What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub temp when not in use?  (Read 63929 times)

richopian

Hot Tub temp when not in use?
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:59:32 am »
Hi all,
I'm new to this hot tub thing and was just wondering what temp everyone recommends setting there tub to when not using it.

I have no idea myself. The first night I thought I'd better bring it down to 80 degrees overnight (so as not to pay for heating to a higher temperature). It ended up snowing that night and to my surprise in the morning the temp was 100 degrees !! - I guess the circulatino and filter pumps that run must help maintain the temp.

Last night I set it to 90 degress, but am now wondering if this is foolish. Should I just leave it set at 100.  

Any thoughts and advice...

cheers
Rich

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub temp when not in use?
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:59:32 am »

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
Re: Hot Tub temp when not in use?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 12:08:33 pm »
If it's a new tub, set it and forget it.  Unless you're leaving it at a vacation house where you are away for long periods, it's not practicle, nor will it save you much (if anything) to play with the thermostat on a daily basis.

You want that baby hot and waiting for you to jump right in!

My $.02

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 12:11:36 pm »
I agree...set it and forget it.  I leave mine at 102.

Reese

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 12:16:03 pm »
If you are going to use the tub regularly, you probably won't save anything by setting the temp down, because water heats and cools slowly, and requires a lot of energy to reheat.  On some tubs, setting the temp down causes the controller to go into "summer mode", shutting off the circ pump or filter cycles to avoid generating any additional heat.  That may not be advisable in the winter, when keeping the water moving helps maintain a uniform temp.

On the other hand, if your use is sporadic, or if you know you will be away for awhile, setting the tub down may save you a little money.  (Remember, if the tub is costing $20-30/month to heat, a 10% savings is only $2.50 a month -- IMO a small price to pay to have it ready to use on a whim).  I'd recommend setting it down to a point where the tub can reheat to normal temp in the lead time you will be able to give it.  For example if your tub heats 4-5 degrees/hour, and you are willing to wait a half-hour for the tub to warm up when you decide to use it, set it down 2 degrees.  If you can wait an hour, 4...etc.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 12:23:30 pm »
It takes less energy to keep water at 90 degress than 100.
 But it also takes energy to raise the temperature from 90 to 100, in my spa, that would probably take close to 2 hours.  

To save money, you have to have the spa sitting at the lower temperature long enough to come out ahead on the energy used to heat up the water.

In most cases, I suspect that savings would be so small as to not be worth the bother.

Brewman

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 01:30:13 pm »
Lets make an assumption that over 24 hours the water will drop from 100 to 90. Now, are you saying it will take MORE energy to raise the temp back up from 90 to 100 than it would to manitain the temp at 100 for the entire previous 24 hours?????
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 01:36:20 pm »
I take mine down to 98 when I am not using it.  This way, the kids can go in and spash around a bit wihtuot roasting.  I like it at 102 degs.  IF I am gogin to go in, it takes an hour or so to get all the way to 102 so no big deal.   When I get home, I pop outside and raise it up.

I am sure that I am not saving hege $$ especially out here in South Florida, but up north you will save $$ for every degree.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 01:54:30 pm »
Lets make an assumption that over 24 hours the water will drop from 100 to 90. Now, are you saying it will take MORE energy to raise the temp back up from 90 to 100 than it would to manitain the temp at 100 for the entire previous 24 hours?????

If you're asking me, I have no idea.  I know how much my heater costs to run per hour, but what I don't know is how often it kicks on for how long to keep the temperature I've set it at.  

What I do know is that I don't want to wait 2 hours for the water to run up to temperature if I want to use the spa.  

What I suspect is that the amount I'd save wouldn't be worth it to me.

Dollar wise? Don't know.

Brewman

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 02:16:16 pm »

What I do know is that I don't want to wait 2 hours for the water to run up to temperature if I want to use the spa.  

What I suspect is that the amount I'd save wouldn't be worth it to me.

Agreed. If one is using the spa daily, or almost daily, the savings would be quite minimal. For someone only using the spa occasionally, like on weekends, there may be a slight noticeable savings (though I'd tend to go to an even lower temperature).

There's a law of physics that "translates" to, the greater the temperature of the spa, the more heat will be lost in a given period of time. Hence, it requires more energy to maintain a spa at 100 than it does at 90. As a  lower temp loses less energy, it will therefore require less energy to bring the water back up to temperature, that to maintain the higher temperature over a period of time. But again, for a regularly used spa, the savings will probably be negligible.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 02:29:30 pm »
Hi all,
I'm new to this hot tub thing and was just wondering what temp everyone recommends setting there tub to when not using it.

I have no idea myself. The first night I thought I'd better bring it down to 80 degrees overnight (so as not to pay for heating to a higher temperature). It ended up snowing that night and to my surprise in the morning the temp was 100 degrees !! - I guess the circulatino and filter pumps that run must help maintain the temp.

Last night I set it to 90 degress, but am now wondering if this is foolish. Should I just leave it set at 100.  

Any thoughts and advice...

cheers
Rich

Most people just set it and forget it,but with the J365 you could use the economy mode.  Then it will only heat during a filter cycle,some people (not many) can set the filter cycle to come on 1 hour before you use the spa, now granted this only works if you plan to use the spa at a specific time everyday. But it would work, best way just leave it where you want it then its always ready to go. ;)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 02:37:04 pm »
Yeah, my Optmia has that economy mode too.  Only problem is me.  My spa use isn't all that predictable.  

PS
I did some mental math- my cost to run the heater for one hour is about $0.50, so call it a buck to get that theoretical 10 degree increase.  

Do that once a day, and I'd be paying about $30/month to boost that water.  

But my spa heating costs aren't all that much more than $30 per month, on average.  

So it looks like in this example, I'd be breaking even at best.  I suppose then, that the best use of this would be for those who only use their spas once or twice a week.
Or less often.  

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:42:14 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 02:42:38 pm »
my hubby and I use the tub sporadically...not at all for a week, then 3 nights in a row, then 1 night next week, and.....you get the picture.  ;) Anyhow, our tub is set at 101, and we don't bother adjusting it, unless we get a streak of warm weather (drop tub temp to about 100), or really cold (bump it up to 102). "Set it and forget it" is the motto in this case. This way, the tub is ALWAYS ready for us, regardless of how well we planned our soak.
Convenience might cost a tad more, but to us, it's worth it.
RIP C-Rod

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 12:06:52 am »
I'm with doc on this one.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Davidny

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 03:05:05 pm »
My massage therapist has a Snorkel hot tub, which she hops in at 108.  :o

Reese

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 03:09:20 pm »
My massage therapist has a Snorkel hot tub, which she hops in at 108.  :o
Did you mean to post this in the "What temp..." poll?  Regardless, what is a "Snorkel" tub?  Sounds interesting, very interesting -- especially in the same sentence with "massage therapist". ::)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 03:11:26 pm by Reese »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 03:09:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42