What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another kitchen question  (Read 6557 times)

anne

Another kitchen question
« on: April 07, 2007, 12:23:54 am »
I have never cooked with a gas oven. Can anyone comment positively or negatively? I'm getting a range, and debating gas vs dual fuel. I DEFINITELY want a gas stovetop.

There is a great deal on an "open box" gas range nearby........I'd love to pounce on it, but I'm afraid I'm going to regret not having an electric oven.

thanks!!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

Another kitchen question
« on: April 07, 2007, 12:23:54 am »

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
Re: Another kitchen question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 12:58:11 am »
I quite like mine, but there is a marked difference between it and electric.  I think the heat regulates better, but it takes longer to stabilize (big swing after preheat before it settles).  Broiling is obviously far superior to electric since you have actual flame.  Mine is dual gas/electric, where the electric is solely for the self cleaning cycle, one major item that gas can't accomplish.  This is nice, but to be honest I've never used it on this range so I can't comment on effectiveness.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 04:44:51 am »
The effieciency of gas used to be better, but as the prices rise the cost has evened out on both electric and gas. I do not have gas in my house so have no choice but have spent a bit more and looked around for a better electric and the heat up time on the range is now very comparable to gas, acualy almost instant, like gas. I like my electric. But I am sure either way is fine for a lousy cook like me.
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 08:02:48 am »
I've only have had gas stoves and ovens all my life and they work great. No problems cooking with them and oven works great. There may be hot spots in the gas ovens (all the way on top) but this might be true with electric as well, I don't know. I think the convection type ovens look interesting but don't know if you have a choice in gas vs electric. I'm not a cook, I'm an eater!!!!

As far as self cleaning - gas ovens can self clean. My oven turns both broiler and oven jets on at the same time when it does it's self clean.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 10:53:06 am »
IMO, gas for a cooktop (electric doesn't come close);  electric with convection for the oven (better control) works best for a home.  Having ties to the food industry, gas convection ovens are common in a commercial kitchen...but everything is done with high heat.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 10:23:25 am »
I've had electric ranges with the coil tops, electric with ceramic top, and now gas.
 To me and the Mrs., the gas oven works every bit as well as the electrics did.
And Mrs. B. would let me know in a hurry if the oven wasn't up to snuff- she uses it quite a bit.  And it self cleans every bit as well as the electrics did.
Gas burner by far preferred by my over either electric.  Not as fussy about pans, either.  
 Energy cost gas vs electric isn't an issue.  Neither one makes that big of a difference in the utility bill.  
Of all the major appliances in the house, the range probably uses the least energy- it's only on for a short time per day, and not on at all some days.  
On the other hand, the fridge, dishwasher, washer and dryer, and water heater could have more impact on the energy bill.  Stove?  Not enought to worry about.
Brewman

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:00:19 pm »
Huh - I had always believed gas ovens were not self clean, but 'continuous clean' (i.e. no dedicated self clean cycle).  Clearly I'm wrong, there are a bunch of gas ovens out there with self clean.  Does anyone know why dual fuel ranges carry such a price premium?

Edit: Googled and looked through some kitchen forum threads on this same topic.  Most of them seem to agree that electric ovens have a more consistent temperature and can cook more evenly (though there's some debate about that).  Also, for convection ovens, a "true" convection oven requires a third heating element behind the fan, which isn't done with gas ovens.  

More people as confused as me ;) http://www.frenchcookingboard.com/forums/cooking-equipment/1200-ranges.html
http://www.frenchcookingboard.com/forums/cooking-equipment/1581-just-bought-a-new-house-2-days-ago.html
Dual-fuel vs. gas: http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=66622
An unhappy gas oven owner (and it's a Viking): http://www.frenchcookingboard.com/forums/cooking-equipment/1523-range-question.html
A long post from Garden Web on Dual-fuel vs. gas: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0320571117809.html?1

The GardenWeb post has a lot of info, and I believe the FAQ and the responses together arrive at the truth.

FAQ: "For the cleaning part, gas ovens are almost never self-cleaning. Self-cleaning ovens work by heating the oven to around 800-900 F, which is hot enough to incinerate any spills to dust. After running a self-cleaning cycle, all you have to do is wipe the oven out with a damp towel, and it is clean. Gas ovens cannot get this hot, and the moisture produced by the combustion of gas hinders the cleaning as well."

ellene613's Response: "Especially in midpriced home ranges, the ovens usually are self-cleaning. They just don't get as hot or self-clean as well as electric."

I also agree with ellen that my gas range is loaded with electronics, but the FAQ author acknowledged he was only looking at high-end ranges.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:30:43 pm by mattNY »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 10:56:54 pm »
Funny thing ... I just went to sears.com and looked for a similar stove that we bought and it seems that at the price level we paid 4 years ago, approx $400, they don't make gas self cleaning ovens any more. I have a GE and it definitely self cleans, there's a lock on the door and a clean setting on the dial.

Maybe they realized that gas ovens can't self clean that well, I thought mine did a good job.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 10:58:03 pm by Vinny »

anne

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 05:45:34 am »
I just had a BUSY night at work......read your replies (thanks all) and looked at those links (thanks MattNY) and I think earned myself a dual fuel range tonight...... :).

anne

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 12:44:52 am »
There is no turning back now.......I bought a fridge, bought the dual fuel Bosch range, and talked my dad into making cabinets for me!!!!!!! (It was a long gradual process. I do believe that he really wanted to do it all along.)

I have designed the cabinets (mostly) narrowed down my countertop choices from 2 billion to about 10, and chosen basic flooring style, and a range hood style, and a sink style. Backsplashes and lighting are still a mystery to me.

I have literally been losing sleep over this, even though my boyfriend just looks at me funny and says "its just a kitchen.".........but it is a PROJECT!!  

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 09:18:20 am »
Don't worry Anne, it will all come together.  I decided not to worry about a backslash yet because I haven't found anything that I LOVE.  I figure when I find it, I'll know it.  It can always be done later.  What are you thinking for lighting?  recessed, pendants, under cabinet etc?  Remember, you can never have too much light in the kitchen.  I have all of the above and all are on dimmers.  

No use losing sleep, take your time and enjoy the process!  (I know, it's easy to say)
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:36:15 am »
This may sound strange but I loved the tile on my floor, so I got the contractor to cut it  and make me a back splash about 5 inches high . I went with a neutral look Corian so the tile brings the floor color up to the counter surface. I topped the cut edges of the tile with maple quarter round molding that matched my cabinets. I's different, but I really like it.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

anne

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 02:11:59 am »
That sounds nice, Boni. I think I'll be doing tile backsplashes, too, and matching the floor makes a lot of sense. I think I'll do something with more color that the floor will have, but same idea.

I'm going to be doing a lot of this on my own, so I'm looking forward to learning a LOT. :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 02:11:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42