What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: chlorine question  (Read 2934 times)

anne

chlorine question
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:06:34 pm »
I have seen different recommendations for this, and I'm wondering if there is a consensus answer amongst our deaers/techs/experienced tub owners:

When should I leave the lid open after adding chlorine, and for how long?

a. leave it open with EVERY chlorine dose for ____minutes
b. leave it open only with shock doses (not daily doses) for _____minutes
c. after shocking leave it open for longer (____ min), but with daily doses only leave it for ____minutes.

With MPS I leave it open for 15-30 minutes, and this is no big deal since it only happens every other week or so. I'd like to not have to leave the tub open with every single use, and have to go back outside to close things up, but I will if it is best.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

chlorine question
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:06:34 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: chlorine question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 04:50:34 pm »
c. after shocking leave it open for longer (____ min), but with daily doses only leave it for ____minutes.

My answers would be 60, 5. I too leave the tub open for at least 15 min when shocking with MPS.

After using the tub, I have a routine: Get out, turn on jets, put in dichlor, let the dog out, dry off, put on robe, take off wet suit, TRY to get the dog back in and close up lid, it seems to work for me. OK when it's really cold out, I'll dry off, put on robe and take off wet suit first ... the whole TRYING to get the dog in takes most of the time ... I've had her 6 years and I just finally learning to entice her with treats ... works every time! :D

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:27:46 pm »
I leave my lid open for about five minutes after adding my regular chlorine dose.

I leave it open for about twenty minutes after shocking, whether it be a chlorine shock or a non chlorine shock.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 05:31:44 pm »
b / 20
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 09:51:11 am »
With my after soak dichlor use,  I add the dichlor, turn the timer on for 10 minutes, close and lcok the cover. Scandadle into the house.

With shocking (MPS) , I leave the cover open for 30-45 minutes with the jets on.

Works for me.

Another handy tip I got from folks here is to save the test strip bottles. Before going out to the tub, I premeasue the amount of dichlor I will need and put it into the old bottle, and take it out with me.  This saves time and is very convient, espically so on those cold winter nights.    :D

Folks shopping for a new tub should ask if the tub has a "Clean up" or timed cycle that allows them to dump the sanitizer in and go. (As opposed to having to go back out, shut off the timer, and close it all up. Or worse, forget the jets are running). It's not a must have feature, but it sure is nice.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 03:02:16 pm »
c.  30, 15

My pumps run on a 15 min. cycle.  After soaking, I add my (normally) 2 tsp. of dichlor and let the pumps run for 1 cycle before closing the cover.  After shocking with either dichlor or MPS, I let it run for 2 cycles before covering.  This routine works for me as my 2+ year old cover looks excellent save for a bit of bleaching on the underside except where it covers the acrylic.  I attribute the bleaching to the ozonator as well as the dichlor.  I also think my applications of 303 on the underside is partly responsible as well.  I'm happy with the results and will continue the routine.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

anne

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 05:05:55 pm »
It is ok to put 303 on the underside?
Dance like nobody's watching

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 05:29:47 pm »
It is ok to put 303 on the underside?
Absolutely!  Don't leave home without it! 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Webini

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 09:52:45 pm »

My answers would be 60, 5. I too leave the tub open for at least 15 min when shocking with MPS.

After using the tub, I have a routine: Get out, turn on jets, put in dichlor, let the dog out, dry off, put on robe, take off wet suit, TRY to get the dog back in and close up lid, it seems to work for me. OK when it's really cold out, I'll dry off, put on robe and take off wet suit first ... the whole TRYING to get the dog in takes most of the time ... I've had her 6 years and I just finally learning to entice her with treats ... works every time! :D

I had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.  The only way I could get her to come in was with Oreos.  No other cookie would work.  

I wonder who trained who...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 09:52:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42