What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Yet another new buyer question  (Read 4019 times)

caribbeansun

Yet another new buyer question
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:57:42 am »
I'm going to appologize right up front for my lack of knowledge about hot tubs.  I've listened to at least three dealers talk about this aspect and that aspect of their construction, I've done numeroud web searches and gone through many posts on this site and I'm still feeling lost on what REALLY matters.  I live in Ontario, Canada so it gets pretty cold during the winter if that is important.

There aren't a lot of what I'll call mainstream dealers in my area but there's enough to get very different views on things.

I've looked at Arctic, Jacuzzi (400 series) and Artesian (Gold and Platinum) and will be going to look at Sundance (800 series in ground) sometime this week.

I can't really reconcile the pricing of the Arctic to what they are claiming to be their benefits.  Beyond that I recognize that I'll have to wet test these to find which one is the most suitable.

With those 4 brands are there particular issues that I should be aware of at the front end?

Thanks in advance for any input that you can provide.

Hot Tub Forum

Yet another new buyer question
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:57:42 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Yet another new buyer question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:12:48 am »
All the brands are good brands. It really comes down to what features you prefer, how comfortable the tub is to YOU and how much you like the dealer.

All dealers sell "THE BEST" and obviously they can't all be the best. But there is one that is the best for you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:21:45 am »
With those 4 brands are there particular issues that I should be aware of at the front end?

If you put it that way, I'd say no, there are no particular issues IMO that sets any of those 4 remarkably apart in either a + or - way.

I imagine you exhaustively searched the websites of the major spa makers to get down to those 4 brands and they good ones. I'd stick to the portable though and not go with that in-ground option buy hey, that's just me.

Do take into account your feelings relative to which, if any, really seem like they'll be a very supportive dealer (and conversely which, if any, may seem the type to deliver it and then not have much need to be helpful after the sale).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 01:50:00 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 01:45:18 pm »
Caribbeansun,

Welcome to the forum

All four tubs you mentioned come from very good manufacturers and I have not heard of anything you should be aware of, with any of them.   Keep in mind that there is no "best" tub just the one thats "best" for you.  Wet test all four and see what one you are most comfortable in.   Check out the reputation of the dealer on service after the sale.

Good luck with your search
Bullfrog 451

caribbeansun

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 02:38:55 pm »
Thanks for the input so far - much appreciated.

With respect to checking out the dealer after-sale service piece how would you suggest doing that?  Some of these places have testimonial letters but then you're only going to see the ones that they want you to see, same issue if you ask to speak to past and current customers.  I can get a feel for the person but if they are good at salesmanship that can be tough indeed.  I was going to check with the BBB as well as check their stats to see how long they've been in business.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 02:46:04 pm »
Thanks for the input so far - much appreciated.

With respect to checking out the dealer after-sale service piece how would you suggest doing that?  Some of these places have testimonial letters but then you're only going to see the ones that they want you to see, same issue if you ask to speak to past and current customers.  I can get a feel for the person but if they are good at salesmanship that can be tough indeed.  I was going to check with the BBB as well as check their stats to see how long they've been in business.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

Yup the BBB is a good place to start.   I also would ask for references. Most folks say sure....then they never give them to you.  Other dealers will have them on hand.   Now no dealer is going to give you a reference for someone they had a problem with, and every dealer has at least a couple of folks who will put in a good word, but someitmes just asking the dealer to provide you with them is telling in how they handle it.  

Also note on the references how old they are.  if the dealer gives you names from 10 years ago and has nothign recent, then I'd be suspicious... and the inverse is also true, all new customers, but none who have lived with the dealer's product and service for years?

Look for negative stuff. actively seek it out.  Not just the BBB but use google to find negative information.  (Don't just search the internet for "Drewstar" but search for "Drewstar sucks"  or "Drewstar Problems",  check in here and actually name names and see if folks can comment.  partipate in forums and discussions, and ask if folks have ever delt with the dealer,  or have first hand knowledge of the product.

Keep in mind that most new owners of hot tubs are still honeymooning, and even folks with the worst value will give glowing reviews.  Also note that many hot tub owers may have only owned one or two tubs, so it's hard for individuals to give comparison reviews of tubs, but try to listen to what problems they had, or didn't have.

Doc spa of RHtubs is actually trying to build a database/userboard on dealers, which I think would be a great idea.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:52:06 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

96SC

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 03:48:07 pm »

(Don't just search the internet for "Drewstar" but search for "Drewstar sucks"  or "Drewstar Problems

Drewstar:

I did as you suggested and after 20 minutes it's still compiling data  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

Drewstar:

I did as you suggested and after 20 minutes it's still compiling data  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, and you will need a valid credit card to access those sites.    ;)   ;D ;D ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 05:35:16 pm »

I can't really reconcile the pricing of the Arctic to what they are claiming to be their benefits.  Beyond that I recognize that I'll have to wet test these to find which one is the most suitable.

My experience would indicate that you can expect to get it for "quite a bit" less than initially quoted. This may not be a universal Arctic selling strategy, but I think they tend to quote high and then "make people happy" by coming down in price. Not my preferred style of sales, but was at least true at my dealer.
Dance like nobody's watching

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 06:07:30 pm »

Don't just search the internet for "Drewstar" but search for "Drewstar sucks"  

I'm not so sure I'd expect the word "sucks" would narrow the search in this case!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

caribbeansun

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 06:36:38 pm »
Yeah, they kind of made some noise to that effect, unfortunately, reducing an otherwise inflated price decidedly doesn't make me "happy" it makes me wonder just how much they are willing to take out of my pocket.  Answer - as much as I'd let them.  I suspect I may not revisit the Arctic dealer as their #'s are simply too high and I'm reasonably sure I'm not prepared to invest hours of my time I'll never get back to haggle over a price.  I didn't realize I was buying a used car...  

Having said that, may I ask just how much they dropped their price in your case?

My experience would indicate that you can expect to get it for "quite a bit" less than initially quoted. This may not be a universal Arctic selling strategy, but I think they tend to quote high and then "make people happy" by coming down in price. Not my preferred style of sales, but was at least true at my dealer.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 06:56:04 pm »
If you have "Angieslist.com" available up there, that would also be a good source to check on dealers track records.  I pay a yearly subscription, but I think you can go in as a guest and check it out, not sure though.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 07:00:44 pm by Ruby »
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Reese

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 07:44:31 pm »
...I suspect I may not revisit the Arctic dealer as their #'s are simply too high and I'm reasonably sure I'm not prepared to invest hours of my time I'll never get back to haggle over a price...
If you like the tub, call and let them know just what you said here.  When I come across a vendor like that, I let them know that I don't want to play games -- and that I need their best price now or will be removing them from consideration.  It doesn't always work, but it saves both of us time, and I can always go back after shopping the other choices -- if I decide that I'm willing to play their game because I want that particular product.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 07:54:08 pm by Reese »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 08:12:38 pm »
If you like the tub, call and let them know just what you said here.  When I come across a vendor like that, I let them know that I don't want to play games -- and that I need their best price now or will be removing them from consideration.  It doesn't always work, but it saves both of us time, and I can always go back after shopping the other choices -- if I decide that I'm willing to play their game because I want that particular product.

I agree 100% with Reese. I buy all major purchases this way, I'm not a haggler but I will shop for the best value. Just remember the lowest price might not be the best value for you.

If you are starting the pricing conversation with what you said here, hopefully they know you mean business. When I was shopping for a mortgage I went to a few banks and mortgage brokers. I said that I want the bottom line on costs to all I talked to. When I didn't pick this particular person, he told me he could have done better ... I told him I specifically talked to him about the costs and HE was the one who blew the deal.

Hot water is great and you will be happy with almost any tub IMO.

Bama

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 12:58:28 am »
Something to keep in mind.  
Make sure the tub has jets directed to all major muscles and nerve trigger points.
I think, you'll be glad you made this consideration.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 12:58:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42