What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A Question To All You Car Buffs ...  (Read 3536 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
A Question To All You Car Buffs ...
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:10:25 pm »
I have a question about headlights.

Although I like to soak in the dark when it come to driving at night I like a lot of light.

My car has the projection type headlights and I was thinking of buying the lamps that are 30 to 50% brighter to get more light out there. I'm not looking to make the car an "HID" look alike but want some more light even though this type of headlight design seems to be the best I've ever driven. I went onto some car forums to read info and it usually turns into converting to HID.

From what I've read the Silverstar lights burn out very quickly and are extremely expensive ... I was thinking towards the lines of the Extravision that are around $17 a pair.  I went to an auto parts store and Walmart and they didn't have the bulbs that I would need, as I was going to buy them.

My understanding of optics is that projector lenses have a fixed focal spot but the reflector type can be made to shine differently depending on where the light is placed (dual beam headlights). Reading the lamp ads, they mention "projects" further or wider or whatever their hawking. My thought is the lense will only give me so much distance but the light may be brighter.

Has anyone done this or have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

A Question To All You Car Buffs ...
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:10:25 pm »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: A Question To All You Car Buffs ...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 06:18:38 pm »
The brighter the light, the farther the distance.  Simple physics right?  Changing to Xenon's gives the greatest distance and they have to be adjusted so as to not shine in oncoming traffic view.  However, they also REQUIRE additional components most standard wiring systems do not have natively.  If you drive a car with this system, you will see a definite line (bright against darkest) and the light generally has a blueish tint.   Yes, the silver stars can generally be used in the same bulb receptor and will be slightly brighter and often white-er.  They do draw more energy but not enough to require an additional ballast.  A number of the car shops (AutoZone, pep boys, etc)  have blue-tinted light but they really don't provide the Xenon distance.  It's just a cheap way for "kids" (16-25 year olds) to make their cars seem more important than they really are.  Almost every car I have had for the past 8 years has had Xenon's as a stock component but my wife's SUVs have often been simply halogen's and since they ride higher, that is really all that was really needed on hers.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:55:34 pm »
The brighter the light, the farther the distance.  Simple physics right?  Changing to Xenon's gives the greatest distance and they have to be adjusted so as to not shine in oncoming traffic view.  However, they also REQUIRE additional components most standard wiring systems do not have natively.  If you drive a car with this system, you will see a definite line (bright against darkest) and the light generally has a blueish tint.   Yes, the silver stars can generally be used in the same bulb receptor and will be slightly brighter and often white-er.  They do draw more energy but not enough to require an additional ballast.  A number of the car shops (AutoZone, pep boys, etc)  have blue-tinted light but they really don't provide the Xenon distance.  It's just a cheap way for "kids" (16-25 year olds) to make their cars seem more important than they really are.  Almost every car I have had for the past 8 years has had Xenon's as a stock component but my wife's SUVs have often been simply halogen's and since they ride higher, that is really all that was really needed on hers.

Thanks for that, I don't 100% agree with the brighter the light the longer the distance if there is optics involved.  I know very little about optics and am trying to equate it to photography, a microscope or magnifing glass - there is a definite focal spot on a magnifing glass. I think that it will project a little further due to more light but not by a lot unless the focal distance is changed (which in my car can't be done). I'm thinking the projector lenses have a finite range, just like a projector showing a movie. Focus in on a screen and the picture shines correctly move it closer the picture needs to be refocused but it is brighter or move it further from the screen and the image needs to be refocused and it is dimmer. I'm thinking a non focused light  is no where near as bright as focused (mag light) but I can be all wrong.

From what I've read about Xenons they are projector based and I guess they can have their focus at a longer distance vs my car. My car has a definite backwards "Z" to it's light output with the bottom of that "Z" on the driver's side. I'm not looking to upgrade an entire system. I don't need a "blue white" light that it seems some people are going for. I'm also looking for a street legal bulb, apparently there are a lot of non street legal bulbs out there. I saw Philips puts out a bulbs as does Sylvania that produce about 30% more light. I guess I'll try to find the bulbs and try them out .. of course I did go to the only 2 places I know of.

Thanks agian.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 06:45:39 am »
Just a caution about the SilverStar bulbs....

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango RT.  When it was new, I installed the brighter SilverStar bulbs.  Last year, I noted one of my headlights was out of alignment. So when I brought it back to the dealer for an oil change, I asked them to realign the lights.  Later that day, I got a call from the dealer who told me that these brighter bulbs had essentially melted the area of the light where the adjustment screws were.  They were able to jury-rig something to hold the bulbs in place and it has held since then, but they told me they will have to replace the headlight housings if the lights again go out of alignment.

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 07:02:44 am »
Heat was also a concern of mine ... 30% more light means 30% more heat ... I guess I'll think it through some more.

Thanks!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:08:36 am »
you're not thinking of getting those super bright white lights that, regardless of the setting  blind all on coming trafic are you?

07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:53:33 am »
The way the lense projects there is a definite backwards "Z" with the light cutoff low on the drivers side. I don't think a brighter light would blind oncoming traffic, but I don't know.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:53:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42