What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is this considered a Full Foam Spa?  (Read 12081 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Is this considered a Full Foam Spa?
« on: July 06, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »

We removed this spa for a customer last week and replaced it with a Solana SX.  I had always thought this brand was a full foam spa.  It was 8 years old.

When folks on here talk about a spa being full foamed, is this what they mean?  If so, then I have been operating under a different perception.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Is this considered a Full Foam Spa?
« on: July 06, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Is this considered a Full Foam Spa?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 03:25:51 pm »
That looks like the "Full Foaming" on my old Nordic.  ::)  No way.

Too me, full foam means from the cabinet wall complete to the tub shell (except for the equipment bay).  

That tub isn't even a TP desing (no insulation on the cabinet wall)
Fess up, what brand is it?

07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 03:30:44 pm »
I left a tiny little clue visible....

Terminator

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 03:41:47 pm »
Is that an "M" on the control box lable? M as in MAster? IF so, I thought they had vinyl cabinets with steel frames. I can see wood from the inside.

Is that an "N" on the lable? for Nordic?  is so as I mentioned,  it looks suspicioly like one I had.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 03:43:47 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 03:52:40 pm »
Damnit.

It's a Marquis.   I'll be my Tiger River on it.

Marquis, doesn't say "Full Foam"  They say "Solid Foam"

Solid foam,  unless it's a liquid or gas foam, of course it's solid foam.  That's a deceitful phrase.

Our solid foam insulation and Low-E spa wrap prevent heat from escaping through the spa walls and base and have proven to be the best method of hot tub heat retention
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 03:54:56 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 04:01:40 pm »

Thermal pane spa.

Solid foam spa.

Hmmm....

Terminator

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 04:11:17 pm »
Actually, I stand corrected.    MArquis doe say Full Foamed.

http://www.marquisspas.com/qa.asp#7

... The low operational costs are due to the extra steps Marquis takes to ensure the highest quality, lowest maintenance, and most efficient spa on the market. We insulate the spa with heat reflecting Low-E spa wrap around the entire spa in addition to full foam insulation. The adjustable straps and linear heat seal assure the cover is sealed and energy efficient. The high-output, low-amperage industrial duty pumps run cool and work smoothly to keep operational cost to a minimum....

I declare shenanigans.
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 04:22:06 pm »
What do the other 3 sides look like? What killed that tub (how old)?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 04:31:55 pm »
What do the other 3 sides look like? What killed that tub (how old)?

We didn't remove the panels but they were puffed out.  I kicked it out of meanness and it warbled a bit and sounded hollow, like the Master Spas at the parking lot sale.  (The Master Spa cabinets were concave and the Marquis were convex)

Spa was 8 years old, pump went out and a couple of jets were leaking, nearest dealer is 70 miles away and won't service.

Terminator

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 04:33:19 pm »

I declare shenanigans.

If the accusations are true then the delcaration of shenanigans is just.  

Shenanigans it is!  Where's my broom?

Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 05:06:39 pm »
It looks like they took a holesaw on that Marquis and cut a hole in the top of that front vertical 2x4 and mounted a 2nd spa light lens in it (and put a hole in the front panel I imagine) to use it as an outside light. Novel idea, though I might have left the support alone and toe-nailed a scrap piece of wood next to it and drilled the hole in that.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

MarKee

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 05:38:10 pm »
Marquis used to have full foam as an option.  After analyzing warranty returned tubs that leaked, it was clear that a spa that is not full foamed is much more prone to leaking.  Now full foam is standard on all Marquis tubs and it looks nothing like that.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 05:52:27 pm »
Marquis used to have full foam as an option.  After analyzing warranty returned tubs that leaked, it was clear that a spa that is not full foamed is much more prone to leaking.  Now full foam is standard on all Marquis tubs and it looks nothing like that.

That's good to know.  I figured it was probably because it was an older spa.

What do they look like inside now?  Would you mind posting a pic either here or over on the Underwear topic?  I'm just curious to see what the different spas look like under the hood. ;D

Terminator

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 06:14:38 pm »
I have a question whats up with some of the Hot Springs guys here trying to be "coy" in what appears to be swipes at Marquis...One picture of a 8 year old spa is hardly representative of a line and just shows what someone wants to show....Maybe KIA should starting hanging out the repair shops for BMW and Lexus to see what older autos need some work....Or maybe we should all start posting about those full foam Watkins products that in fact foamed only on "three" sides....Its been my experience that when someone starts taking unsolicited jabs are someone its because there is a uncomfortable loss business to them...And if someone here has the documents to show what the specs were on that 8 year old spa please post them....I have to get some pictures of the Watkins stuff we come across that has that "outstanding" 5 year workmanship " ( could it possibly be any more vague) guarantee on its cabinet but excludes you know the things that actually take place in a backyard like fading, warping or discoloring that gets chalked up to "normal wear and tear" but Marquis covers against for a full 7 years...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 06:20:26 pm »
I'm not taking any potshots and I'm sorry if it appears that way.  I just took these photos because I had to go help the guys remove it because it was a heavy sucker and it was down in the deck about 4 inches.

I've always said I thought Marquis makes a fine spa and this one was in pretty good shape for one that old.

I'm sure not concerned about losing sales as the Marquis dealer went out of business almost 6 years ago and they've never come back.

I just always thought they were full foam and to my way of thinking, that ain't full foam.  Markee cleared that up and I'm satisfied. :)

Terminator

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 06:20:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42