What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pre-Fab Victorian Homes?  (Read 4984 times)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Pre-Fab Victorian Homes?
« on: May 03, 2007, 05:47:17 pm »

Anyone know the names of any of the companies you see
along the interstates in rural areas that sell those pre-fab
victorian looking homes with the wrap-around porches?

I know about Jim Walter Homes but those are more
traditional looking homes.

My brother and I may want to build a lake house but
don't want to spend a fortune. Just a weekend get-away
on the lot we already own.

We want a decent place and fill it with cool rustic furniture.....
but just not spend too much on the structure.

BTW....They do not allow mobile homes in this lake
subdivision nor would we want one.

Any company names would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ps: And yes Terminator it would be in East Texas
     so I will buy a tub from you for the lake house!
                                      ;)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 05:50:24 pm by Zep »

Hot Tub Forum

Pre-Fab Victorian Homes?
« on: May 03, 2007, 05:47:17 pm »

D.P. Roberts

Re: Pre-Fab Victorian Homes?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:02:57 pm »
I've looked into modular homes quite a bit - I'm pretty sure the house I'm in now is modular, but I can't tell. I've had building inspectors look at it and they can't tell for sure. Anyway, it's not necessarily cheaper than a traditional stick-built house- in terms of quality and price, they're very similar.

"Modular" can mean a variety of different things. It can mean that some sections or walls are completely finished (painted interior through exterior siding), or just building panels. Either way, the category covers any homes that are partially finished offsite, and then PERMANENTLY assembled / installed onsite on a foundation.

Mobile homes are an entirely different story, both in terms of their manufacturing methods (they don't have to meet most of the regular building codes) and their price (a fraction of modular or stick-built homes).

Here's a modular company you might want to check out:
http://www.easttexasmodular.com/

You might also want to look into a log home. If you go with a small, standard log home kit, it might be fairly inexpensive, and will give you the rustic look you want.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:05:28 pm by KevinofOH »
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 11:06:34 pm »
I've never seen a Victorian-style pre-fab but did consider a pre-fab for a mountain house/ski get-away.  Unfortunately, anytime to have two stories on a pre-fab, the pricing gets ridiculous so we only considered single story units between 1200 to 1800 square feet.  The units I looked at were by American Homes and they were "ok" and even though the salesperson was saying that they were well insulated and met code for the higher elevations (a requirement around here), they didn't seem that substantial to me.  But on the positive side, they were inexpensive (around $60K) so they were about 50% less expensive as a similar log cabin (our preferred choice).  My brother-in-law lived and his wife bought one and lived in it for four years until they were able to sell their two out-of-state fast-food franchises (subways in Oklahoma) and it was OK.  Seemed like a regular home for the most part.  Of course, after they sold the businesses, got into two more business and now are looking for a third, they live in a million dollar (paid for) Log Cabin on a nearby lake.  Save wisely and spend wisely will get you where you want to go.  One ting on the modulars is to make CERTAIN (get it in writting) from the neighborhood association that modulars are OK.  When we were shopping/planning one person would say "no problem, not an issue" and then the next person (someone on the street) would say "By-laws state no mobile homes or modulars"  (of course, I don't think he really knew what a modular was either) but I have seen things happen around the lake where someone pays $300K for a lot with the intention of putting a low-cost modular on there only to learn later that the restrictions require a "stick-built" home with a minimum of 2,900 square feet...

R-Anell (pronounced R-and-L) is headquartered in my home town (just norht of Charlotte, NC) and I think they make a good unit that looks Victorian. http://www.r-anell.net/main.cfm

Specifically, this one looks nice...http://www.r-anell.net/main.cfm?pagename=plandetail&planId=1131
Oops, that may be a little large for a "small get-away" @ 3,600sq ft.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:12:34 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

96SC

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 09:07:15 am »
We have a house with a wrap around porch, but it isn't pre-fab.  It was designed by Donald Gardner http://www.donaldgardner.com.  He has many home designs wth the type of porch you are looking for.  Our house is very similar to (W-MSN-314) is under the Country home plans, though he also has a 'Victorian' section of homes.  His plans come in various sizes also.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 09:09:18 am by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:20:18 am »
Thanks guys....

I will check all these suggestions out.

The lot is a sloping lake front lot, so
the front drive-up is normal but the back
side to the lake has to be a split level type
to compensate for the slope.

Here is a picture of the sloping lot:

Something like this may work...my incline is not quite as dramtic.

That split level may be a good place
for a deck with a hot tub in it!

;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 03:13:45 pm by Zep »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 08:56:50 am »
Check this out for some really nice prefabs:

http://money.aol.com/mortgage/fabulous-prefabricated-homes
07 Caldera Geneva

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 08:19:28 pm »
Check this out for some really nice prefabs:

http://money.aol.com/mortgage/fabulous-prefabricated-homes

Are you KIDDING???

Did you see who manufactures the "Chez Poupon" houses?

"Anyone skeptical of prefabricated and modular construction should learn more about Chez Poupon, home to a seasoned builder with more than 20 years of experience.

"Acting as general contractor, the builder chose to complete much of the finishing work on his own. Haven Homes delivered and assembled 15 bare-bone modules comprised of framings, insulation and drywall with only some wiring and plumbing completed."

I guess they should call it the Super Custom Fallsburg Poupon. Emphasis on the Poup.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 08:19:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42