What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dichlor differences?  (Read 4835 times)

Gil

Dichlor differences?
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:48:37 am »
Saw a few spa chemicals on the shelf at a small, local hardware store the other day so I checked the ingredients and prices just out of curiosity.  Since I got a good supply of chemicals when I got my tub a month ago, I won't need any for quite some time, nor would I consider buying it from this store anyway.  
Anyhow, all of the chemicals were HTH brand but something caught my eye.  They had a bottle of HTH Spa Shock for $4.59 it was a 1 pound bottle with exactly the same ingredients listed on the Spa Chlorinating Granules and in exactly the same amounts but the Chlorinating granules were like $7 for the same amount......both said 99% Dichlor, 1% Inert, and 56% Available Chlorine. Both of these products contain Cyanuric acid if I'm not mistaken...the only thing that I don't know is how much?  There can't be the same amounts of Dichlor in these two products.  Anyone have the answer?

Take Care,
Gil  

Hot Tub Forum

Dichlor differences?
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:48:37 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Dichlor differences?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 10:17:27 am »
This is the great marketing scam!

It is very possible that it IS the same stuff.

There was a thread on here a few weeks back where it was argured (mostly by me) that ALL dichlor is pretty much the same ... if you look at the ingredients and find dichlor that is pretty with the same ingredients, why buy a "name brand" for 2x more.

You can buy a 50 lb tub of dichlor and it'll be close to the 2 lb spa dichlor.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 03:19:57 pm »
Were they both dichlor?  HTH is none for calcium hypochloride, as opposed to sodium dichlor.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 05:44:31 pm »
Sam's club sells a 70 pound bucket of dichlor for about $100- call it about $1.30/pound.  
 When bought in #5 containers, the cost is between $4 or $5 per pound from what I've seen.  
Brewman

Gil

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 06:49:24 pm »
They were most definately both Dichlor. I did a little more checking around and found a website that says that the HTH spa shock is one half Cynaruic acid by weight.  However, the Chlorinating granules don't say anything about even having CYA let alone it being 1/2 of what's in the bottle.  I know that there is stabilizer in the regular chlorinating granules, just wish I knew how much so that I could compare apples to apples.  Surely, not all Dichlor has 50% stabilizer by weight....does it?

Take Care and thanks for the responses,

Gil

anne

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 07:03:00 pm »
Surely, not all Dichlor has 50% stabilizer by weight....does it?

Is that all that surprising, since most of them have 50-60% active chlorine?
Dance like nobody's watching

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 04:50:40 pm »
They were most definately both Dichlor. I did a little more checking around and found a website that says that the HTH spa shock is one half Cynaruic acid by weight.  However, the Chlorinating granules don't say anything about even having CYA let alone it being 1/2 of what's in the bottle.  I know that there is stabilizer in the regular chlorinating granules, just wish I knew how much so that I could compare apples to apples.  Surely, not all Dichlor has 50% stabilizer by weight....does it?

Take Care and thanks for the responses,

Gil

All dichlor is almost half CYA by weight.

Gil

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 04:59:20 pm »
Thanks Tony, that's the information that I was looking for.
Take Care,
Gil

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 04:59:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42