What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Career Advice  (Read 9244 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Career Advice
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:03:09 am »
Wow, it is sad that I have come to this, or maybe it is because I feel like I know so many of you here.  I use to work as an officer for a different force.  It was a lot slower pace, safer areas, and all round a better quality of life.  I had freedom to patrol around a larger scale area, however, bordem kicked in.  I was 21 when I was hired, perhaps to young to appreciate it, so I decided to uproot my life and switch to the hustle and bustle of a major city department.

Since then, I have done everything that I could have imagined, never a dull moment.  I have been in countles encounters with bad people and still come out to talk about it.  The difference now, is my wife and two babies.  Life has changed for me a bit I guess.  I dont know how many of you are in my line of work, but policing offers you an adrenalane hit every day for the most part in the busy city.  

So, I have an opportunity to returning to my previous employer.  better advancement in specialized areas, slower pace, safer communities etc.  So what do I do?????????  I just cant decide if giving up the fun and excitement is for me.  My current employer is going through some major issues and job moral is at an all time low.  

Any advice????????

Hot Tub Forum

Career Advice
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:03:09 am »

96SC

Re: Career Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 10:57:33 am »
Wow, it is sad that I have come to this, or maybe it is because I feel like I know so many of you here.  I use to work as an officer for a different force.  It was a lot slower pace, safer areas, and all round a better quality of life.  I had freedom to patrol around a larger scale area, however, bordem kicked in.  I was 21 when I was hired, perhaps to young to appreciate it, so I decided to uproot my life and switch to the hustle and bustle of a major city department.

Since then, I have done everything that I could have imagined, never a dull moment. I have been in countles encounters with bad people and still come out to talk about it. [glow] The difference now, is my wife and two babies[/glow].  Life has changed for me a bit I guess.  I dont know how many of you are in my line of work, but policing offers you an adrenalane hit every day for the most part in the busy city.  

So, I have an opportunity to returning to my previous employer.  better advancement in specialized areas, slower pace, safer communities etc.  So what do I do?????????  I just cant decide if giving up the fun and excitement is for me.  My current employer is going through some major issues and job moral is at an all time low.  

Any advice????????

There shouldn't be any questions now!!!! 'Get the hell out of Dodge'.  If you want an adrenalane rush talk back to your wife every so often  ;D

Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:58:01 am »
Maybe this will help.

"Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls.
The balls are called work, family, health, friends and integrity.
And you’re keeping all of them in the air.
But one day, you finally come to understand that work is a rubber ball.
If you drop it, it will bounce back.
The other four balls - family, health, friends, and integrity - are made of glass.
If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered.
And once you truly understand the lesson of the five balls, you will have the beginnings of balance in your life."
---James Patterson, Suzanne's Diray for Nicholas

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:24:29 am »
I've always struggled with this.  A policeman, and firemen, and the milliary are required to put themselves in harms way to protect others.  Is it wrong for them to do so if they have children? Your wife is an adult and knows and agreeed to the conditions, but children? I honestly don't know. I don't have children. I have a very safe cushy job. (because of people liek Bosco)  

I don't dare even try to answer it for you. Only you and your wife can answer what's best for you familly.
07 Caldera Geneva

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 12:44:48 pm »

Since then, I have done everything that I could have imagined, never a dull moment.  I have been in countles encounters with bad people and still come out to talk about it.  The difference now, is my wife and two babies.  Life has changed for me a bit I guess.  I dont know how many of you are in my line of work, but policing offers you an adrenalane hit every day for the most part in the busy city.  

Any advice????????

Although I am not in law enforcement, I do a number of consulting-oriented things.  One thing that is critical in any job/role is understanding the current and future environments.  Whenever there is change/uncertainty (i.e. your department is in a state of flux), you have these types of questions.  Unless YOU are one of the factors making the determination of "what's next" you are often left with simply "accepting leaderships" guidelines.  So, my FIRST question is... How comfortable are you with the line you leadership is giving you on the future?  Do they KNOW what they are doing or are they "grasping at straws".  If it's it the later, take the other job.

You can always go to a drag strip or road track and run a car to get that adremilin rush...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 01:46:16 pm »
Wow, great advice from all.  I have always been a family first kind of guy and still am to this day.  I know it is the right move for me, but I struggle with the idea of going back to my original employer.  Part of me thinks that it is the status im giving up.  I work in a very poor working class, social assistance capital.  It is tough, and we work harder than most.  I guess the prestige sets in when you tell people where you work.

But lately, my organization has been fallen apart.  several officers have taken there own lives, injured officers off on long term injuries, stress leaves are the highest its ever been.  We are understaffed, and management is just starting to realize it.  Will it get better??? I dont know, right now I dont see it, but that is not to say it will change.

I just know that if I walk away now, it is done, I cant come back.  They will not take me forsure.  Plus I dont want to look like a jumper.  The other place I worked is provincially funded and the money flows better, courses are better, more posistions available etc etc etc.  But the area that I will be going to hopefully is all traffic.  It is the equivellant of a state trooper for you americans out there.  So my work will drastically change.

The adrenalane is just one aspect, it is so difficult to understand for some, but I m just scared of change.  Maybe this means im just not ready to go.  Family aside, is this the ride career move for me.  I just dont know, but I think so.......

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 02:42:20 pm »
 That is a decision that only you can make for you.

Can you truly (and be honest with yourself) picture yourself being satisfied with the kind of work you'll be doing if you move?  Because the higher pay, benefits, and all the bells and whistles you listed won't motivate you too long if you are unhappy in your job.  

If you see yourself being satisfied and happy- that's one thing.  But how miserable will you be if the opposite is true.  I don't know you or your wife, but I'd bet that Mrs. Bosco would back up whatever decision you made as long as you were satisfied.  

Nothing is more miserable than facing decades of doing something that is boring or unchallenging.  No money will overcome that, not for long, anyway.

Choose wisely, grasshopper.  I bet deep in your heart you know what the right thing to do.
Brewman

96SC

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 02:43:26 pm »
drewstar, cooltoy, ndabunka, Brewman...someone flip a coin and let's put this man out of his misery.

One flip only...no 2 out of 3 or best 3 out of 5, junk.  ONE flip!!!!!

bosco, call it........ :-/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 02:45:13 pm by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 02:53:17 pm »
Bosco, you could always do the list.  One side write the benifits of staying, and on the other side, write the benifits of leaving.  . Make the list, and then you can clearly see what's keeping you from makeing the move.

I think it;s pretty clear.

Also what's the career path with each job? Where will you be in 5 years? 10 years?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 03:05:32 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Webini

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 02:57:01 pm »
Bosco:

I have only one real regret in life.  I put work ahead of my family for many years.  My physical and mental health suffered due to the stress.

My advice is to put your family above all else.  Enjoy your kids and cherish your wife.

In Canada eh

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 05:17:52 pm »
Bosco,

I know your in Ontario and it sounds like the Greater Toronto area, I have seen the news and heard the stories of the escalating violence.  GET OUT NOW!

ALWAYS PUT YOUR FAMILY FIRST

I used to work at a job that caused me to work between 55 and 60 hours a week,  it was a very large amount of money and afforded me some really cool toys but no time to enjoy them or my family.   I switched to a job that is primarily 40 hours a week give or take and I am a lot happier and so is my wife.  Remember,  happy wife =good life :)

Sometimes things are actually better at a slower pace
Bullfrog 451

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 06:35:15 pm »
Although I'm not a police officer or fireman, I really admire the fact that they (you) can do what you do - day in and day out. I personally don't have the courage to do either.

Family puts things into a different perspective but there is a reason someone becomes a police officer. Think it through and trust your instincts.

I would probably opt for the slower paced job reguardless if I work there before or not. Children need a mother and father and being there and witnessing what they accomplish is one of the greatest joys of my life.

Do what you believe you and your family will benefit most from.

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 07:13:11 pm »
I'd give back all the overtime and special duty money I ever made working like a fool because I loved being a cop to get to spend one more day with my wife (lost her in a car accident June 15, 2002).

It's clear you know what to do, now it's time to do it.

Good luck and Godspeed brother.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 08:22:05 pm »
I was hoping that you were going to chime in!!!!  I know you are right and I have to do whats best.  Its going to be a big chapter of my life coming to a close.  I just really need to get past that in order to see the way.  Thanks for that, you couldnt have made it much clearer than that.

anne

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 01:46:50 am »
How much of it is that you'll miss the adrenaline rush, vs you'll miss feeling like what you do makes a big difference for others?

If part of your happiness at work stems from the feeling that this current job is more "real" and that the other is not as rewarding, then perhaps you can make a difference in other ways. At-risk school groups? other community outreach? You have a perspective on life and the city that others could benefit from.

Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 01:46:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42