What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover advice  (Read 4687 times)

mamajo

Cover advice
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:23:13 pm »
I came across this site while researching for a new cover for my ancient hot tub - it looks like you have a lot of fun here throwing out opinions and sharing information.  If my question is not posted in the proper topic spot, please forgive me!  

I am in need of a new cover for our tub, as the old one is weighing in at about 1000 pounds.  Well, almost.   ::)    Anyway, I noticed that some folks live in cold winter areas and am hoping there is someone who can offer general advice about purchasing a new cover.  I'm not sure specific brand info is what I need, because so many companies do not ship to Alaska, or the shipping cost is prohibitive (some companies have quoted twice what others do - go figure).  What I'm wondering about is the insulating factor, the thickness and density of the foam, and if some of the enhanced wrapping of the foam, etc. has made a difference in your experience.  Of course there is no consistency on the R values promised by different manufacturers (comparing same density and thickness) - everybody wants to be the best.  The biggest thing I've learned about the cover I have is that the floating blanket seemed to make a huge difference on preventing the foam core from absorbing so much.  I left it off for a couple of days and the cover seemed to double in weight!  It was already HEAVY, but now I can hardly move it.

Do you know if 2 lb density/4 inch cover might have similar insulating factor as a 1 pound density/6 inch cover?

HELP!!!   And thank you!

Hot Tub Forum

Cover advice
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:23:13 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re:  Cover advice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:37:44 pm »
Go see http://rhtubs.com  That's Doc's site. He's a good guy, although a bit funny looking.

He IS  the man for replacement covers.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 12:38:24 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:46:31 pm »
Why the heck didn't you post this in the  I need a new cover for my old tub section? :o

Kidding.  That said, what Drewstar said is what I will do next.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:51:35 pm »
Mamajo,

I did a quick look over at RHtubs and found this blurb:

With our 6" thick Extreme cover, a 1 pound density is more than enough. It provide almost 50% more insulation value over the 4" Deluxe spa cover, is stronger, yet is the same weight. Higher foam densities have additional strength, but only slightly more insulating ability. One of the many options we offer is upgrading to a higher density foam, if additional strength is needed. Perfect for areas of heavy snow, rambunctious children and large dogs (even deer).

Sounds like what you are looking for?

I am pretty sure (but not postive) his prices include delivery too. I'll be needing a cover lifter in the next few months and without hesitation, it will be from them.  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 12:55:40 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:52:57 pm »
Go see http://rhtubs.com  That's Doc's site. He's a good guy, although a bit funny looking.

He IS  the man for replacement covers.  ;)

Doc also frequents here and will undoubtedly respond.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 12:54:01 pm »
I use Doc for supplies and he has good prices and great customer service. I do plan on using him when my cover needs replacing.

I have his extreme cover in mind which is 6 to 4 taper but if you go to his site and look at the info provided he speaks of the various thicknesses and densities... there's a lot of info IMO.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:05:01 pm »
I'm gonna break the rules once again  ::)

http://www.hot-tub-spa-covers.com/insulating_spa_covers.htm

Click the link R-value. That should explain how/why different sites say different things.... Well, for the most part ;) , there are a few sites simply lying  :-/

Also click the FAQ link, then on "How much weight will a spa cover hold?". There's a pretty nice, though slightly complicated chart, that compares different thicknesses and densities of covers, showing overall weight and R values.

A quick answer to your question though;

"Do you know if 2 lb density/4 inch cover might have similar insulating factor as a 1 pound density/6 inch cover? "

2 lb density/4 inch = R-13
1 pound density/6 inch = R-19.3

This is the R value for ONLY the foam and doesn't consider the additional R value for the other materials in the cover. It ALSO is based on the foam ACTUALLY being as thick as stated. (I put that in because a LOT of companies use "nominal" measurements, and what they call 4", can actually be as thin as 3-1/2" (which will greatly change the actual R value).)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 01:29:07 pm »
Dr. Spa Kenobi, ObGyn is one of the good guys:
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

mamajo

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 01:49:26 pm »
Wow!  Thanks for you prompt and sound advice.  Even I should be able to figure it out with all this help!  Looks like the links offered are just what I needed.   :-*

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 01:49:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42