keep experimenting.

eln1559

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2007, 10:08:43 am »
Keep the info coming ;)

Sudzz

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2007, 11:46:25 am »
I've had my AquaCheck for a couple months now and I love it.  I did a test last night and compared it to my standard strips and all three readings - CL, PH, Alk - were similar between the two.  I never compared it to a Taylor-type test but the one time I compared it to my dealers test, it was very close.
Nordic Crown XL - Purchased 12/06

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2007, 11:46:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42