What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wiring for 50 amp GFCI?  (Read 70093 times)

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
Wiring for 50 amp GFCI?
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:11:51 pm »
Phew!  I'm amazed at how much time, effort and expense it takes just getting ready for my hot tub. (I'm a do-it-yourselfer-cuz-I'm-a-cheap-bugger kind of a guy). Seems that one solution just leads to another question.  Here's my latest...

The tub we've chosen requires a 50 amp circuit (actually drawing about 36 max).  The bad news  :'(is that I have a full fuse panel that already has a pony panel off it for the A/C and dryer.  The good news :) is that when we moved into the house, we changed the electric stove over to gas so... the stove circuit (35 amp using 8 gauge 3-wire) is now available for the hot tub! The best news ;D is that the unused stove wire is in EXACTLY the right position to take it out to the tub.  No fuss, no muss, just through the wall and into the GFCI breaker panel.

My question is this: will the 8 gauge wire be adequate to run the tub or do I need to upgrade to 6 gauge? (The tub is about 25-30 feet from the panel.) Thanks for your input!
...because integrity's the key

Hot Tub Forum

Wiring for 50 amp GFCI?
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:11:51 pm »

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
Re: Wiring for 50 amp GFCI?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:34:17 pm »
My brother is an electrician for a paper mill here in VA.  I asked him and he said that he would definately use to the #6 wire for the 50 amp circuit regardless of the length of the run.   Hope that helps!

-Law Dawg
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

dkersten

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:37:43 pm »
I am no electrician, but when I wired my Tiger River 50 amp gfci, I used the installation manual as a guide for wire sizes and it showed 8 guage for runs less than 100 feet.  Now your local Home Depot will tell you 6 guage is required for a 50 amp circuit, but the guage of wire is dependent on amp draw and length, not just amp draw..

I would say you are fine with 8 guage, assuming its less than 100 foot from the panel.. Just upgrade the breaker to a 50 amp and make sure there is 4 wires there.. a ground, a common, and 2 legs.. If there is only a ground and 2 legs, you will have to run a common because the gfci will not function without a proper common lead.  Its ok if the common and ground are hooked together in the breaker box, just so long as there is a ground rod connected to the box..

dkersten

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:09:18 pm »
I looked at a couple charts for wire sizing for pumps (my company wholesales water well pumps) and the thing is that AWG does not recommend #8 wire for more than 40 amps, although #6 is capable of running 50 amps continuous load over 300 feet.  So because of the American Wire Gauge charts, even though #8 can handle well over 50 amps continuous over 40 feet, electricians will recommend #6 for anything 50 amps or higher.. I dont know what electrical code is in your area, but that would be the best thing to refer to.

I do know that Hot Springs recommends #8 for 50 amps load less than 100 feet.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 06:10:06 pm by dkersten »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 06:22:19 pm »
Definitely do not use the wire that's in place.  If you follow this advice, go ahead and run #6 THHN copper...this will be greater than needed for a 50 amp circuit but, should you ever get another tub that utilizes a 60 amp circuit, the #6 would not have to be upgraded.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 06:50:53 pm »
I am not a electrician, but my father was. He taught me alot, enough to do the wiring for my entire home (and tub).
Be safe not sorry. Replace the existing wire with #6/4wire. Make sure the box breaker is 50 amp. and that you have the proper disconnect located 5 - 10 feet from the tub. Also you must have a GFCI breaker either at the main box or at the tub disconnect. I put my GFCI at the tub end, got the box with 50amp GFCI breaker at home depot for about $80, and put a std. 50amp breaker in the main box. Found that to be the least expensive route.
Again be safe not sorry, you don't want to risk electrocution or a fire. ;)

lagator43

• My wings are a shield of steel.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »
I wish mine was $80.00.  The Home Depot in Edmonton sells that 50 amp GFCI box for $255.00.  Where did you purchase yours?

I am not a electrician, but my father was. He taught me alot, enough to do the wiring for my entire home (and tub).
Be safe not sorry. Replace the existing wire with #6/4wire. Make sure the box breaker is 50 amp. and that you have the proper disconnect located 5 - 10 feet from the tub. Also you must have a GFCI breaker either at the main box or at the tub disconnect. I put my GFCI at the tub end, got the box with 50amp GFCI breaker at home depot for about $80, and put a std. 50amp breaker in the main box. Found that to be the least expensive route.
Again be safe not sorry, you don't want to risk electrocution or a fire. ;)

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 07:19:04 pm »
According to the national electric code for 3 wires in a cable or raceway, 90 deg ambient, #8 THHN is good for 55 amps. Being safe is one thing, being wasteful is another.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:23:11 pm by Repeat_Offender »
Bullfrog 562

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 07:41:29 pm »
I believe I ran #6 wire and I was at the 85 ft mark.

Ultimately, it's the manufacturer of the tub that will dictate which wire you run. They might void the warranty if an electrical problem ruins a circuit board. Ask you dealer and the township inspector!

Micah

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:05:50 pm »
According to the national electric code for 3 wires in a cable or raceway, 90 deg ambient, #8 THHN is good for 55 amps. Being safe is one thing, being wasteful is another.
Every state is different but in California #8 wire on a 50 amp breaker is not allowed. #6 is required by code.
I know everyone on this board is trying to help but I really feel you should ask the company that you purchased it from for advice. Some spa companies will void the warranty if your electical is not correct. Make sure you use the wire the is required by the manufacture.
Being "WASTEFULL" is one thing, but being "CHEAP" is another
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 08:12:29 pm »
Micah, agreed, but better yet ask your local liscensed electrician. Do not assume that your spa salesman knows anything about proper electrical installations.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 08:13:50 pm by Repeat_Offender »
Bullfrog 562

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 08:23:55 pm »
I am pretty sure to meet most building codes, #6 wire is required for any 50 amp service.  You may get by ok with #8 but when dealing with electric, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Jr

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 08:56:04 pm »
I am using an electrician who is a family friend.  Teacher full-time, been doing electrical work his whole life.  Does a great job!

Would you get the setup inspected by your local town?  We are choosing NOT to do so...

In Canada eh

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 09:38:50 pm »
Definitely do not use the wire that's in place.  If you follow this advice, go ahead and run #6 THHN copper...this will be greater than needed for a 50 amp circuit but, should you ever get another tub that utilizes a 60 amp circuit, the #6 would not have to be upgraded.

Posted by: ORANGEPEEL Posted on: Today at 6:50pm
Again be safe not sorry, you don't want to risk electrocution or a fire.  

Windsurfdog and Orangepeel have said all that I would have
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:40:48 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:09:35 pm »
I personally did not pull a permit, when installing my tub.

The main thing is making sure that everything is completely safe.  You are sitting in 300-500 gallons of water surrounded with 30-50 amps of 220v current.  If not setup correct it has the potential to be deadly.......

Jr

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:09:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42