What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Visited Arctic dealer today...............  (Read 18543 times)

cflrules

Re: Visited Arctic dealer today...............
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2006, 03:52:49 pm »
I remember seeing a letter written by a Hot Spring owner (in NY I believe)  It told a story about a spa that went for like 3 days without power during a blizzard.  The temp went from 103 down to about 85.  

Yes.....but the equipment probably exploded from the expansion of the ice.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 03:56:16 pm by cflrules »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2006, 03:52:49 pm »

cflrules

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2006, 04:18:14 pm »
Got news for you.  At -20 that hollow cavity won't be far behind the non insulated equipment bay as far as freezing goes...no matter what the Arctic people claim.

Really? How?

When you say not far do mean about 4-5 days....?

cflrules

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2006, 04:24:33 pm »

As a learning experience for us all....I would bet that if you put a thermometer in the equipment area of a TP the temp will exced 140F .....

We have one in a running spa in our showroom. The air space temperature in the cabinet is usually within a couple degrees of the water. If the spa has just completed a filtration cycle, user had the pump on high speed, etc....it may raise to 110 max. This is from my experiences with a operational spa, anyways......

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2006, 04:43:35 pm »

Yes.....but the equipment probably exploded from the expansion of the ice.

It did, they're designed that way.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2006, 05:03:55 pm »

Really? How?

When you say not far do mean about 4-5 days....?

Because there is nothing generating heat for the air space.

cflrules

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2006, 12:16:25 pm »

Because there is nothing generating heat for the air space.

The natural transfer of heat from the spa vessel and the plumbing throughout the air space provides plenty of time before there is a serious problem.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2006, 02:36:36 pm »

The natural transfer of heat from the spa vessel and the plumbing throughout the air space provides plenty of time before there is a serious problem.

The natural transfer of heat from the spa vessel and the plumbing throughout the air space to the outside air will only be hindered by a small layer of insulation.  On a full foam spa, you have a large layer of insulation keeping that heat in the water.  

Since you do not have the pumps to generate heat inside the cabinet, you are relying on the spa water to keep the temperature up.  Last time I checked, using the object you are trying to keep warm AS the heat source to keep itself warm does not work very well.  ( I hope that made sense.)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2006, 03:59:20 pm »

Really?

When you say plenty of time do mean about 4-5 days....?

Go check the brochure and see if you an come up with an answer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

cflrules

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2006, 06:00:47 pm »

Really?

When you say plenty of time do mean about 4-5 days....?

Go check the brochure and see if you an come up with an answer.

At least 4-5 days...depending on the outside temp of course. We did a test last month in the yard of our shop. Warmed the spa to 104, then cut the power to it. After 5 days, the water temp was approx 45, with the air space (and all the equipment, plumbing, etc...) around the 40F mark. Outside temp was on average about -20c throughout the testing period.

They system works very well, especially in our colder climate.  It's nice to be able to sell a product that has such an advantage for the climate it is exposed to.

Highly doubt you will find a specific answer in the brochure, as of course there is so many factors involved in making such a statement.

Hope my shared experience helps answer some questions for you. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 06:01:36 pm by cflrules »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2006, 06:29:59 pm »

At least 4-5 days...depending on the outside temp of course. We did a test last month in the yard of our shop. Warmed the spa to 104, then cut the power to it. After 5 days, the water temp was approx 45, with the air space (and all the equipment, plumbing, etc...) around the 40F mark. Outside temp was on average about -20c throughout the testing period.

If that is true then it would be an advantage over some of the poorly insulated spas out there and if it works as well as you say it would even be on par with some of the well insulated full foam spas.

cflrules

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2006, 07:09:45 pm »

If that is true then it would be an advantage over some of the poorly insulated spas out there and if it works as well as you say it would even be on par with some of the well insulated full foam spas.

Difference being, any foam fulled spa with no insulation surrounding the equipment compartment would have frozen pumps, lines, element, etc...while the Arctic is still above freezing.  No way uninsulated components full of water do not freezr in that time period. Regardless of heaters, blankets, your wifes hair dryer, etc.....

I would have to say "on par" would be an understatement.  Seems like a superior design for cold weather climates.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2006, 07:19:01 pm »

Difference being, any foam fulled spa with no insulation surrounding the equipment compartment would have frozen pumps, lines, element, etc...while the Arctic is still above freezing.

I'm getting confused....I've never seen an Arctic Spa in person so help me out, if you don't mind (And I don't have a pig in this race because I'm in a much more hospitable climate than ya'll, I'm just trying to learn :)).

If the Arctic spa is hollow underneath (for the most part) and the pump, heater, etc are in a hollow area, what is advantageous about that design over a full-foam spa that has the plumbing contained in high-density foam but the pump, heater, etc in a hollow area?  What am I missing?  Thanks!

Terminator

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2006, 08:45:27 pm »

Difference being, any foam fulled spa with no insulation surrounding the equipment compartment would have frozen pumps, lines, element, etc...while the Arctic is still above freezing.  No way uninsulated components full of water do not freezr in that time period. Regardless of heaters, blankets, your wifes hair dryer, etc.....

I would have to say "on par" would be an understatement.  Seems like a superior design for cold weather climates.

LOL, says who, you? You've obviously swallowed the Kool-aide in one big gulp. That old "their equipment will freeze" scare tactic is soooo old but it sure sounds good in your presentation doesn't it. Apparently you either don't have the knowledge or the good sense to boast about your own product without knocking the competition (regardless of it's validity) as a means to feel better about yourself. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back and while you're at it tell all the customers that everyone's else's siding will warp except yours, everyone else's covers will collapse, everyone else's water will get cloudy except yours, 4 out of 5 dentists choose your spas, the pope has one in his winter cabin and why not cater to the aging population with something along the lines of your spa being proven to cause greater weight loss, reduced male pattern baldness and improved erectile function when compared to full foam spas.

On a side note, it's not real football unless there are 4 downs.

cflrules

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2006, 10:43:18 am »

I'm getting confused....I've never seen an Arctic Spa in person so help me out, if you don't mind (And I don't have a pig in this race because I'm in a much more hospitable climate than ya'll, I'm just trying to learn :)).

If the Arctic spa is hollow underneath (for the most part) and the pump, heater, etc are in a hollow area, what is advantageous about that design over a full-foam spa that has the plumbing contained in high-density foam but the pump, heater, etc in a hollow area?  What am I missing?  Thanks!

Terminator

The equipment is indeed in a hollow area, the difference being that the access panels will not be insulated, allowing for heat venting.....thus providing no protection in case of a power interuption.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2006, 11:49:28 am »

The equipment is indeed in a hollow area, the difference being that the access panels will not be insulated, allowing for heat venting.....thus providing no protection in case of a power interuption.

????  I just went and opened up a HotSpring Envoy.  There is high density, closed cell foam insulation surrounding three sides of the equipment area.  The door is a thick Everwood panel with an insulation panel mounted to the inside of it.

I would imagine every other full foam spa is pretty similiar.

What is Arctic doing that's different than every other spa company?

I do appreciate your responses and I really am trying to understand.  I enjoy learning about innovative ideas in this industry. :)

Terminator

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2006, 11:49:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42