What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Micropure filters  (Read 7200 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Micropure filters
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:40:29 pm »
Does anyone have experience with these 1 micron disposable filters?

Hot Tub Forum

Micropure filters
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:40:29 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Micropure filters
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 12:45:09 pm »
They work awesome    we sell  probably  60 in the summer months  for people with hot tubs at their camps  or customers with teenagers  for the fact of all the oils  body lotions

with heavy usage you should get about 2 months  
lower bather loads some of my customers have gotten 4 months  

they work much better than any scum bug

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:07:08 pm »
I have yet to use any filter other than the microban filter.  I absolutely love it, however, I cant compare it to pleated filters.  

I have had my tub for approx 1.5 years.  I am on my fifth filter now.  So I average one every 3 months.  It is nice in the sense, that I dont have to pull my filters, wash them and soak them, I do not need to add chemicals to the tub to clear the water and so on, so it is truely maietance free.

Some argue the price is to high on them.  I dont know how much pleated cost with chemicals, but I think you should also factor in time and energy to clean them.  My time is limited with shift work, two kids and a wife with a rennovation list a mile long.  So to me 30.00 canadian every 3 months is great.  I pop out the old filter and put in a new one and I am good to go.  I have never had cloudy water, I have never had a foam issue with my tub, I have never had smelly water nither.  

My water maitenance is so easy that 5 min. a week takes care of my water.  I dont even test anymore, I just know my tub and water and I add two scoops of alk up once a week, add my bromine to my dispenser, and shock twice a week.  Thats it.  

The problem with the microban is that you need to identify the signs that you filter is going south and coming to an end of its life.  I wait to I see a little piece of the filter in the water, the filter breaks down as it gets old.  If you pull it as soon as you see this then you are golden.  If you let it wait it gets messy and I would say you can change your water or just get  net and sift it out.  

Thats the only negative I can think of, either than that, it is a great filter.  I think the less chemicals in the water the better the water.  I just dont think I would enjoy the extra work and time on the tub if I used pleated filters.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 01:18:01 pm »
Great feedback guys, thanks. Anyone else?

So to be clear, what chemicals has this filter eliminated for you bosco? I do understand that clarifiers are no longer needed but is there a difference with any other products you would normally add?

Steve

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 01:24:37 pm »
Steve, I only use bromine, shock and alk up thats it.

I dont need clarifiers or chemicals for the filters to clean.  Im not sure what other chemicals may get added to the tub because I have never used them.  Every six months I get a jug of bromine, a jug of shock and 2 cans of alk up.  Thats it.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 02:16:34 pm »
They work great.  I recommend using a clarifier or enzyme to kick-start the process of getting them to filter better.

Don't use any scale inhibitor.

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 02:21:26 pm »
I'm glad to read the rave reviews of these filters. They were another reason why I went with Arctic. These filters are supposed to screen particles down to 1 micron and eliminate the need for chemical clarifiers, descummers, de-foamers, etc. By the way, how much do they cost and can you get them at any pool/spa store?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 02:33:24 pm »
They work great.  I recommend using a clarifier or enzyme to kick-start the process of getting them to filter better.

Don't use any scale inhibitor.

I STRONGLY urge you not to use a clarifier at all. At 1 micron, why would you need them to filter "better"? These filters will plug up much quicker and you will shorten their life expectancy by doing so. That's straight from the manufacturer!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 02:34:03 pm by Steve »

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »
I was given a microban filter when I took home my tub. I used it for the first 3 months, and replaced it with a pleated filter. I don't miss the microban filter at all.

I notice no difference in my water clarity, and it cost less with pleated.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 02:46:20 pm »
They are great money makers...
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 03:04:37 pm »
These filters are supposed to screen particles down to 1 micron and eliminate the need for chemical clarifiers, descummers, de-foamers, etc.
My Sundance has the MicroClean II (as they call it) disposable filter that filters down to around 5 microns and supposedly filters oils.  I still get a bit of a waterline scum ring though, even though it's only me using the tub and I consider myself quite "clean". :)  My water is crystal clear with no odor or anything, but based on my limited experience I'm not sure ANY filter system alone can prevent scum...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:06:04 pm by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 03:42:56 pm »
link=1162402829/0#6 date=1162408886] but based on my limited experience I'm not sure ANY filter system alone can prevent scum...

You are 100% correct! Water quality will ALWAYS be based on filtration, circulation and water balance. Take one of those away and water will go south on you!

Steve
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:44:52 pm by Steve »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 03:47:43 pm »
I'm glad to read the rave reviews of these filters. They were another reason why I went with Arctic. These filters are supposed to screen particles down to 1 micron and eliminate the need for chemical clarifiers, descummers, de-foamers, etc. By the way, how much do they cost and can you get them at any pool/spa store?

So let me understand this? You went with Arctic because of this (one of the reasons anyway) yet you have no clue the cost of replacement? How did you determine the true value of this feature without knowing that?  ::) Being in the "plastics biz" and all...  ;D

anne

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 03:56:13 pm »
There was a thread on these several....or at least a few months ago.....you might search on that. Lots of the same stuff mentioned here was said, but there was more detail too.

I tried them, did not like them. I dont want to be limited in what I CAN add to my water if needed. Also too pricey, and cleaning a pleated filter takes so little time.
Dance like nobody's watching

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 04:20:44 pm »
Thanks Anne. Can you tell me what you didn't like about them?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 04:20:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42